Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with a Quick & Easy Trip from the East Coast USA!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have 5-6 days kid-free in August and need some ideas of where to go that is a pretty easy, quick(ish) trip from the US, and not too sweltering hot. We are in our upper 30s/lower40s, like higher-end travel, great food, and something somewhat relaxing, although I wouldn't count out sightseeing in a city. Was thinking Iceland, but flights are really expensive and several legs from our town at least. Would still consider it. Would also consider Canada and even somewhere stateside...I just can't decide!! Thought I would reach out to the experts on here if anyone had any great advice!! Thank you!
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 03:29 PM

Where will you be flying out of? Are you in Wilmington DE? We have flown twice now to Dublin on our way to Bordeaux)from Boston via Aer Lingus and really liked the flight-short and not expensive and Dublin is great-easy walking,not too hot. Plus it has the advantage of having many of the fun things we like to do in London (eat Indian food for example) but being able to do i with Euros versus the pound.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 03:44 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Could you extend it to a week?

Jump on the Queen Mary II and spend six days on the water. At Southhampton, get a car or bus to Heathrow, badda bing you're home. Or do it in reverse.

No port calls so no huckstering of overpriced excursions. Most sailings have various cultural offerings - RADA students doing riffs on Shakespeare, Oxbridge dons nattering on about the Tudors or the Plantagenets, some TV chef you've never heard of boning quail or doing something inventive with Bovril. (Not really.)

Afternoon tea in the dining room, bleedin' Watney's Red Barrel from one of the numerous pubs. Movies in the theater, babes with feathers dancing in the main lounge.

Or go up to the top deck and walk around the track while the Atlantic winds try to blow your toupee off. Or go to the spa and work off the clotted cream. Or go to the (surprisingly good) library and sit and read. Or get a blanket and a deck chair and contemplate infinity. http://gardyloo.us/Europe%20April%202005%20152a.jpg

Not a bad week. Not bad at all.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 05:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
The QM2 is nice, I've experienced a crossing and found it comfortable transportation from one side of the Atlantic to the other. In my 60s I found it dull and those enjoying themselves seemed heavily into dressing up, eating a lot, impressing one another, mostly talked about all the ships they've loved and not a recommendation I'd make to a younger couple, unless their grandparents will be joining them. I'm not saying everyone was so engaged, just everyone I met. Truly no offense intended, Gardyloo.

I dislike critiquing recommendations without offering an alternative but have none at the moment. Maybe when we know more I will.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 06:16 PM

No offense taken whatsoever, and I totally get what you're saying. We went over in early April, definitely the off-season, and didn't get sucked into the things you're describing, but for sure they're there. I was only thinking about unpack once, chill, done. But maybe <i>too</i> slow for the OP.

Assuming they <i>are</i> in Delaware, then Philly's airport has flights to everywhere, so transport logistics shouldn't be a big issue.

Scotland. It's expensive and crowded, but Edinburgh during the festival is a total blast; with five days they could sleep in, go every day to a matinee and an evening performance of some weird acts in the festival Fringe, eat great food and drink great beer, and not even bother worrying about jetlag; 2 AM is the same as 9 PM. American has nonstop flights from Philly to Glasgow; bus, train or car from there to Edinburgh, around 90 min. Take Rabbie's for a day tour to Glen Coe for a taste of the Highlands.

Monterey Bay. Fly to San Francisco, pick up a car and in under two hours you're in Santa Cruz, Monterey, Pacific Grove or Carmel. Visit the Cowell or Big Basin redwoods, the cool beachfront amusement park in Santa Cruz, the Monterey aquarium, the (t)wee shops in Carmel; take a day trip down the coast, visiting Point Lobos (gorgeous coast and lots of wildlife) followed by Big Sur or even Hearst Castle. Lots of comfortable and stylish places to see, <i>lots</i> of good food... perfect California stuff.

I'll think of more...
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 06:30 PM

Based on a trip report, I think the OP is from Wilmington, NC.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Sassafrass...you are correct! I am in Wilmington, NC! We have a small airport here that services American and Delta, or can drive to Raleigh in 2 hours (although we prefer to fly out of here).

Actually just looked at Iceland flights from RDU and they are much better than here, so that is definitely on the table.

Not sure if the QM2 is our style...we like high end but not so much hoity-toity, but I'm always up for something new so I will check it out. And yes, we may be able to do a full week.

Gardyloo, funny we were just looking at that Scotland festival. May be an option. Is it super crazy and crowded? And we LOVE California and have been many times so probably want to do something new.

My husband did Dublin with some guys a couple of years ago, so he doesn't want to go again right now (even though his poor wife has never been)...I think he is still suffering from the hangover.

