Europe Trip - went not so well

Old Jan 9th, 2017, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe Trip - went not so well

A mistake? For sure. Accepting Air France's Air+Rail and Rail+Air was a mistake. For Europe tour, airfare takes much of our budget and hence I was looking for a best deal for months and landed into this offer. To and Fro Mumbai - Brussels just at 32000 rupees, which is even less than one way ticket booked otherwise from any airline. Had only two days to book, so we had hurried discussion at home and booked 4 tickets, for me, my husband, my son and my daughter-in-law. Wanted to cover at least 5 countries, so that my husband and DIL would get a glimpse of Europe. While planning itinerary, Sarnia, Thank you again, indicated me to be careful that if I miss any leg, my further trip will be treated as cancelled. So had to chalk out the plan differently, always keeping in view the best fares available.
So on 22nd December we flew from Mumbai by 2.10 am flight and reached Paris in time, about 7.30 am. Found out the Thalys check in center at train station in CDG, checked in for Train, and reached Brussels at 11.30 am. Our hotel was walk-in distance from Brussels MIDI. We had an hours rest and then got out enjoying the cold weather as expected (we had spent a good amount on buying warm clothes). Spent a day in Center visiting Grote Markt, Mannekin Pis, the church and the Christmas markets. Had Pizzas etc. and went back to hotel quite tired. Next day, we got up little late, bought a day ticket for trams and went to see Automium and mini Europe and from there again to the city center. With lot of Beer and Potato chips, our day in Brussels was over. We took our baggage and went to 7 pm Thalys train to Paris.
Reached Gare du Nord at around 8.45, bought two carnet of t+ tickets and headed to Bastille by Metro to our hostel. It took about 10 minutes to locate the same, but in the end all went fine. Next day, got up and went by metro to Eiffel Tower. At about 9.30 am there was no line at all and we got on the lift almost within 10 minutes of reaching. The weather was good. Took lot of photos and walked towards Arc de Triumph. We spent quite a time in Christmas markets, then went for Sein river tour from Pont Neuf. We also went to Notre Dame and attended a mass ceremony at 8 pm. When it was dark, we decided to go to hostel. EOD.
Second day in Paris was like visiting all must sees. In after noon we took Funicular train and went to Montmartre and to Moulin Rouge. The next Lido show was 1 hour later, so decided to skip it. While coming back, our DIL's wallet was stolen which noticed after boarding the Metro, so went back to the area, searched for the Police station and had to walk for 20 minutes to get to the same. The Police guy enquired and recorded a complaint, but said we should not hope that we will get it back. Luckily the wallet had only cash of 650 euros and two credit cards and one debit card. I mean our passports and other cash were safe with me. Immediately on getting to hostel, we tried to block the cards online, but there was problem finding the right communication method. So we gave whatsapp call to our friends back home, who called the customer care numbers and blocked the cards. So our evening was spoilt. It was my fourth visit to Paris, but now my impression about Paris is not all that good. I would always tell our story to whosoever of my friends is going to Paris. Somehow we recovered and next day as planned, went to see Louvre. It was time taking and tiring, but we liked the collections, and did not miss Mona lisa. The rest of the day was spent again in Christmas markets and later in the evening at about 8 pm, we collected our luggage and took Metro to Porte de Choisy. There we had to wait for 20 minutes to get bus no. 183 which goes to Orly airport (2 euros ticket). We reached Orly sud, and then took shuttle bus to Orly West. Our Easy jet flight to Venice was at 7 am, so we spent night at Orly airport, and checked in at 5 am for the flight.
Please wait, the next part of the report comes soon....
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 12:13 AM

It it helps salvaging your opinion of Paris...wallet could be stolen anywhere. Happened at home to me in November. Just out of curiousity, where did your your dil keep her wallet? Pocket or did they get into her purse or did they steal her whole purse?

What hostel did you stay at in Paris? And did you enjoy the Moulin Rouge? It sounds like you had a great trip and saw a lot- looking forward to the next installment
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 12:37 AM

