Search

Costa Rica Driving Route

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Driving Route

Hi, a group of 4 adults going to Costa Rica in May for a friend's wedding and I wanted advice on things to do, as well as if driving would be the best option. Here is our itinerary

Friday - arrive by noon to San Jose
1st stop Arenal
2nd stop Monteverde
Wednesday - be in Nosara by 4pm

We are hoping to rent a car to maximize the efficiency of travel time. Is this doable and are there recommended routes or any advice? If not - is there another recommended option that will still be quick? I've heard driving near Monteverde can be difficult?

Also, any advice on top things in Arenal/Monteverde and where to stay. We are likely going to do hot springs and waterfall hike in Arenal and zip line and Cloud Forest in Monteverde. Should we spend more days in Monteverde? It's a tight fit with our timeline.

Lastly, we will also be going to Manual Antonio after Nosara - and open to suggestions on driving route and things to see - but first section is a priority.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 09:39 AM

Would pick Arenal or Monteverde. Short trip to do both.

More activities in Arenal, but note that the volcano is not active right now (no fireworks). Monteverde is magical cuz its in the clouds. Day and night hikes. Bird watching. Both lush and beautiful. Both a bumpy ride to get there.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 09:40 AM

Things we liked in Monteverde were hiking in the reserve to see wildlife, especially quetzals, ziplining, and doing the night hike at Hidden Valley. In the Arenal area, we like the waterfall, hiking at the Hanging Bridges, ziplining at Sky Trek, rafting with Rios Tropicales, visiting the Proyecto Asis animal rescue center, doing the Cano Negro tour to see wildlife, tubing at the Springs Resort and Spa, and doing the Penas Blancas River Float. Both Desafio and Sunset Tours are good tour companies. We used Desafios Jeep Boat Jeep service to go between Arenal and Monteverde; it only costs about $30 per person and there are some nice views along the way. You cut across the lake. For hot springs, we like Tabacon and Eco Termales. In Manuel Antonio, we like the guided tour of the national park with Manuel Antonio Expeditions, also used them for the Damas mangrove tour. The Villa Vanilla tour is nice if you enjoy gardens and trying tasty little desserts and drinks made with spices. The beach inside the park is very pretty.

We stayed at Fonda Vela in Monteverde - I heard they might be closing though. In the Arenal area we like the Arenal Observatory Lodge, the Lost Iguana, Nayara, and The Springs Resort and Spa (pricey but we had a Groupon deal). Silencio del Campo is also popular. In Manuel Antonio, we like Tulemar Bungalows.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 09:44 AM

We like Arenal over Monteverde as well; there's plenty to keep you busy in the Arenal area if you want to skip Monteverde this trip. Much easier to get to the Arenal area as well; the road is in good shape. The road to Monteverde is pretty long and bumpy.
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Anyone rented a car and driven between theses cities themselves? I know there's option between there and the airport, but then we need to get to Nosara. As there were 4 of us, it seemed like renting a car was the most economical and efficient option. But I'm wondering if its still possible with the bumby road to Monteverde.