Two days in Delphi

Search

Two days in Delphi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two days in Delphi

We will be wrapping up our Greece trip with two days in the Delphi area. Obviously one day to see Delphi, but then what? I think Meteora is too far. We will be at the end of the trip and want a more relaxed pace. Are there any monasteries or wineries in the area? We like scenery, good food, and history.

Thanks!
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 07:56 PM
kja

I'm sure you realize that Hosios Loukas is nearby and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. If your guidebook(s) don't mention it, I would strongly urge you to get a better guidebook!
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 01:06 AM

Will you have a car?

Argyriou winery might be an interesting half day visit. It is located on the village of Polydrosos/Souvla on the other side of Mt Parnassos, about 1+hours driving from Delphi.
I just checked their website and doewsn't work properly right now, maybe it's hacked or something www.argyriouwinery.eu but there are reviews on Tripadvisor and Booking.com too (there is a guesthouse attached too). An excursion there could be combined with a visit to Corycean Cave or Agoriani and the near by villages etc

In Delphi itsself, in addition to the archeological site/museum you may want to check the Museum of Delphic Festival/Former House of Eva and Angelos Sikelianos located NE of modern town and the Large Excavation exibition on the ground floor of the town hall on the main street. If you visit any time soon, the European Culture Center of Delphi NW of town features a very interesting exhibition about Delphi's history from the late 19th century till 1970.

Hosios Loukas Monastery is of course top priority on such sites and is linked to Delphi anyway as this is where the Saint was coming from. but if you are really into churches, monasteries etc, the current local prist is a young-ish guy who speaks decent English and is known to be welcoming to visitors. You may visit the local Delphi St Nikolas church and talk to him and he may be able to open up the old St Constadine church for you and/or one of the tons of small interesting churches inside the olive grove below Delphi.

One more Monastery you may visit a few kms outside Delphi is Profet Helias one which features some interesting woodwork and icons, many made on the early 20th century by the reknowned local artist Spyros Papaloukas. I hesitantly suggest this one, as the nuns running the place are not the most welcoming folk around and they do not get visitors often....
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 05:38 AM

Arachova is a village near Delphi, about 10 minute drive. There are many excellent restaurants and food stores selling local products. You might want to stay in Arachova rather than Delphi since it is a prettier place and is still close to Delphi.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

We will have a car and I love the cave idea!

I was just looking at Arachova.

But hold up everyone. Is Delphi going to be too cold? Would Olympia be better?

Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 09:44 AM

I checked some of your other threads and I see you plan for early April. Although Olympia is 4 hours drive away from Delphi and Arachova only 10 minutes away from Delphi, I think it's more likely to be colder in Arachova than hotter in Olympia lol

You never know with Weather but usually temperatures can be anything from 12-18 C on day time at this time of the year in Delphi, usually sunny but occasionaly rainy.

I think you need to decide according to your interests and how travel logisitics work within your itinerary, if you plan to place Delphi/Olympia at the tail end of the trip and want some relaxation, Delphi is a quicker and I believe more relaxed drive to Athens than Olympia is...
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I am a flatlander so mountain temperatures confuse me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't picking a 30 degree Delphi over an 80 degree Olympia!