Looking forward to more. Thank you.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Reached Venice Marco Polo airport and took bus to Piazzale Roma. There we bought two day tickets for Vaparatto, and then reached to Guglie where we had booked an apartment. It was a nice 2 bedroom apartment and owner was very friendly and helpful. So after having quick snacks, we went to St.Marks square. It was beautiful weather, though cold, we had great photos. Went to cathedral and just kept roaming in those lovely lanes, eating Pizzas and buying souvenirs. Next day we went to Murano and Burano. On the third day, we had covered almost all cathedrals in Venice, did some shopping and had plenty of time. In the evening, we packed for the next day.
Next day,30h Dec., we took a train from Santa Lucia train station to Rome. It was fast train and reached in 4 hours.
We reached Roma Termini station in the afternoon and our hotel was 5 minutes walk from it.
The first day we took metro and went to Vatican. There was a long queue for sistine chapel and it was to be closed at 12.30, also the museum. So we had entry in the Sistine chapel, but could not go to Vatican museum. After we went to St.Michael's palace, and then took a trail to see other points including Trevi Fountain. It was long tiring day as we reached our hotel. But we bought some wine and take-a-way food and had our family party on the night of 31st December.
The next day, 1st January, we went to Colosseum. The entry was free as it was the 1st Sunday of the month. So we spent good time at Colosseum and the ruins. While reaching our hotel, as reported in other threads, there was an attack on us by two guys who snatched my son's gold chain and wanted to pull the sack also. We fought bravely and got our chain back. But again it spoilt our mood. My DIL was very upset and wanted to get out of Rome as earliest as possible.
On the 2nd Jan morning, we had flight from Rome to Brussels. Actually we wanted to fly to Amsterdam directly, but the cheapest option was available with Ryan air upto Brussels, we had booked an IC Train ticket from Zaventem airport to Amsterdam. We reached in time at 9.25 am but the bored heavily waiting for our bag. Considering we would do some shopping in Italy, we had booked one check-in baggage on Ryan air, and stuffed all heavy items in one of the bags. Now I think I could have taken it as cabin bag only, so the delay would have been avoided. Luckily our train ticket was valid for the entire day and there were IC trains from Zaventem airport to Amsterdam Centraal every hour. So we took the 12.11 train and reached Amsterdam around 3 pm. We checked in our hotel, which was 10 minutes walk from the Train station. After dropping our luggage we went to all nearby shopping area, bought some stuff to take home, had a round in the RLD, ate something and came back. We packed for the next day, checked out next morning and kept the luggage in the storage, and then went to buy tickets for 1 hour canal cruise and Heineken Experience. First we went to Heineken and then did the canal cruise. We had no enough time to go to any museum, so only did a city walking tour. In the evening, we had train back to Brussels, at 8 pm. We reached Brussels Midi at about 10 pm and went directly to the ibis hotel on station.
We had to get up early on 4th, as our check-in for Thalys for our return journey was at 7 am. We reached Thalys counter 20 minutes ahead of time, checked in for the next flight to Mumbai also, and then got down at Amsterdam Schiphol. It was smooth afterwards. Our return flight to Mumbai was on time. Though we had booked our seat numbers on the flight, they changed the aircraft, so that was not valid. We were not happy not to have a window seat, but 4 people in the middle row together was also good. KLM was generous in providing ample amount of drinks and food.
We reached Mumbai in the midnight. We had already booked a cab to Pune. So driver picked us up and by early morning on 5th we were at home. All were sleeping for two days and now are back to work.
All went fine except those two incidences. We had to go back and forth Brussels, because we had chosen Amsterdam visit on that extra day we had on 3rd. I wished to go to Cologne or Brugge, but my son wanted to add Amsterdam on his list. So it was Amsterdam.
Now I think I am enough done with this part of the Europe. Next time, may be it would be Eastern Europe or probably, Niagara and Macchu Pichu (high on the list), who knows...
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

My DIL had kept her wallet in the backsack. May be somebody saw it when took out money to buy ice-cream in the neighbouring shop at Moulin Rouge. Our visit to entire Montemartre was very enjoyable. She remembers she had kept the wallet safely in the backsack underneath some other stuff, till we decided to go to Metro station. Even at the station when we bought tickets, it was intact. Only when we got down the stairs to platform or when we boarded the Metro, it was picked up. Because after we boarded, she got a seat so she sat down and then a person from behind said your sack is open. She was shocked to see it open and we knew it was stolen very swiftly by an experienced pickpocketer. Because we were four, always together, always watching over each other and there was no chance that such thing will go unnoticed. But it did. The person who told your bag is open, got down and went very quickly, so we also think probably he was him. Don't know.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Our hostel was near Ledru Rollin, next station from Bastille. Good hostel, good area, friendly staff.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Auberge International des Jeunes, Ledru Rollin.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 01:10 AM

I guess one can see the half empy glass or half full glass.

In your case I would see a glass 80% full.

Incident in Rome is imo quite nasty, but pickpocketing is a lesson - could very easily have been avoided - and the wait at Zaventem is a small hickup as we all have when we travel.

One rule of travel is that nothing goes exactly according to plan. You can complain about it or take it as it comes.

As for money lost... it is only money. 650 € is atually what it costs here in Belgium to buy a coffin and the funeral for a child. I know it because I know too many families which had to pay for this. Since I realized it I put things in perspective. I guess these families would rather have been pickpocketed 10 times.

No. The real mistake is to have visited Heineken. That is a total blunder but being Indian you can be forgiven for not knowing which beers are to be avoided ;-)

So I will not cry with you as I think you had quite a nice trip after all !

