First Time to the PNW

Search

First Time to the PNW

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time to the PNW

My husband and I are visiting the PNW for the first time. We are so excited, but overwhelmed with options. There seems to be so much to do, and sadly, we only have a week (minus 1 day for business). We are flying roundtrip into Seattle on Tuesday, March 3rd, and leaving Monday. We are tied up for business on Saturday. So, we have all day Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sun to explore. Top on our to-do list are Mount Rainier, Mount Hood, Mount Olympus, town of Leavenworth, Multnomah Falls, and the Columbia River Gorge (scenic drive/area). We realize this may be too big of a list, and completely open to alternatives. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions/guidance. Thank you!! ~ P.S. Turning the BIG FOUR-OH on Saturday, so a great place for dinner in Seattle would be awesome!!
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 05:49 AM

On the Olympic Peninsula, the road to Hurricane Ridge is open only on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Also, when we were there last week, the road along the Elwha River was closed for repairs. There are also a lot of road closures at Mt. Rainier. Check the parks' web sites.

We enjoyed a drive from Port Angles to Neah Bay on Highway 112. Driving in the direction of Cape Flattery, we spotted a sign that said "ocean roads." That was a surprising and scenic drive for us. It was too wet to hike to Cape Flattery.

The drive along the shore of Crescent Lake is a scenic highlight, and there is an easy hike from the ranger station to Marymere Falls.

We like to stay at the Red Lion in Port Angeles in a room with balcony on the Strait of Juan de Fuca. In Port Angeles, Sabai Thai serves better Thai food than we can find in Seattle.

In the Columbia River Gorge, we like to stay at the Best Western in Hood River. The hotel has rooms on the river, and the town has good dining options (such as Solstice Wood Fire Cafe). We always look forward to driving to Maryhill, WA, and then driving back to Hood River on WA-14. The views are great. There is an interesting museum and winery in Maryhill.

We prefer to stay in Chelan rather than Leavenworth. Lakeside Lodge has rooms with balconies on the lake, and there is a beautiful wine region around Manson--eight miles from Chelan. In Chelan we like to eat at Local Myth Pizza.

HTtY
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 06:54 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Unfortunately you need to be realistic about the weather and its impact on driving conditions at this time of year.

Any mountain areas - Mt. Rainier, Hurricane Ridge, Mt. St. Helens - are prone to heavy snow. You must carry tire chains when visiting Mt. Rainier until May 1, and rental car companies don't allow them. The same goes for Hurricane Ridge. And even if the roads are clear, the odds are better than even that it will be cloudy, raining, snowing, or all of the above once you get up to altitude. Mt. Rainier is just a long drive in the soup if the mountain is socked in when you get there.

With your limited time I'd settle for something at lower altitude, and hope that the weather clears so you can see the mountains that surround Puget Sound.

My recommendation would be to look at the "Whidbey Island loop" for two of your days. This entails traveling north from Seattle to Mukilteo, a little town with a cute lighthouse - http://gardyloo.us/20140531_3Ha.jpg - around 30 min. from downtown. Travel via WA 526, the "Boeing freeway," past the Boeing Everett plant, home of the big jets and the biggest building in the world. You can tour the plant if you want - http://futureofflight.org .

From Mukilteo take the state ferry (15 min.) over to Whidbey Island. Stop (or even spend the night) in the little waterfront village of Langley, then make your way north up the island to Fort Casey State Park - lighthouse, trails, coastal defense guns. If you want, and if the tides are cooperating, you can take another ferry over to picturesque Port Townsend on the Olympic peninsula. Or (my preference) just stay on Whidbey and visit another cute waterfront town, Coupeville.

The pièce de résistance of a visit to Whidbey is Deception Pass, the narrow channel that separates Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands. It's very scenic at any time; however if you happen to be there when the tide changes it's nothing short of awesome - the water rushing through the gap is amazing. http://www.naturallyamazing.com/americasparks/6858.jpg

Back on the mainland, a third lovely little waterfront town, La Conner, sits next to the daffodil and tulip fields of the Skagit Valley (big bulb industry.) In early March (and I think the odds are good this year) you'll be seeing daffodils - http://gardyloo.us/DSC_0077c.JPG - and I believe the migratory snow geese are still around, so if you get a clear day you might have views of geese and/or Mount Baker in the Cascades, e.g. http://gardyloo.us/20100319_56as.JPG

Then it's over to I-5 and back to Seattle. This is a terrific two-day trip (doable in one but why rush?) at any time of year, but really special in the spring.

