I Will NEVER Vacation on Kauai Again!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

… because (OMG) now I LIVE there!!!! Yes, Songdoc has made the move to paradise, and it’s quite a story.

Our house in Nashville was built in 1949 and is needing extremely expensive repairs. It’s in a very exclusive area where every house that goes on the market is bulldozed and replaced by a mega-mansion. We were probably facing $100,000 in repairs that would not be recouped when we’d sell. So that was the push we needed to say “Aloha!”

I had my heart set on Kauai’s North Shore--and a beautiful view was mandatory. A “beautiful” view could be mountains, but to be honest, I yearned to see and hear the ocean.

For eight months we checked every listing and nothing came on the market anywhere near our price range that had the view--and was big enough. (i.e., Sealodge has the views, but at 766 sf for a 2-bedroom, we would have felt like we were living in a hotel room; Pale ke Kua had gorgeous views, but we hated the second bedrooms because they’re tiny lofts with no windows or ventilation.)

As more time went by we realized that we had three options: a single home in Wainiha (with beautiful mountain views, but awfully remote, and subject to the one-lane bridges washing out several times a year); Villas of Kamalii or Villas on the Prince, which are beautiful, newer, gated, spacious townhouses. Some of the Villas have great mountain views, but to see those views you have to look over rooftops, which sort of tainted the views for me.

The only chance of an oceanfront view seemed to be a condo at Ali’i Kai I. It’s an older, tired complex, but some of the units have great views and they felt big enough for the two of us. Hmmm…maybe we could renovate a unit if the view was right. But…in 8 months, not one unit came up for sale. Our realtor explained that most of them are investment properties used as vacation rentals--and the rentals were doing so well, nobody was selling.

We were about to give up hope of ever getting the oceanfront setting we really wanted, and were about to make an offer on one of the Villas when our realtor made a last-ditch effort. He sent a letter to the owner of every oceanfront unit at Ali’i Kai. He received one response -- from the owner of a unit with one of the best views, but the price was high, and if we bought it we were going to have to gut the interior to make it acceptable. We’re not pretentious, but it was pretty bad. But then… he received one more call from an owner and it was everything we could have hoped for--and more.

So last week we moved into probably the best location in Ali’i Kai. The ocean views are SPECTACULAR. It’s a corner unit with double the views, a wrap-around lanai (that faces two directions), and cross-ventilation. The previous owners had done a complete renovation: bamboo hardwood floors; granite countertops; new bathroom and kitchen cabinets; beautifully tiled master bathroom, and … they sold it completely furnished and decorated. Their taste is much better than ours and we never would have spent so much on furniture!

So, if I’m gushing it’s because I am sitting on my lanai with stunning ocean views and albatrosses swooping by, and it is better than anything we had even hoped for! Sometimes, dreams really do come true!

Next: what we’ve been doing since we arrived…
Old May 6th, 2017, 02:05 PM

CONGRATULATIONS! Now.....I can ask you more questions for my next trip.
Old May 6th, 2017, 02:15 PM

How wonderful! Congrats to you!

We do dream of moving to Kauai, but I don't think it is in our future.
Old May 6th, 2017, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can relate, somehwat, having lived on Oahu for three years sometime ago. If we had not moved to the beach in Florida I would have been back in Hawaii but there were many considerations. Enjoy your new home.
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:27 PM

how wonderful for you... congratulations
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:43 PM

That's fabulous - to end up in your favorite place on earth! Congratulations.
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:55 PM

How wonderful! Congratulations.
Old May 6th, 2017, 04:20 PM

I have always loved to read your trip reports! I am SO HAPPY for you! That really does just make me smile.
Old May 6th, 2017, 04:45 PM

Good for you. I bet you could qualify as an Expert on TripAdvisor now.
Old May 6th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the good wishes.
Old May 6th, 2017, 07:27 PM

Jealous. But happy for you. Your trip reports have taken us to many a good meal in our favorite place.
Old May 6th, 2017, 11:32 PM

Congratulations, Songdoc! I have a friend moving right next door to the Ali`i Kai this month. Maybe he's there already... He raises roosters, so you might have heard of him?
Old May 6th, 2017, 11:33 PM

Only joking..... I know the roosters are disappearing from many parts of Kauai nowadays!

Old May 7th, 2017, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's wonderful! Your story brought a smile to my face. Enjoy your home in paradise.
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:46 AM

Congratulations and best wishes for your new home.
Old May 7th, 2017, 01:25 PM

Wonderful news. Sometimes it pays to wait for the right spot to settle down. I hope you're sitting on the lanai and enjoying the view as I write.
Old May 8th, 2017, 03:02 AM

Wonderful - had 3 happy family trips there- the roosters put me off though!!!!!!
Old May 8th, 2017, 04:09 AM

Fabulous real estate story with a moral that persistence pays off!
Old May 8th, 2017, 07:05 AM

wow, how wonderful that it came together so perfectly. It was meant to be, congratulations!
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:19 AM

Wow Congratulations Songdoc! It sounds perfect!
Now you'll never have to write a "trip report" again! Would love to see pictures of your view!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -