Where to go in Australia

Old Jan 8th, 2017, 12:48 PM
BKD
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go in Australia

We're going to have 10 days in Australia (March 17-27). Our daughter is going to be working the wine harvest outside of Adelaide so we want to make sure we are in the Adelaide area both weekends when she's off work to be with her leaving about 6 days to fill in. We are from the states and have never been to Australia. Thinking 3 days in Sydney and 3 in Melbourne, but just wondering if there are other suggestions. Thanks.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 05:48 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
You could easily fill your 10 days in South Australia, in fact you don't really have enough time to justify hopping around the country.

There's loads to see in South Australia - the Flinders Rangers, Cooper Pedy (okay, so it's an eight hour drive from Adelaide, but personally it's at the top of my list for most unique place in Australia, and I've seen quite a bit of OZ), the wine regions of the Barossa, The Clare Valley, McLaren Vale, the Limestone Coast, Kangaroo Island, the Fleurieu Peninsula, the Adealide Hills...so much to see and do.

This site might get you started:

http://southaustralia.com/en
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 06:33 PM
BKD
Original Poster

Melnq8, thanks. Had not thought about spending the entire time in SA. Maybe something to that. Hate to go all that way and not see Sydney or Melbourne, but find it intriguing to go to places we've never heard of.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 07:49 PM

While I agree with Mel about how much SA has to offer, I think it would be a shame to come all this way and not see Sydney.

Sydney is a visually spectacular city, It's about 2 hours flying time from Adelaide. Have a look at the visit Sydney website. Melbourne is also a great city, but I think needs more time to appreciate. Depending on what your interests are, either would offer a "different city" in Australia experience.

What wine region will your daughter be in ?
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 09:03 PM

You most likely fly into Sydney - more flights go there for the US West Coast (incl. Vancouver - sorry Canada) than to Brisbane or Melbourne.

So for sure spend a few days on arrival.

Ditto if you indeed fly into Melbourne - worth a quick two days at least.

But while your daughter is at work, explore S.A.

Coober Pedy (note spelling) is indeed unique - check this out: https://www.cooberpedy.sa.gov.au/tourism and also this: www.cooberpedy.net

You might want to get a car and drive to Melbourne and fly back. The last part will be the Great Ocean Road - www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/

Realize that distances in Australia are huge.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 09:28 PM

You may wish to lock in accommodation in Adelaide if you have not already done so. Your dates are right in the middle of what is known locally as Mad March- we have a Festival of Arts, Fringe Festival, Womad World Music Festival, Clipsal Touring Car Race, Writers Week- & there must be many more happenings which I have forgotten. If your daughter is working in a wine area near Adelaide (McLaren Vale, Barossa Valley, Eden Hills) then accommodation may be easier in those areas. And enjoy your visit- March is a wonderful time in SA. The summer heat has usually gone & the long Indian summer days are perfect for travellers.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 03:41 AM
BKD
Original Poster

Great info, everyone!

We fly into Sydney early Friday morning. Since our daughter won't be off work until Saturday, perhaps we spend the day and night in Sydney and get into Adelaide on Saturday morning. We'll be coming from Seoul so jet lag shouldn't be an issue. We have not yet booked our return flight to the states so we can leave out of Sydney or Melbourne and spend one night in either.

I think I'm coming around to concentrating on staying in and around SA. As much as I'd like to see Melbourne and have more time in Sydney, it doesn't seem practical and I'm very OK with going places off the U.S. tourist radar. Considering Kangaroo Island, wine country/Adelaide Hills and of course Adelaide. Will check out Coober Pedy. Thoughts?

Sartoric, daughter will be in Langhorne Ceek region.

Again thanks to all and other suggestions are very much appreciated!
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 05:52 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I have two trip reports postet here from our visits to SA - the might help:

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...-australia.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...tone-coast.cfm
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 03:52 AM
BKD
Original Poster

I really can't thank everyone enough for their input. What I'm looking at now is to fly into Sydney spend the day and night. Head to Adelaide and spend two nights in Adelaide Hills with our daughter. Fly to Kanaroo Island (Southern Ocean is booked up unfortunately) spend 2 nights then four nights in Adelaide using Adelaide as a base to tour close by areas. Final evening we'll hop on over to Melbourne and leave for home the next morning.

Coober Pedy sounds quirky and fun, but probably won't have time to go that far.

Any recommendations for upscale accommodations on Kangaroo Island other than Southern Ocean lodge??
Also, being American I'm a bit skittish to drive but am willing to give it a whirl. How necessary is driving around? Are users readily available or other car services? Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 07:44 AM

>

Fairly.

You can take tours on KI, but in and around Adelaide, you're best off driving. It's a navigable city and the Aussies largely don't drive like Europeans. If you're going to "tour close by areas," a car will help a LOT.

If you're asking about Uber, don't bother. You're better off with a car rental because Adelaide and its attractions are fairly spread out.
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 09:10 AM

I don't think there's anything else comparable to Southern Ocean on Kangaroo Island. We stayed at Hanson Bay which is in the same area. You may want to look at one of their newer modern cabins. It's very easy to drive around KI but watch for wildlife. I've never seen so much roadkill in my life.