Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Five Day Spain Itinerary - Any favorites must see's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have five free day's in Spain and I'm trying to settle on the best itinerary. I've already done Madrid and Barcelona. I will be in Madrid and then I am planning to head south from there. I'd like to do Toledo, Seville and Granada but I'm thinking 5 day's and 5 night's is probably not enough time to do all three. Any thought's on that?

Does anyone have a favorite between those three cities? Is there one I can take out? Or could I do all three in five day's?

I typically like to mix a half day of sites with a half day of wandering around a city and exploring on my own. I like good food and nightlife can be important but it's not a deal breaker in either direction.

Any other favorite spots in Spain that people recommend over these three locations? I'm all ears!
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 12:31 PM

As you know, 5 days is very little time for Andalucia plus Toledo. Were I you, I'd spend two days (1 night) in Toledo, a daytrip to Segovia, and then take the fast train to Salamanca for two days (1 night). Think that adds up to 5.

Otherwise, forget Toledo and take the train to Seville for three days and go on to Granada for two. I suppose from Seville you could make a daytrip to Cordoba, too.

Good luck !
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 01:02 PM

As Beda says, stick with Sevilla and Granada. With three days in Sevilla, Córdoba might be okay for a few hours, but you'd be taking away quality time in Sevilla in the process, once you factor in all of the travel time. And don't forget the time you'll spend checking into and out of your hotels.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 01:13 PM

When is your trip? If it's soon and your goal is to see the Alhambra, then make sure tickets are still available. They offer a limited number of same-day tickets, but you have to get in line very early for any hope of snagging one.
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 04:54 PM
kja

Like Bedar, I'd skip Andalusia this trip (much as I loved it!) and wait until you can give it more time.

And like Bedar, I'd go to Salamanca (at least 2 nights, maybe 3), Segovia, and maybe Avila.

JMO.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 08:45 AM

well, you obviously COULD do those 3 cities in 5 days, you just wouldn't have very long in any one of them. You could do 1 day Toledo, 2 days Sevilla and 1 day Granada, with the excess time for getting between them.

Of those 3 cities, my favorite is Sevilla. If I were you, I'd throw out Granada, you can do Toledo and Sevilla in 5 days.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 08:45 AM

oh, the reason is that Granada is just too difficult logistically for transportation with the rest of your itinerary. It's just an outlier.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 10:15 AM

You can easily go to Cordoba with the high speed train on the way to Seville. But you'll be spending so little time in Seville. Granada needs more advanced planning (the tickets to the Alhambra).
You could take the train to Seville, spend 4 nights there, then to Cordoba for an overnighter and then to Seville. If you take an early train to Cordoba and a late train to Madrid the next day you can enjoy all the sights of Cordoba.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 10:41 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Three nights in Seville or Malaga, two nights in Merida.

Mark
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 10:45 AM

Seville is one of my favorite cities! You'll find much to do there and you can easily spend three or more days there. Check out the bullfighting museum. Triana, across the river is a great place for wandering, food and drink. Have a great time.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 11:56 AM

<i> With three days in Sevilla, Córdoba might be okay for a few hours, but you'd be taking away quality time in Sevilla in the process, once you factor in all of the travel time.</i>

Totally agree with this - I was just in Sevilla last week for two full days and two half days. We had thought about going to Cordoba one day, but quickly realized that there was too much we wanted to do in Sevilla, so stayed in town. Good decision for us.
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 05:16 PM

Stay in Madrid. Visit toledo and Segovia as day trips. Andalucia needs a week.