Search

Driving from Alesund to Geiranger

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Alesund to Geiranger

Hi all,

We are going to visit Geirangerfjord in June. Our flight from Oslo will land at Alesund airport around 6:45 pm. From there, we plan to rent a car and drive to Geiranger. I understand we need to take ferries along the route. My question is what are the hours of ferries. In case our flight is delayed, will we be subject to the risk of no ferry for the day?

We plan to stay one or two nights inside Geiranger. But it seems to me that one day might be enough to cover a Geirangerfjord cruise and a Dalsnibba Mountain Plateau hike. Could someone suggest other activities near Geiranger or along the route from Alesund to Geiranger?

Thanks!
John
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

I guess i have found ferry schedule on http://www.fjord1.no.
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 07:37 PM

We never had an issue with the ferries. It seemed that they ran all hours into the night, especially on popular routes. It is a beautiful drive. We found for ourselves that just the scenery was so amazing that just exploring the area was all we really wanted to do.
You should watch the movie "the Wave" on netflix. It was just released last year when we were there, a little frightening but about Geiranger and what may happen again, but certainly now while you are there! . Gives you a sense of the area.
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks live42day! Sounds like an interesting movie. I have put on held the DVD at our local library and look forwards to watching it.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 10:49 PM

In June there will be 24hrs daylight so no problem doing this drive and you can still enjoy the scenery. Even so staying in Ålesund and doing the drive the next day would allow you more time to enjoy and you could include some of your attractions around Geiranger. Leaving you a full day for the Geirangerfjord cruise.
Personally I would consider the scenic railway (Rauma rail) from Oslo to Åndalnes, hire car there and your drive will then include the Troll road.
Do note that one-way car hire is very expensive in Norway.