Ireland Trip

Old May 19th, 2017, 08:39 AM
ksm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Trip

Planning a week in Ireland and trying to decide two cities for a base to take day trips from. I am thinking Galway and Killarney. (I have been to Dublin and think I want to explore the west coast).

What do you think? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:58 AM

"to take day trips from" if these are Coach type day tours fine. be aware you will loose half a day travelling between the two and you need to be by the airport the night before Departure.
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:50 AM
ksm
Original Poster

We will have a rental car, so what I mean by "day trips" are sights from each location within about 30 minutes - one hour from each location. We really do hate to pack up each night to move to a different hotel, so I would like to stay put for at least 3 nights in each location.

We plan to fly out of Cork (to Paris) so I don't think I need a night for that if I get a late enough flight. (Google maps shows one hour from Killarney to Cork). Unless a day in Cork would be worth it???

I guess I could possibly look into some kind of 7 night tour package, but I usually get motion sickness when I go on bus trips, so that is why we usually just rent a car and plan our own trips.
Old May 19th, 2017, 01:04 PM

Don't take the times given on route finding software too seriously. if flying out of Cork you need to be in Cork or Kinsale rather than Killarney.

If you fly into Shannon have day one for Galway and the direct area.
Day 2 a Connemara tour, self drive gives scope.
Day 3 drive down through west Clare for the Burren and Cliffs to Ennis or Adare or?
Day 4 head for Killarney and sights around there. If you stayed in Adare or took the Shannon ferry Listowel. you could drive round the Dingle figure of eight.
Day 5, Ring of Kerry counterclockwise from Killarney
Day 6 down to Cork or Kinsale
Day 7 depart to Paris.
Old May 21st, 2017, 01:18 AM
ksm
Original Poster

Thanks Tony2phones. It looks like a good suggestions. I will start looking for possible hotels to stay in
Old May 21st, 2017, 12:37 PM
ksm
Original Poster

Should we consider a private car tour? I have heard that it might be a good idea to hire a driver for an Ireland tour instead of trying to drive ourselves in a rental car (especially with the comment "don't take route finding software too serious". Or as long as we take our time and plan enough time for each journey, it will be doable on our own? Any suggestions for private drivers that are good but not too expensive?
Old May 21st, 2017, 02:03 PM

Good itinerary suggestion from Tony2phones and I would just like to expand day 2. Connemara is quite a large area so I would omit the South and go Galway - Roundstone - Clifden - Letterfrack then take a slight detour to Leenane via tullycross-Lettergesh (Scenic route. this area was the location for the movie "The field". From Leenane if time will allow you may wish to return to Galway round Lough Corrib to Cong (location for the movie "the Quiet Man")and also Ashford Castle. A long day but worth it.
Enjoy your trip!!
Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:09 AM

Killarney is more country-ish, so you'll be looking at mountains and gardens and the like. Galway is a big beautiful city with more urban activities to do.