Thanks for all the great advice so far...keep it coming!
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 07:55 PM

Just a note that options for THIS August in Iceland will be very slim, especially if you prefer higher-end travel. I would look into hotels and potential itinerary before booking flights to Reyk. We're headed there this May (also kid free! and same type of accommodations) and we had to book hotels early last Fall.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 02:26 AM

I don't understand the notion that flights to Iceland are expensive. We have flown Icelandair from DC the last two times we flew to Europe (Paris both times) at a cost of US$431 one way. You can hop Amtrak and be in DC in an hour or so and fly out of Dulles, fly to Reykyavik and spend your whole time there or use it as a stopover (up to 7 days free) to some other European destination. I believe WOW airlines (owned by Icelandair) is an even cheaper option, though I haven't used it.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 05:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Neither Iceland or Scotland are expensive (in fact Scotland is dirt cheap compared to the south of England) though I'd admit the festival and the fringe means that prices can appear hiked and since the OP likes to spend high end there is no issue.

More to the point about Edinburgh, it will not be a price issue but an availability issue, though I guess they could helicopter in from the countryside if rooms ran out.

Iceland used to be expensive but that was back in 2007 and there has been a lot of cod under that sea since then.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

MileHighHC...great idea...didn't realize how popular a place Iceland is (and cheers to your kid-free trip!)! What I see when checking 4 or 5 stars near City Center Reykjavik on Hotels.com are the following...can anyone weigh in on any of these?

Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel
Apotek Hotel
Hotel Borg
Kvosin Downtown Hotel
Reykjavik Marina Residence
Canopy by Hilton Reykjavik City Centre
CenterHotel Thingholt

StCirq...I live in Wilmington, NC, not Wilmington, Delaware...flights were looking at around $1500-$1700 with 2 stops each way and a total of 15-17 hours total travel time each way from here! Now, Raleigh looked much better so we would probably make the 2 hour drive up there and then stop through JFK.

Hmmm, both Iceland and Scotland sound promising! Anywhere else we should consider?
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 07:03 AM

<i>More to the point about Edinburgh, it will not be a price issue but an availability issue, though I guess they could helicopter in from the countryside if rooms ran out.</i>

I just had a look for four random nights in August during the festival, and there are plenty of rooms. Pretty much New York prices right in the middle of town (e.g. the Sheraton at US$330 a night) but really no shortage of space. There were also places outside of the central area - in Leith, out toward the airport, etc. - that were much more modestly priced. (A place I like, the Dakota in South Queensferry - shuttle to the airport, tram to town) was under $200, a steal during the festival.)

Edinburgh is jammed, hopping, eclectic, amazing during the festival. On our last visit (staying with friends in the New Town) on one day we went to a matinee performance of <i>Hamlet, the Musical</i> featuring Laertes and Hamlet dueling with poisoned herrings, while singing, and later that night saw a "big festival" (as opposed to the much more wacky Fringe) performance of <i>The Gospel at Colonus,</i> featuring the Blind Boys of Alabama doing a gospel version of blind Oedipus' final days, accompanied by Antigone, the Furies, et al. Out on the street after the play there were people doing street performances, the pubs were jammed... fab. Up on the castle esplanade the Tattoo was breaking up, no doubt with ears still ringing from massed pipes playing Beatles songs.

It's a major kick, something you should experience.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 07:39 AM

I'd see Iceland as very laid back in comparison to Edinburgh, note that Edinburgh has about 50% more population than Iceland.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 03:40 PM

Just a note WilmingtonWoman…QM2 is probably not for this trip… but it is not
hoity-toity. My husband and I always got a table for two and mainly did our own thing… reading, watching the ocean, drinking wine -
The main pleasure of being on the QM2 is realizing you're on the only OCEAN
LINER in existence.

Bon Voyage wherever you go!
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 08:18 PM

Something which should meet your criteria would be going to Quebec city for a few days, rent a car and head north along the St. Lawrence river into the gastronomic Charlevoix region. Stay at the Manoir Richelieu, also owned by the same folks who own the venerable Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, and watch whales in the river or visit the fjords of Canada on the Saguenay river. Cross the river on a ferry to Tadoussac for lunch before returning to Quebec City. It is much cheaper than going to France although with many similarities.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 12:19 AM

It is much cheaper than going to France although with many similarities

mmmmm.

Only in terms of lots of street smokers
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Well, FYI we have decided on Iceland! We lucked into a week availability at Hotel Borg so will be using that as a base. Will definitely write up a trip report after we get back. Thank you all for the great advice. Maybe next year we will do Scotland or Canada. Cheers!
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 12:00 PM

Enjoy! I'll be looking for the trip report! And high five to kid free!