1st visit to California - from London

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2016, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - we are planning a 2 to 21/2 week trip to California from 1st August. 2 adults, 18 year old son and 12 year old daughter.

we don't want to do a traditional road trip with a stop every couple of nights but thinking of a week in mountains/national parks - we want to see big country and amazing vistas, then a week on the beach, probably san diego. Not interested particularly in LA or Las Vegas, but thinking to fly into Las Vegas and out from San Diego. its quite hard to gauge the distances I tried a travel agent and despite giving a budget they suggested all luxury hotels which made the trip impossible. I would probably do holiday rental in san diego as we need chilling time near beach.

its the route around the national parks I cant get right - as grand canyon os so far is there a similar alternative? or should we fly to san Francisco?

thanks for your help!!
Old May 21st, 2016, 10:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Fly to Salt Lake City to see the 5 National Parks in Utah and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.
See Hoover Dam on the way to Las Vegas. Turn in the car in Las Vegas and fly to San Diego if that is your choice of coastal California. You may not need a rental car if all you want is a San Diego beach. There is good rail service between San Diego and Los Angeles if you would rather fly out of LAX.
You could also fly from Las Vegas to San Francisco and then drive the coastal route through Los Angeles all the way to San Diego.
Old May 21st, 2016, 11:24 AM

The Grand Canyon South Rim is about a 4-5 hour drive each way from Las Vegas so not a daytrip. You would need to book lodging in the park well in advance. Please do not get sucked into the helicopter tours out of Las Vegas, they do not go to the National Park but to tourist trap Grand Canyon West.
The other major NPs would be Yosemite and SEKI (Sequoia and Kings Canyon). Death Valley and Joshua Tree would be way too hot in August. Yosemite is about a 4 hour drive oneway from San Francisco. Lodging in the park books up to a year in advance, you might have to call daily to snag a cancellation.
With 2.5 weeks you certainly have enough time to do SF, SD, Vegas and even drive Highway 1 if you are willing to rent a car.
Old May 21st, 2016, 11:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Las Vegas and Death Valley (plus some of the parks in Arizona/Utah will be in the 40-48°C range so not a good time to visit.

If it was my trip (and knowing what all my Brit friends have enjoyed) I would plan several days in a rental in the San Diego area, 2 or 3 days in the Monterey/Big Sur area, 3 nights staying in El Portal at Yosemite View Lodge (that is assuming all accommodations in Yosemite Valley are already booked up) http://www.stayyosemiteviewlodge.com

And finish up in SF. (or do the route in reverse)

Fly in/out of SFO and San Diego.
Old May 21st, 2016, 01:28 PM

Once you settle on an area, check out vacation rentals by owner. They would be less pricey and more comfortable for a family than hotels. I think the tip of flying into Salt Lake City is interesting. Within the USA book Southwest Air. They go everywhere and don't charge for your luggage. Arranging your car rentals from London will probably be cheaper than booking once you are here. If you do go to the Grand Canyon, see the IMAX movie of the canyon. It will give you a great idea of what is "down there". I'd forget Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks. Booked way in advance. You will need a car in San Diego or Los Angeles. The drive from Los Angeles, up #I-5 to San Francisco takes about 6 hours at 75 miles and hour. And it's a boring route. Distances are great here, but the freeways do help get you from one place to another.
Old May 21st, 2016, 03:13 PM

Have you considered Lake Tahoe? Gorgeous scenery, lots to do (especially water sports and hiking trails at this time), beaches (granted it's a lake, not an ocean, but it's a very big lake!), quiet wooded areas. Plenty of lodging—everything from top end hotels to simple cabins in the woods. I know you said August, but if you happen to go in October, do NOT miss the salmon run at Taylor Creek. Spectacular.

Two hours west is our capital city, Sacramento. Gold rush towns are in the vicinity, and in the city itself is the beautiful capital building (sign up for tour) and a really cool railroad museum...
Old May 21st, 2016, 08:43 PM

75 miles an hour are 15 over the speed limit: please note.'

California has a great deal to offer; no point going to Las Vegas (which is in Nevada, BTW).
Old May 21st, 2016, 10:21 PM

I like the suggestion of Tahoe. It does have a lot to offer.

