Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Helsinki overnight layover: is it worth it?

Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about buying a ticket (cheaper than others) from BRU to JFK with a 15h 25m stopover. It gets in at 10:45p on Thursday in July and leaves at 2:10p the next day (Friday). Given the cost of spending a night somewhere, it would cost about the same to do a direct flight home. I'm really only interested in the stopover if there is realistically something(s) I can see/visit in Helsinki.

Anyone have any idea if it would make sense to explore for a few hours on Friday morning? Any advice on where to stay/how to get in and out of town (taxi is probably too expensive for me)/how long to stay before heading back to the airport? I don't know how much time I need to give myself to get back to the airport. I'd be ready to be out and about between 7 and 8am if I did do the stopover. I've never been to Helsinki - I know I wouldn't have long, but I also don't have plans to be back in Finland in the anywhere-near-future.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 06:35 PM
kja

I'm not sure it helps, as my experience is very dated (I was there in 1984), but I think you should be able to get into the city to see at least a site or two in the time you have. How to do so will depend, I think, on your cost / convenience ratio. So my recommendation is that you check into your options and, once you identify the options that seem most interesting, check back with us to get input about pros and cons. JMO!

Helsinki can be glorious -- enjoy!
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 04:56 AM

Helsinki is a nice city to visit. if you have an opportunity, do not miss it! A compact size and handy public transport put the top attractions within an easy reach.
Top city attractions are the Central Railway Station, Kauppatori Market Square, Helsinki Cathedral (Tuomiokirkko). Temppeliaukio Rock Church is a very interesting place to visit if you have a chance to!