Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurant suggestions in Lyon France? Overwhelmed!

Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My young adult daughter and I will be in Lyon in May for only 2 nights. I would like one nice meal, but not at 3 star Michelin prices. Maybe 200 euros for a two of us. Then maybe 2 or 3 other restaurants more moderate. I am totally overwhelmed trying to hone in on a top 3 or 4 restaurants. These are among the restaurants that look interesting to me looking at previous fodors forums, other reviews, and restaurant websites:
Le Garet
Jeremy Galvin
Daniel and Denise
Au Petit Bouchon Chez
La Mere Brazier
LArchange
Tetedoie
Takeo Takano
Le Portager or Le Bistro de Portager

Any recommendations to help me choose a few or weed out any? Or new suggestions I haven't considered? We will have several days after this in Provence and then in Paris, but want to take advantage of Lyon's reputation as an excellent food capital for the short time we are there.
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 02:24 PM

Go for the splurge:

http://www.bocuse.fr/fr/
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Unless this will be one of the best meals of my life, I don't want to splurge quite this much! Looks like about 200 euros a person for the most basic meal and much more for a more upscale dinner. I love great food (from New Orleans) but it doesn't seem like it will be such an experience to be worth that much. Am I wrong? I don't care about notoriety, just an unforgettable meal. If it is worth it, I will do it, but are there other suggestions?
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 11:25 AM

My son are there (courtesy of his rich aunt) and said it was good but not worth the money to him. But of course Bocluse is very famous. Anthony Bourdain went there on his show.

Topping for others who may have more relevant eateries to mention.
Old May 5th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

I have chosen Daniel et Denise, Jeremy Galvan, and Le Canut et Les Gones for our three reservation meals in Lyon. If you have any different recommendations or thoughts, please let me know. We are looking forward to our visit next week!
Old May 5th, 2017, 11:39 PM

I don't think you need to fret over this. It's hard to eat badly in Lyon, and chances are you're not such a gourmand as to notice if everything isn't perfect. My French friends from Lyon and I always have a great meal at Les Trois Cochons.
Old May 6th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

No doubt, StCirq! I tend to overthink meals, and main focus will be to enjoy Lyon. Happy to get one more rec on restaurants and looking forward to our short visit there.
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We also ate at Les Trois Cochons and had a very good meal there. As StCirq said, food was consistently good everywhere in Lyon. I have a TR that describes where we ate
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-from-lyon.cfm
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much yestravel. Leaving on trip this evening!
Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:15 AM

There is a lot of good restaurants in Lyon and you're sure to find restaurants at the price that you want.
Most of the restaurants are on the Presqu'île, near Bellecour or in the old town.
Most of the famous "Bouchons lyonnais" are in the old city.

There is also really good restaurants at "rue des marronniers", it's close to Bellecour.

Here is a list of some good restaurants in Lyon, if you want to have a look : https://www.appart-ambiance.com/fr/n...ses-gourmandes

Hope it will be helpfull
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all feedback before our trip. We loved Lyon- smaller than Paris, beautiful Cathedral and fun wandering around in the old part of the city, few tourists compared to Paris, nice Market, and great food. Barely scratched the surface. Just enough to know we need to return soon. Easy train ride on jet lag day from Paris, and short train ride to Provence at the end of our stay for the next leg of our trip. All feedback that we need not worry about finding good food was right on target. We had our first dinner at Daniel et Denise (Crequi) and loved it. Very friendly service and good food. Very reasonable. Next day lunch was at Jeremy Galvin. 7 course meal (prob 14 counting extras) with wine pairing. Delicious, though warranted a nap afterwards. The supper that night ended up being a small app at L'Ange Di Vin wine bar near our hotel. Then Market food the next day. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Lyon.
Old May 27th, 2017, 11:50 PM

It's good to hear about your food adventure in Lyon. Many people agree that Lyon is a gastronomy city ^^
Seems like your France trip went well.