Finding room/apt in Rome?

Old Jan 10th, 2017, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finding room/apt in Rome?

Looking for a room (w private bath or several bathrooms in the apartment) or studio for April through July, in one of the nice older parts of Rome. Trying to stay under E800 but can go to E1000 if I must. As an ELS MA/professor, am also willing to do some trade for lessons. I've been to all the major Airbnb type websites, but so far no luck. (Yes, I know, I waited too late, but I couldn't do it earlier for personal reasons.) I'm in my 50s but my heart is still 27. My heart itself, however is in its 80s tho so no 5th floor walkups. Yearning to be near a café and old fashioned market.

Have been learning Italian and can now communicate decently in basic tenses, so language isn't a barrier

Where's Thursday -- she's pointed me in good directions before -- any ideas?

I actually don't mind moving different months, could be a lot of fun to discover different neighborhoods.

But I CAN'T GET MY VISA till I have PROOF of a place to live!

Does anyone know of a rental agent?

ANY help greatly appreciated, however I have lived in Europe before, have read copiously on the visa requirements, and have been to Rome a few times for short trips so I don't need basic info about Rome or traveling abroad or how to behave, or how frustrating Italy's bureaucracy can be lol

Many thanks,

TF
(on my second bucket list trip, which I wasn't sure I would be alive for, after major heart issues in 2013 -2015! )
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

PS: Yes I am reading and checking out every old post. I would LOVE to hear about the place in Piazza Bologna if you still have the info! Thanks again!
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 08:36 AM

There are several widely used online agencies. One is www.immobiliare.it . I see this studio apartment in the Centro Storico which might suit you. It's on the 2nd floor (3rd floor US) but has an elevator.

http://www.immobiliare.it/58630340-A...anzo-Roma.html

It's furnished, which I suppose you would need, and will be available in mid-March. It's over your budget, but your budget is very low for central Rome. You can search for cheaper places on the site. You can click on zones you're willing to live in. If you want "old neighborhoods", you should click the central zone and the five zones immediately surrounding it. I suppose it depends on what you mean by old neighborhoods, though.
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! On my way there right now!
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Well, I wrote the company and asked to rent it for April (one step at a time lol). Now we'll find out if it's for real or not. Thanks again for your help!
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

So here's what happened. I wrote a regular reply, and got an email saying that my reply had been posted to EVERYONE, and that people having something to rent would contact me. It had the wrong price range and so forth, so I deleted that one. So, next I wrote a reply to the company that supposedly had it for rent. This time I got a reply from the website, saying that it had been sent.

Same thing when I wrote people on the Homestay website and one on airbnb.

One person wrote back that they would be traveling some of that time and didn't want to commit to host during a time they would be away.

I wrote a couple about a tiny apartment in the perfect area, perfect price, minimum stay 90 days -- hoping to hear back, we shall see.

I will report back if I actually HEAR from someone.

Thanks again. Any OTHER ideas?
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 09:09 PM

Try romerenting.com

I stayed in a 1-br on the first floor on Vicolo Moroni in Trastevere last February. I paid around 1500 euros for the month. There are studios for less, some listed at 900.

Not clear from the website which apartments have steps, but the lady I corresponded with (Francesca) was happy to explain that and other details. Good luck!