Search

Italy, again and again...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy, again and again...

Hello all,

We wanted to give you an update of our eight days in Le Marche this past summer (after a conference in Rome). We fell in love with the people, the towns and the natural beauty of this area. We spent time in Urbino and in Ascoli Piceno, and were both they beautiful and interesting and were also good bases so that we could take day trips and spend time at the lakes and the sea. This was followed by our European family road trip with our children a few weeks later (described in another post).

We are now starting to plan next summer's vacation and are looking to travel through the Abruzzo region (looks wonderful, especially after watching the Magnifica Italia episode on this area).

We have about two weeks and I am wondering if you can suggest places to base ourselves. We would rather not have to move hotels too many times so maybe three different places would be best.

Thank you.

Andrea
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 10:49 AM

We liked the town of Sulmona very much. It's a big enough town to have a choice of restaurants, and it's a good base for day trips to nearby small towns, such as Scanno.

I've never spent a night in the area, but I strongly suggest a visit to Castel del Monte, the 12ch century fortified dwelling (hunting lodge) of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II. It's a starkly beautiful and harmonious building, almost modern in its simplicity. I've been there twice, and if I'm ever in the vicinity again, I'd want to stop there.

Are you looking for a coastal area for your next base, or would you prefer going higher into the mountains?

I'd love to hear more about your time in Le Marche. What day trips did you take? I'm curious about the remark about the lakes, because I can't think of any lakes in Le Marche, just wide spots in the various rivers.
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 10:52 AM

You can never get too much of Italy. I went twice this year.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi bvlenci,

Thanks for the information. I will start planning our itinerary with that information.

We would like to spend time on the coast (in a medieval village with a beautiful, sandy beach) and to spend time in the mountains and a third base as well, to make day trips shorter and easier.

The lake we spent a day at in Le Marche was Lago di Fiastra, a turquoise lake about an hour northwest of Ascoli Piceno. Absolutely stunning. We also took day trips to the coast, to Sirolo (gorgeous beach), and to a few small, wonderful hill towns not far from both Urbino and Ascoli.

jmb67, it is like that old saying: "just when I thought I was out, it pulls me back in".
Old Nov 18th, 2016, 03:11 PM

I don't end up going to all the places I ask about.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

frencharmoire,

Lake Fiastra was a magical place. And we thought we were the only ones who would ever dream of going there. This is why discussing many destinations that one considers travelling to is so important and useful.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Now, back to Abruzzo, the reason I started this post.

frencharmoire, have you been to this region?