Toronto - Last Minute Ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last minute trip arriving this Saturday around noon, staying at Fairmont Royal York (great Priceline deal) departing Monday around noon. Only plans are lunch res at CN Tower 1:30 PM Saturday, then dinner res Sunday evening at Buca. We had planned on the St. Lawrence market, but closed Sunday and Monday (poor planning on our part) and Toronto Islands also now closed due to flooding. Looking for things to do walking distance from hotel, we are walkers so easily cover 10 – 12 miles plus a day. We like interesting/historic neighborhoods, window shopping (no malls), glass of wine/lunch at unique spot, no museums. As of now thinking Kensington Market and Distillery district, but where else? Saturday dinner wanted to eat at Richmond Station, but booked so now looking at Pearl Diver. We like Italian (not red sauce), seafood, regional Canadian, any comments/ideas? Reservations at nicer places hard to come by Saturday night, don't want anything forma/fancy prefer fun with great food.
Old May 25th, 2017, 12:49 PM

In the Distillery District go to Pure Spirits OysterHouse, The chef is excellent with seafood. If it's a nice day, they have a big patio as well.
Old May 25th, 2017, 04:21 PM

Check out the website for the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) to use the essential bus, tram and subway connections. You have hit the start of a big medical convention so the centre of the city will be busy. Old Fort York is not far away, under the train tracks (the Royal York was built by the railway) and will given Americans a somewhat different view of the strife of old between the two countries. Speaking of strife, the Hockey Hall of Fame is a few blocks east of your hotel and as Canadian as possible. There's lots of live theatre; go on-line. The Young Theatre at the Distillery District is always active in a couple of halls and with plenty to choose from. Also go on-line to see what the Mirvish theatres are offering in the way of Broadway shows, most of them easily accessible from your hotel.
Old May 25th, 2017, 04:23 PM

PS: The Steam Whistle Brewery, occupying an old railway facility between the CN Tower and the Air Canada hockey/basketball rink, offers tours, again an easy walk from your hotel.
Old May 25th, 2017, 06:40 PM

Hi! I enjoyed the tour of Casa Loma. Chinatown and the Gerrard Street Bazaar (latter has lots of Indian restaurants and some garment stores) I often try to make it to. The neighbourhood known as Beaches if you can't get to the Islands has some delightful lakeside views also. I like the neighbourhood sometimes known as West Queen West, Little Portugal/Italy and the nearby residences. Definitely consider using the TTC in addition to walking--the streetcars will be helpful getting you to a few of the areas I mention.

Bata Shoe Museum was fascinating, more than I would have thought (appreciating history more than shoes, turns out there was a lot of history!); right near the ROM if that appeals to you. The AGO I liked for its collection of early Canadian art.

Enjoy! Toronto's a great city! Daniel
Old May 25th, 2017, 07:02 PM

Starting on Front St. You could head to the waterfront and Queens Quay to the South

or head North to Queen St West, a collection of boutiques, vendors, and bistros...

Nearby, stroll through Chinatown and Kensington...

Take the subway to Yorkville, a ritzy shopping and dining area that the Hollywood crowd frequents while filming in TO. There you will also find the museums mentioned above...
Old May 26th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks All. Supposed to have on/off showers Sunday so the museums and/or Casa Loma ideas may come in handy. From TTC site it looks fairly easy to navigate. Do you need cash for the buses?