Here's a map of the loop - https://goo.gl/maps/BLfnmj2mom62

For another day trip, in March Snoqualmie Falls is reliably spectacular - http://komonews.com/news/videos/watc...g-flood-waters . This is around 40 min. from Seattle; the big structure next to the falls is the Salish Lodge (made famous in the old "Twin Peaks" TV show - a lovely lodge and spa sitting over the falls. (Note this video is the exception - the falls are usually impressive in the winter but not this scary.) http://www.salishlodge.com/
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 09:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have your heart set on seeing Leavenworth you will be going over the Stevens Pass on US 2.
Leaving Leavenworth continue east on US 2 and then south on US 97.
You may be lucky enough to see Mt. Rainier while going south on 97. You will cross the Columbia into Oregon and get on I-84 all the way to Hood River.
From Hood River you will be able to drive south on Rt. 35 to either Mt. Hood Meadows or off US 26 to Timberline.
The base at these ski areas is close to 100" but you will not need chains to get there.
Come back down Rt. 35 and then go east on I-84 and the old Highway 30 route to see the waterfalls along the Columbia Gorge.
Multnomah Falls is the tallest in Oregon. There is a parking area in the median of I-84 at Multnomah Falls (left exit).
I-84 will bring you to I-205 near the PDX airport. Take I-205 north into Washington to tie in with I-5 back to Seattle. You may get a view of Mt. St. Helens on the way back north on I-5.
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 02:23 PM

Perhaps not the most recent info, but 10 years ago, Fodorites suggested Saltys Alkai to us for a big birthday for my DH. We loved it and the view across the bay at sunset was spectacular. We still talk about. A big plus for a foodie is that many of their great recipes are right on their website in case you're so inclined to try anything on your own. http://saltys.com/seattle

I second seeing the spring bulb flowers blooming. Haven't been there at the right time for that, but have seen lots of pictures and it looks amazing.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 08:38 PM

Along the Columbia River Gorge there is a fish hatchery that housed large (~10ft) sturgeons, though it has been a while since we visited. The fish hatchery is not too far from the Bonneville Dam. It was quite a sight to see for us.
Old Feb 21st, 2016, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your advice and guidance!! It seems it may be best for us to skip the mountains this time around. From all of the different suggestions, we came up with this: http://bit.ly/1owKtrI ------> Tue: land at 11:20am, grab our car and head to Leavenworth, spend the night there. Wed: head down to the CRGorge, tour the area, spend the night in Portland. Thu: head west and north (driving up along the river), stopping in Astoria and Lewis and Clark National Park and continuing north via 101, spend the night a little north of Seattle. Fri: Whidbey and surrounding (find that daffodil field). Sat: work and birthday dinner. Sun: Seattle. Mon: noon flight.

This involves a lot of driving, but we don't mind. We actually love driving when there's gorgeous scenery to enjoy.

For birthday dinner, we are big foodies and love all kinds of cuisines. Since it's a big birthday, we don't mind splurging a little. Would be great if we could find something near Seattle Airport Marriott. We do love restaurants that are unique and native to the area. Someone mentioned Salty's and it sounds great. Looks just a tad bit stuffy...which I may not be up to after hosting at a convention all day. The view looks like it would be worth it, though.

Thank you again, everyone, for taking the time to offer your advice. It is very much appreciated and is definitely helping with our planning. ~stp
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 05:12 AM

On the map it would appear that the highway between Portland and Astoria is drive "up along the river," but it isn't. There are few (if any) river views on the drive.

It would be better to drive to Cannon Beach for Haystack rock and Ecola State Park and then on to Astoria.

HTtY
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 05:30 AM

HTtY is right about US 30. Take US 26 west out of Portland to US 101.
To include morning views of the Columbia River Gorge and Mt. Hood stay in Hood River instead of downtown Portland.
Do drive several miles south on 101 to see Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach before heading north on 101 to Astoria.
I do remember a couple of good German restaurants in Leavenworth including a beer garden.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 06:01 AM

It's not called "US 30" consistently, just look for signs for the "Historic Columbia River Highway," which branches off from I-84 around Cascade Locks.

I've taken the liberty to revise your map - https://goo.gl/maps/YoEGQ4xAhhz - showing the historic highway, US 26 to the coast, and swapping Cape Disappointment for the Lewis and Clark site near Astoria. In my view Cape Disappointment is more scenic - http://icons.wunderground.com/data/w...82/174-800.jpg - and its Lewis and Clark interpretive center is terrific.

