Enough time

Old Jan 4th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enough time

I will be flying from saint lucia to Toronto on air transat. I need to change terminals and make an air canada flight. Is 1.5 hours enough time and any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Heather
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 05:57 PM

It may be enough time, but you can't be sure, that's why you're asking.

How are your flight legs ticketed? Separately?

On Air Canada's website, in the list of codeshare partners, I don't see Air Transat. That could mean trouble if you get to YYZ late.

If you have a separate Air Transat ticket, Air Canada owes you nothing if you miss the Air Canada flight.

Even if a broker or OTA (on-line travel agent) booked both your flights - unless the airlines have an agreement, the second airline is under no obligation to re-book you - it's just as if you had come on a bus that was late or if your car had broken down on the way to the airport....
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 04:33 AM

Airport websites often can help with this kind of question. https://torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#
suggests a fairly lengthy transfer process for you since Transat uses Terminal 3 and Air Canada uses Terminal 1 (although you did not indicate your destination in Canada.) It is my guess that Air Transat does not have a partnership with Air Canada for transfer of luggage. You may have to reclaim your bags, go through customs (you certainly will have gone through immigration previously), check the bags with Air Canada and maybe even get a boarding pass for the second flight. You need to phone or e-mail Transat about all of this. It's possible you can get your boarding pass from Air Canada by e-mail, which would help. Air Transat evolved from a charter service and does not have extensive partnerships in the manner Air Canada has through Star Alliance.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 04:45 AM

No one can give you a definitive answer. First off a 1.5 hour connecting time is not necessarily 1.5 hours. Your connecting flight will begin boarding about 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure and some airlines "close" the boarding process 10 to 15 minutes prior to departure. Regardless a 1.5 hour connection may or may not be doable - too many variables to consider such as:

1) Will your inbound flight arrive "on time"?
2) Assuming it lands on schedule will the gate be "open" or will you have to wait on the tarmac because a departing plane is still occupying your gate?
3) How long of a queue will there be at Immigration/Passport Control?
4) How long will you have to wait for any checked luggage to reach the Carrousel?
5) Will you be singled out for a thorough customs inspection?
6) Will you have your your boarding pass for your connecting flight or will you have to go into the main terminal to check-in for the connecting flight? If the latter, how long of a line will there be?
7) How long will it take you to re-clear the Security Checkpoint?
8) How far will you have to walk from the Security Checkpoint to reach your connecting gate?
9) Will you encounter any weather related delays that will affect any of the above?

It's your call but my rule of thumb is never book an international connection with less than 2 hours between flights. "Murphy' Law of Airports" (which every experienced travelers knows) clearly states that the shorter the connecting time the more things will go wrong. Conversely a longer connecting time means the stars will align perfectly and you'll be sitting at the connecting gate with hours to spare.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 05:31 AM

It is risky.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Wish me luck!