But I thought Yosemite was absolutely amazing, and that's what I'd choose. Or maybe 4 nights there, 3 nights Tahoe, and then do your beach time somewhere near LA, lots of options there. I know you said you aren't interested in LA but it's both more convenient and more diverse than Vegas. Fly into Sacramento or SF, out of LAX.
Old May 21st, 2016, 10:31 PM

>>Fly into Sacramento or SF, out of LAX.
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

hi guys - thanks for your replies - we are probably going to do a grand American adventure mini tour of zion NP, Bryce Canyon, monument & GC - camping so should get a great experience and see things close up

this starts and finishes in Las Vegas so we'll have to fly in and spend a night at beginning and end. Then we will head down to san diego and get a holiday rental.

a couple more questions if you don't mind
1. if we drive, where is a good place to overnight stop on the trip from las vegas to san diego

2. the rail from las vegas to san diego was mentioned - any idea of cost and journey duration - what is the name

3. any suggestions for a good areas of san diego to stay in - would like to be near beach and close enough to restaurants/balboa park etc without a big drive.

thank you very much for your advice

Lisa
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 11:25 AM

>>1. if we drive, where is a good place to overnight stop on the trip from las vegas to san diego>2. the rail from las vegas to san diego was mentioned - any idea of cost and journey duration - what is the name
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 12:52 PM

Don't take the train. Hire cars as and when necessary. Amtrak sucks. Even where it's good (Northeast corridor - completely across the country from where you'll be) it sucks compared to most European train services and is horrific compared to the Japanese. Tomfuller either gets a cut from Congress or is such a train enthusiast that he forgives Amtrak for all its (many, many) faults.

San Diego has three primary sizable beaches in the city proper - Pacific, Mission and Ocean (yeah, naming on two of them lacks originality). And a day trip to La Jolla would be good too. But ultimately, SD beaches are like Scottish Islands, there are a LOT.

http://www.sandiego.org/what-to-do/beaches.aspx
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 04:06 PM

San Diego Beaches are all public so there are no privately owned beaches. The entire coastline of California is on the Pacific Ocean so you have tons of beaches in San Diego to chose from.

The type of beach community will be important to you and or your family.

Imperial Beach I would not consider.

Coronado is nice. It is an island for all practical purposes. It is very quiet and residential. Has a beautiful beach, is small and flat so you can bicycle anywhere. And has easy access across the bridge to the main freeway in San Diego (Interstate 5) and quick access to all the tourist attractions in San Diego. The beach is beautiful (as in very clean) and expansive.

Ocean Beach has a very hippy, biker, surfer, college crowd vibe. Parts of OB can be crowded with small beach cottages, a little run down in areas, and some areas are noisy and have excessive parties and drinking going on.

Mission Beach is kinda the same but has gentrified somewhat over the years.

Pacific Beach is an upscale version of OB. It is still very crowded with lots of traffic, partying, and tourists.

La Jolla, is really upscale with multi-million dollar properties. It encompasses a large area. Some hotels advertise they are in La Jolla (which their address indicates) but they are many miles from the beach and you have to battle traffic to get in and out. I would recommend the La Jolla Village and or La Jolla Shores area for La Jolla. La Jolla Village has some really beautiful beaches such as the La Jolla Cove and Windansea (but make sure you go when lifeguards are on duty).

La Jolla Shores is great for all kinds of water activities such as diving, surfing, snorkeling, kayaking, etc. La Jolla Shores is also home to the world famous Scripps Institute of Oceanography (a graduate school which is part of the University of California).

If you want to go further north there are a number of smaller communities with lovely beaches in cities such as Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad. These are about 40-60 minutes north of the downtown San Diego location.
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 04:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"75 miles an hour are 15 over the speed limit: please note.'

From over The Grapevine (mountains just north of L.A. to the split where you take the 580 to San Francisco), the speed limit is 70.

I always attempt to average 75 on those trips, but sometimes truck traffic (and slow pokes in the left lane) makes that impossible. Be advised, Highway 5 from L.A toward San Francisco might be the earth's most boring and ugly drive.

Old Jun 6th, 2016, 04:29 PM

75 miles per hours is over the posted & legal speed limit on most of California's highways (65 is standard on the freeway).

But quite frankly NO ONE drives that slow (65 mph). If you do cars will be whipping past you like crazy. And in that case make sure you are in the slow lane too!

But, it is often a moot point because if you are stuck in traffic you are lucky if you are going 30 miles per hour!!
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks all about the advice re the trains..heard it loud and clear - we will get a car and drive there.

thanks Nanabee for the great advice about the beaches - I will look for a holiday rental and see what there is - knowing a bit about the beaches now. Thanks all - very helpful!!