Search

Positano - Sorrento Travel Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positano - Sorrento Travel Questions

Hello all.
As I research our October trip to Italy, I was hoping to get some info on a few questions. My wife and I land in Naples then proceed directly to Positano (stay few days) then to Sorrento (stay few days) then back to Naples (stay few days, fly out).

1 - Any need to pre-book ferry online now for a Tues mid-Oct trip to Sorrento from Positano? I see only 2 ferries listed and we'd want a specific time. I thought a ferry ride would be more interesting than the bus trip, true?

2 - For day trips to Amalfi (from Positano) and Capri (from Sorrento), any need to pre-book online now ferries in mid/late October, or should it be easy enough to buy the day before/day of?

3 - Same for trains to Naples and day trip to Pompeii, any need to book now?

Traditionally I prefer to plan ahead and book before we arrive in country but usually we travel in Sept, which I imagine is quite a bit busier. Thank you for your time.
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 10:15 PM

There is only one ferry service from Positano to Sorrento per day and it is around 2-3pm. Your only other options are bus or taxi.

You can't pre-book online for ferries from Positano. Just turn up to the ferry kiosk at the dock and buy them on the day.

The train from Sorrento to Pompeii and Naples is a commuter service and cannot be pre-booked.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply Blueeyedcod. When I look at Positano(dot)com, there is a ferry schedule that indicates two ferries on that Tuesday (run by Alilauro) for which I can buy tickets now. Can you clarify? Are there different ferry companies, perhaps slow and fast boat versions?

Sounds like the commuter trains will be easy to get tickets for on the day of travel.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 06:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Positano has less ferry service than Sorrento/Naples. If the sea is rough, they won't put in to Positano either.

>>>Same for trains to Naples and day trip to Pompeii<<<

Depending on the number of hotel nights, you might want to visit Pompeii while staying in Sorrento. The commuter train, Circumvesuviana runs between Naples/Sorrento. The Pompeii Scavi stop is about half way.

How many hotel nights do you have in each location?
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 06:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you are talking about ferry transfer on arrival at Naples airport to reach Positano, that would probably be more problem than taking the Curreri shuttle bus from the airport to Sorrento (10€) and then catching the local Sita bus on to Positano.

http://www.curreriviaggi.it/autoline...EE_CURRERI.pdf
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 08:09 AM
ekc

There are 2 ferries per day between Positano and Sorrento - going to Sorrento from Pos the departures are 11:30 and 4:30. No need to book in advance.

FWIW, I would just divide your stay between Positano and Naples. You can easily visit Capri from Positano and Pompeii from Naples. No need wasting time changing hotels in such a short vacation.
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

We already have apartments booked in Positano, Sorrento and Naples (4 nights at each town/city). Thank you EKC, that's the ferry service I found online. Are ferries often cancelled due to rough water in October? I see there are bus options from POS to SOR as well, and I assume I can buy those tickets day of travel.

We are going to splurge and take private transfer from Naples to Positano. I have quotes from Rainbow Limos, Positano Drivers and Private Tour in Italy. They all seem to have good reviews. Anyone with experience with any of them?

We will probably visit Pompeii while in Sorrento, as well as a day trip to Capri. I guess I am wondering if any of these arrangements (ferries, buses, sites, etc) need pre-booking considerations in October. As mentioned I've only been to Europe/Italy in Sept and I assume that is a busier time. Any advice and suggestions is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!