Namaste.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 03:25 AM

Hi angel1, thank you for the trip report, I enjoy it. Sorry to hear about your incidents and your lost wallet. It was really unlucky for you.

It seems to damage your opinions about Paris and Rome. That's a pity. May I say, not to diminish your lost, that if your 3 other times in Paris went well and only the fourth visit has a problem, that is already more than I could wish for. If I put 650 euros of cash in my backpack, it would be lost the first time I go out, not the 4th time. Not only in Paris but in any big city. I'm amazed that you could keep it for so long.

Imagine, if you have that much cash and a gold chain around your neck, and you walk around in your hometown. Do you think at the 4th, or 5th course, nothing will happen? If you intend to go to Eastern Europe next time, please be careful, it's not any better than Western Europe. People anywhere are human being. When they don't have a job, and when they are hungry, they will do anything to feed themselves.

I have been picpocketed in every country I visited. I know how you feel and I have sympathy for you. But that didn't spoil my trips. I hope you can see the positive thing that you FOUGHT the snatcher and gained your gold chain back! That's really something. Kudos to your family for the effort and the fight.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 04:58 AM

The Rome incident would scare me! I would not be brave enough to fight back. I feel for you. Kudos for keeping chain! The crowds in Italy were a bit worrying at times and I actually wore my money belt a lot there because of it.

But what furyfluffy said. If I kept my wallet in my backpack like that, it would be gone in the first hour of my first destination. If you go to niagara, don't do that. Have see the backpack rifling in every major usa city I've been to. It's just a vulnerable point.

Agree with what woinparis said too. 80% glass full except Heineken
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 08:07 AM

You were brave to take on such a full trip. I enjoyed reading your report, and hope that most of your memories are the happy ones. Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 08:33 AM

Thank you for your trip report. It is appreciated.

I am also sorry to hear of your mishaps; the Rome incident was nasty.. no question about that, and glad that you saved the loss of your son's chain (whether it was wise or not to fight back is immaterial now) and I can certainly understand your DILs reaction and desire to leave.
The pickpocketing incident in Paris was also upsetting - I was pickpocketed there also despite knowing the city so well, and at the time (4 years ago) I also felt angry and violated (by the way it is also possible that the person who alerted you to the sack being open was also the person who stole from you, not that it matters now). However in comparison to any kind of physical attack, your Paris incident was perhaps more of an annoyance in retrospect, and I'm glad that your passports were safe, that you had enough cash remaining for the rest of the trip and that you still enjoyed the remainder of your holiday.

All this said, I am actually in praise and wonder with all that you did during your holiday and in the space of time you allotted for it. To me as an experienced traveller, and without reducing the unfortunate events above, you really did well with all your sight-seeing and connections and getting around, so well done to all of you.

You say that accepting the Air+rail and Rail+Air plan was a mistake, and unless I missed it, I don't see why or how it was a mistake for you? You seemed to have managed it very well - another plus for you.

In any event, thank you for sharing your report.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 08:41 AM

Nice report. I am sorry you had to experience not one but two incidents involving theft. That would be very upsetting.

We carry very little cash in Europe. Just a few euros for those places where you can't use a credit card. We leave valuables in the hotel safe. In Mexico we did have our Traveller's cheques taken from the room safe many years ago, but nothing like that since.

Why was Air France's Air +Rail a bad idea? I
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 09:08 AM

Thanks for posting about your experiences. Sorry to hear about the two unfortunate incidents but glad things turned out ok except for the loss of cash. It would certainly put a damper on the trip if it were me. We have traveled to Europe many times and have been lucky to date but also note we tend to avoid big cities (never been to Paris or Rome) and tend to spend most of our time in the smaller villages, scenic areas etc.
Looks like a hectic (for me) but very well coordinated trip. Good luck in your future travels.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 12:08 PM

All in all it sounds like you had a good trip. You managed all those location changes with aplomb and yes you had a couple of nasty incidences but as others have said that can happen anywhere. Lesson learned....
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 11:15 AM

Courage for sure- live and learn - the good times seem to outnumber the bad.

thanks for reporting back!
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 11:22 AM

Getting ripped off is traumatic. It's like being in a car accident, no matter whose fault the accident is: it sticks with you no matter how much you try to rationalize it away as no big deal. Trauma like that looms large, and can remain a more powerful memory than all the little joys.

In a similar vein, if you go on a trip week, and have 6 great days, but the 7th day was crappy, your mental picture of that trip will be a LOT worse then if the crappy day was early on in the trip. Memory is like that - - images of places are tainted by events that you ruminate about, and try to cope with; and negatives experienced toward the end of a stay color the whole stay more negative then something experienced earlier on.

Let time heal, as it does, and enjoy most vividly your photos of the great things you saw (to over-ride the negatives), and next time put all valuables in a moneybelt underneath your clothing, keeping just a few Euro in outside purse, bag, or wallet.