Yosemite in late September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and our daughters 13 & 17 are staying in the Yosemite Valley in the Housekeeping cabins in late September. We will be there for 3 nights/ 2 full days. I would love suggestions on hikes that are near the valley. We don't want to spend too much time driving or on shuttles but if there is a must see I would love to know about it. I know Yosemite is huge so would like to focus on what is near us if possible. We love to hike and to bike.

Any food suggestions in the valley?

Thanks, Kerry
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 12:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually -- Yosemite Valley is not huge -- the park is but w/ just 2+ days you don't have time for the back country.

There are lots of hikes -- but yes, you will have to take the shuttles to some (most) of them.

This lists most of those accessible from the Valley floor

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/valleyhikes.htm

Food: depends on what you are looking for. Posh -- the dining room at the Ahwahnee. Less posh but nice -- the restaurant at Yosemite Lodge, Cafeterias in Curry Village and at Yosemite Lodge. Pizza in Curry Village and Yosemite Village. A deli and cafe in Yosemite Village

(I'm using the 'traditional' names -- not the 'authorized' ones)
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 06:51 PM

If you've never been there before and given the time of year, I highly recommend that one of the days you take the early morning shuttle to Glacier point and then hike down the Panorama Trail. It is an 8.5-mile trail from Glacier Point to Yosemite Valley that takes you past Illilouette, Nevada, and Vernal Falls which in September are a few of the falls that will have the most water. You get the great view into the valley from Glacier point and then several wonderful vantage points to Half Dome and across the valley as you descend. Finally, since Vernal Falls is one of the most popular and crowded hikes in the Valley I prefer to approach it from the other direction going down vs up!

I also love the hike to the top of Yosemite falls but only earlier in the season when still running strong.

Since you love to ride bikes, you could easily bring/rent bikes near Housekeeping camp and ride all over the Valley floor which is really fun IMO and you can combine a bike ride with a shorter hike.

Pizza patio at Curry Village/Half Dome camp is good. Cafeteria not so much. Good grocery selection at the Village center since you can cook of course at your Housekeeping cabin. Please remember to measure your cooler to make sure it will fit in the required bear locker! There is no messing around with the food storage rules in Yosemite (for good reason)so just make sure you know the rules and are prepared!
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 07:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Excellent point re the bear lockers . . . do not leave ANY food of any sort (or anything that smells - like sun screen, gum, whatever) in you car. Everything must go in the lockers
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I can't wait.
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The aspens are turning. It will be beautiful!