Note that getting from Seattle to Leavenworth to the Columbia Gorge involves crossing two mountain passes - Stevens Pass on US 2 and Blewett Pass on US 97 - that often can be snowy and icy in March. You're going to need to do some "real time" management in this regard: with a timetable as tight and aggressive as yours, being delayed for hours by roads closed for avalanche control (which happens a lot in March) is a back-breaker. Frankly, if it was me I'd scrub Leavenworth and head straight for Portland when arriving, and use the extra day to make the rest of the trip a little easier. (But full disclosure, Leavenworth makes my teeth ache.)
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for pointing that out! We would've been disappointed if we took 30 and hardly saw the river. Gardyloo, we will use your map instead, many thanks for the revision! What do you mean, Leavenworth makes your teeth ache? LOL!
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 08:04 AM

What do you mean, Leavenworth makes your teeth ache? LOL!

Leavenworth was a really drab little railroad town until the boosters hired some architecture students from the University of Washington to come up with some means of drawing tourists. They did so by proposing that the blah old buildings remodel themselves to look "Bavarian," which the owners did with a vengeance. They used Solvang, a "Danish" village in southern California as a model.

To me, at least, it's too kitschy and fake, but it's obviously a hit with many thousands of people, so maybe I'm just a curmudgeon. Okay, no maybe about it.

But with a tight timeline like yours, and given that getting to and from Leavenworth is - maybe - a dicey operation, I'd just say that if it were me I'd skip it and add those hours and days somewhere else in your itinerary.

For example, if you aimed for Hood River the first night (around 5 driving hours from Seatac via I-90, 4 via I-5) you could use the extra day to explore the eastern part of the Columbia Gorge - Stonehenge near Maryhill, maybe some early apple or pear blossoms in the Hood River Valley, or if the road's not chains-only, drive up to Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood for a day in the snow. This would be fewer hours behind the wheel, probably better weather (the Cascades are likely to be socked in, and Leavenworth in the rain/snow isn't all that special) and it would broaden the variety of the trip.

Or spend the extra day on the coast - Ecola State Park near Cannon Beach, fabulous on a stormy day, or birdwatching on Willapa Bay north of Cape Disappointment..

Just sayin'.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 08:23 AM

You're not such a curmudgeon, Gardyloo! We've been to Leavenworth a few times and it can be cute in a kitschy way, but not in March. Summer yes, fall too, and they try for the whole Christmasy-thing during that season. But with such a tight timeline, I would be really disappointed in using up my precious time that way. There's too much out there that is truly worth seeing.
Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

After your comments, I went back and took a really good look at the street views of Leavenworth, and I am already disappointed. So we are going to skip it and revise. Still really want to see Paradise on Rainier, but their Twitter page is demanding for every vehicle to carry tire chains. We're renting a car, we'll get AWD or 4WD, but will not have tire chains (and we won't dare ask the rental co). Thinking of grabbing one and throwing it in the trunk. What are the odds we'd have to actually use it? And how would rental co know if we did? Too much of a risk?
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 06:46 AM

Carrying chains is mandatory for Rainier NP until May 1, and using them on your rental car will void the contract and any insurance you paid for, and it might even jeopardize coverage from your own insurance if you have an accident or need a tow truck.

And since the odds are so high that Paradise will be socked in, and since the drive from Seattle is really long and not especially scenic, I strongly suggest you give it a pass and hope for easier access on Mount Hood. The drive up to Timberline from Hood River is every bit as scenic, it's way shorter, and if Mt. Hood is also socked in or snowing, there are easy, scenic and fun alternatives close at hand, unlike the case with Mt. Rainier.

Mt. Hood from Hood River Valley - http://gardyloo.us/20100509_85a.JPG
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 07:14 AM

If you do buy tire chains to carry along with you, get them at a Les Schwab tire store. There are many all over the NW.
If you do not open the box, you can take them back to any Les Schwab and get a full refund at the end of your trip.
(Keep your reciept).
I've kept a pair in my Toyota to be legal but I don't go anywhere that I would need them.
The last time I really had to put them on was when I was at a cabin in a valley and it snowed during the night.
Just go to Mt. Hood at Timberline.
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 08:14 AM

In most cases you will not need chains if driving an AWD.

Link to ODOT rules in Oregon.

https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/chain-laws.asp
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 09:14 AM

The rules about chains at Mt. Rainier and Olympic NPs are set by the National Park Service, not the State.
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 10:27 AM

- and here is a link to the tire chain requirements for Mount Ranier. It includes a statement about rental cars. If you do decide to go and pick up a set, in the event you need to use them and there is any resulting damage to the car, you will be billed and your insurance will most likely not cover it. Having said that, we have done the same thing for a January trip to Yellowstone. http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisi...-chain-faq.htm

Overall, Gardyloo's suggested itinerary is the best plan, IMO.
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 11:14 AM

Didn't know Park rules were different.

Gardyloo always gives excellent advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -