Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London: Oyster, 2For1, Travel Card--Help!

Search

London: Oyster, 2For1, Travel Card--Help!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2016, 03:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh -- great.

But -- (just to confuse things more ) If you have train tix in to London and out of London - those are 'National Rail' train tickets so they should satisfy the 2for1 requirements for all days in between the various train trips. So you very likely won't need paper travelcards for transport in London and can just use Oysters. It does depend on the dates though. (but carry the train tix w/ you to show)
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Janisj, our tickets Bath to London are one way. The other 2 trips will be returns on the same day from London to small towns not far away. I planned to buy those tickets the day we made each trip. I think I still need to buy the paper travelcards to take advantage of the 2for1 offers.

When we land at London LHR we are traveling to Bath to begin our trip (and recover from jet lag). We'll travel to London after Bath.
Old May 13th, 2016, 02:38 PM

How much is a 7 day Travel Card if that is the only option for 2for1? We do have a train ticket, but it is for the day we leave London.
thanks for info. on Rail Cards for 2 for 1
Donna
Old May 14th, 2016, 06:07 AM

A 7 day travelcard is £32.40
Old May 14th, 2016, 07:28 AM

And a one day travelcard is £12.10

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/adult-fares.pdf
Old May 14th, 2016, 11:26 AM

And with a one day travel card, you can only use the 2for1 on that date>
Old May 18th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

We just got back last night so I thought I would update on our experience with this. DH and I were able to use the 2 for 1 all through our week in London. We had one-way (single) tickets from Bath to London and picked up the 2 for 1 brochure when we arrived at Paddington. We had printed our tickets online before leaving home and just carried that single sheet in my purse. We used a coupon in the brochure for each attraction and showed our train ticket with the coupon.

We bought Oysters a few days after arrival when we planned to use the Underground and did not get the travel card. Oyster worked fine on the tube and buses, we traveled as far as Kew Gardens on the Underground and took a few more bus trips this time in London to be able to see the city.
Old May 18th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

And thanks to everyone who gave advice about the 2 for 1!
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:23 PM

So you don't have to only use the 2for1 deals on the DATE on your train ticket? We arrive June 15 by plane and leave on June 20th by train for York. So, we can's show our train tickets and get the 2for1 deals before the 20th??? Sorry, this is so confusing to me. Thanks for help.
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:58 PM

The 2FOR1 site clearly explains:
"If you are making a one way journey or your ticket is valid for one day, you can use your National Rail tickets and offer vouchers only on the day of travel."

And each voucher you print states:
"You must produce two valid National Rail tickets (ie. Tickets that would be accepted for train travel on day of attraction visit. If using Singles, you must produce both outward and return tickets to show that your travel spans the time of intended visit) as evidence of travelling by train to London or to the attraction destination -"
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

We used our single ticket (one way) showing our arrival in London on May 7. We visited sites between May 11 and 15 and all accepted the coupon/voucher and gave us two for one admission.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 08:50 AM

Sooo confused. We did plan to use the National Express bus to London when we arrive with luggage and jetlag midday Saturday. Then we plan to return to LHR via Piccadilly line on Tuesday evening, but use the http://portr.com/faqs/ service to send our luggage ahead when we check out of our airbnb.

Now we are thinking of taking the Piccadilly line with luggage into London WITH LUGGAGE on a single ticket, and then taking a cab from the station. We will each have a backpack and a carryon and 1 checked bag with wheels between us. Is that workable on the underground if we don't have to transfer trains and arrive close enough for a cab? And will that count as our first ticket into London since it is NOT HEX or Heathrow Connect?

I think we can buy a National Rail one day ticket and use it all day Tuesday and it will allow us to return to LHR at the end, right? Will this plan allow us to use the 2-4-1s any day?
If not, if we buy the single day passes that allow 2-4-1s that day, do we pay the all day pass cost if we use it for less fare than the cost? We plan to do a Hop On Hop Off 1 day and may only use the tube to go to and from the theatre that night. Obviously, a panicky first time visitor, here.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 09:39 AM

momlettinggo: If you are asking about tickets to qualify for the 2for1's, the Tube/Underground isn't a 'train' in that sense so no that won't work. And unfortunately neither the HEX nor Heathrow Connect are valid for the 2for1's.

There is no ticket you can buy at Heathrow that would qualify.

To use the 2for1's, you will need to buy some sort of tickets from a train station in London (either an actual train ticket or a travelcard for London Transport)
Old May 23rd, 2016, 09:40 AM

BTW, I would not take the National Express coach into London. Either take the tube or a pre-booked car service like justairports.com
Old May 23rd, 2016, 09:41 AM

>>We plan to do a Hop On Hop Off 1 day<<

I wouldn't myself. They are very expensive and spend a LOT of time just stuck in traffic.
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:46 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Still overwhelmed, but excited about our first visit. And not sure I'll worry about 2 4 1s. Sounds like it won't work on London Eye Fast Pass and we may be so fascinated in Free Museums and live theatre that worrying about this aspect isn't worth it. Just pay for the TOL the eye and use Oyster Cards.

Thanks again.
Old May 25th, 2016, 05:54 AM

I agree -- sometimes the 2for1's/needing a paper travel card is too confusing. But they do save a lot -- especially at the Tower of London.

But >>Sounds like it won't work on London Eye Fast Pass <<

There is usually no need for fast track -- and definitely don't pre-purchase Eye tickets. It is very weather-dependent.