Paris to Beaune TGV or direct Regional train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're novice train travellers.Apart from the saving time factor...travelling from Paris to Beaune should I opt for the direct TER regional train or is it worth taking the TGV and the fuss changing at Dijon?
Are there 1st class or any reserved seats on the direct regional train? Which would be the better (and easiest) travelling experience? Would we see more scenery on slower regional train?
Are both trains out of the same station in Paris?
We're travelling in May do I have to wait 90 before to book?
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 01:58 AM

I would not call changing trains a fuss.

TER have no reservations. They probably have a first class - I never take first class.

TGV is indeed faster and usually quieter and have a bar.

TER ticket prices don't change - you can buy them the day of departure or whenever it pleases you.

TGV are with reservation : you get the ticket for one specific train and yes the sonner you buy the better price you get. Not sure about 90 days though. Might be available before that.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 03:00 AM

<i>TER ticket prices don't change - you can buy them the day of departure or whenever it pleases you. </i>

If we are classifying trains into two categories, TGV and non TGV (TER), then stating that TER prices do not change is incorrect. PREM fares and other variable pricing schemes do indeed apply to a number of non TGV trains. Some trains have variable fares depending upon time of day traveled. Some trains have reserved seating available at a nominal additional fee.

The only way to know definitively is to ask, either by visiting an SNCF service window or by searching fares on line.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 03:41 AM

But that is a TER service on that route, and the prices don't change by time. I didn't think TER prices did ever change by time, there are some other types of trains that do, other than TGV, but there are not just two categories of trains in France. IC trains have PREMs, for example. In any case, on that route, the prices do not change and they are TER trains.

No, you cannot reserve a seat place on them. However, they do have first class car(s). They aren't very different from second class on TERs that I've ever noticed (the cars). But you still won't get a reserved seat number.

The two trains do not leave from the same station, the TGVs leave from Gare du Lyon and the TERs from Bercy. Those stations are right next to each other, however.

The main difference to me would be the TGV+TER (you transfer to a TER in Dijon) takes one hour less time and you can get the PREM ticket at a discount if you buy early which would save you maybe 10 euro or so over the price of the TER. But you do have the transfer, so I'd mainly decide on the time as to whether I cared or not. But then you do have to take the exact train time, the TER tickets are more flexible.

As far as scenery, I don't remember it being anything extraordinary on that route, but I myself would never make a decision based on the speed of the train in terms of scenery. Some people claim you can't see anything on TGVs because they are too fast, but I don't agree with that. You aren't moving at the speed of light or anything, if the scenery is pleasant, you can still enjoy it.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 11:53 AM

April 8 is currently the latest date for which you can book - see www.SNCF.fr
The 9th and onwards are greyed out in the calendar.

So mark your calendar for the date in Feb. that corresponds to your date in May and go from there.

As you can tell from the detailed responses so far, it's not much difference between those train options, and there is nothing "second-class" about second class, so the savings might result in a good bottle of Burgundy wine in Beaune if you opt to forego first class...

Santé!
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 12:50 PM

For the route from Paris to Beaune, there are only TGV trains and TER trains unlike some routes that are also served by Intercites trains that have reserved seats and variable pricing for seats. I used to travel the Paris to Beaune route pretty frequently and could usually purchase non-exchangeable or exchangeable with conditions tickets (the lower fare categories) the day before or day of travel for the mid-afternoon trains; they were usually about 20€ more than if I had purchased them well in advance but still less than half the price of the flexible ticket. Tickets generally go on sale 90 days before the travel date but at times, SNCF runs specials to different destinations and tickets may go on sale earlier. The best thing to do to know if that is happening for your destination is to sign up to receive notifications from sncf.com/en.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 01:25 PM

for lots on French trains check www.voyages-sncf.com- official site of French Railways - book your own TGV or Intercities train tickets -earlier the better for sweet discounts, esp on TGVs; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com.

First class may be worth it -my son and his French mama just took trains from Orleans to Clermont-Ferrand - they said Intercities and regional trains involved were SRO in 2nd class- which they were in.

First class IME always has empty seats -often a lot. and on regional trains it is not really that much more to do first class.

TER all the way takes about an hour and change longer and except on a few trains you are required to make one or often two changes of trains en route.

That said unless you take the few direct regional trains you will find TGV changing to TER at Dijon-Ville to be quicker, more comfy - no chance of SRO and if you book far enough ahead not much more in cost.

If you have time put bags in Dijon station baggage storage (if they have one!) and spend a few hours bopping around one of France's most inviting larger cities.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 04:54 AM

We took trains to Beaune a few years ago. A TGV to Dijon and then a local train to Beaune. The transfer in Dijon was simple and straightforward. The TGV is a very nice ride and with few stops. As others have said, be sure to book the TGV in advance to get lower prices.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 07:26 AM

"If you have time put bags in Dijon station baggage storage (if they have one!)" Yes they have!