Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Niagra Falls, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2015, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am in the very early stages of planning our summer vacation. My husband and 15 yr. old daughter would like to visit Niagra Falls, Toronto, Ottawa, and maybe Montreal and Ithaca, NY. We have already been to Montreal and Ithaca but not the other places. My first concern is the route. We are in South Florida. We plan on flying, renting a car, road tripping, and flying home. It seems that it is less expensive to fly into U.S. and drive to Canada. Do I fly in/out of Buffalo, NY, Rochester, Vermont? I want to avoid driving back and forth and not have to spend many hours in the car during each stretch.

Once I figure out the route (a circle would be best), I would love suggestion on must see places, restaurants, etc. We love to eat and are adventuresome eaters. We enjoy native culture, art museums, and mainly nature--hiking, climbing, kayaking, etc.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 05:22 PM

I would start in Buffalo with a rental car and head north to Niagara Falls for a few nights... Include and Cave of the Winds and Maid of the Mist on the US side as well as the overlook on Goat island...

Cross over to Canada for the scenic view of the Falls and consider side tripping to nearby Niagara on the Lake(NotL)...For a great day, they offer bike tours through through the vineyards with stops for winery tours... Also don't miss the Whirlpool JetBoats which take you into the rapids below the Falls.

NotL is the place in Niagara for great food with Irish and English pubs, great winery restaurants, and even reasonably priced casual food. Try the NotL golf course restaurant, the oldest course in North America.

It's just 70 minutes drive up the QEW to Toronto... Toronto is the most diverse city in the world with neighborhoods housing the cultures of its people. The summer also hosts dozens of festivals and makes the city come alive. Lake Ontario offers several waterfront activities, including its ferries, beaches, and boating.

Off to Ottawa, the Capital... I will skip this area and yield to someone who better knows specific info...

Montreal is just hours away and offers a great mix of big city, history, French influenced culture, and nature... Old Montreal is a slice of Europe, and French Canadian dining... Be sure to try a big fat smoked meat sandwich ...

If you have the time, consider adding Quebec City for a night or two... The old city is like a mini section of Paris...

You can then re enter the US at its NY Canada border and head south toward Albany... This drive takes you within reach of the Adirondack region and an amazing brush with nature...

Once near Albany you can head west along Route 20 through the Finger Lakes... Head south toward Ithaca but be sure to enjoy the many sites and experiences of Central New York...

One final destination from Ithaca back to Buffalo is Letchworth State Park... Known as "the Grand Canyon of the East" , the park offers amazing exposure to nature.

Finish back in Buffalo airport... Have Fun planning
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

garyt22, thank you for all of your information! I hadn't thought of going through the Adirondack region. Letchworth State Park sounds great too. Will definetely check it out.

This is our third trip to Canada-First to Montreal and Quebec City, second to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. My daughter is in love with Canada, so we thought we would do Toronto and Ottawa since it will be new. Although we loved Quebec City, I don't think I want to spend all the extra time in the car from QC to Albany area.

In your opinion, how long a trip do you think we should make this? I was thinking maybe 10 days? Thanks again
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 04:25 PM

10 days is possible if you like to keep moving and drive some nights... use two nights at each stop for Niagara, Toronto, Ottawa Montreal, and one night each at more choices...

I would add two nights and consider this itinerary..

Niagara, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Lake Placid, Saratoga Springs, Ithaca, Letchworth, drive back to Buffalo... there are a few longer stretches, but it's managable...
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

O.K., thanks. I'll look at it again. Happy New Year.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 03:18 PM

Hi I am living in Toronto and have been to Montreal several times
Here a few tips

-Fill up your tank with gas before you leave the US. It's much cheaper there. Even if you are only halfway full you will save a bit of money on some gas
- In Toronto and Montreal I would suggest just leaving your car at the hotel and taking transit or walking. Both Toronto and Montreal have subway systems especially if you are just staying around the downtown parts.
-When driving though Quebec all road signs are in French. For the most part it is not too hard as all the signs the same shape. Some basic things like ouest is west and nord is north are good to know though. Also on the Montreal Metro all announcements are in french. I don't speak french but had no trouble getting around.
-If you take highway 407 it is a toll road and you will be billed for using it.
-When driving from Niagara Falls to Toronto know that the QEW is crazy busy during rush hour. You may want to avoid it during 6-9am and 3-7 pm. If you get to you hotel a little early just explore. Lots of shops in restaurants
-In Niagara Falls Ontario often you can find less expensive restaurants if you ventrue a little outside of the touristy areas.

A few suggestions for things to do in each city
Toronto
-St. Lawrence Market- neat place for shopping with unique food,gifts, crafts ect.
-Festivals - Look up festivals that are happening when you are there.
Toronto Island- Take the ferry over to Toronto Island
-On a hot day outdoor pools in Toronto are free during recreation swim. Here are a list of them. http://www1.toronto.ca/parks/prd/fac...outdoor-pools/ Schedule will be on same site in summer. One of the nicest ones is high park (also a high park is a nice place just to walk around or have a picnic). Take the subway to high park station and the park/pool are right across the road.
-If you like baseball attend a Blue Jays game

Ottawa
-Avation and War museum
- Byward Market
-A tour of the parliament building might be interesting if you are curios about how our Canadian government works.

Montreal
-Old Montreal
-Mount Royal Park

Niagara Falls
-Clifton Hill- All the touristy stuff is here.
-Most hotel lobbies will have a book of coupons witch can save you quite a bit on attractions.
- One of the best places I have been for breakfast is the Falls Manor Restaurant on Lundy's Lane. Good food and good prices. Here is a link http://www.fallsmanor.com/restaurant-overview.php

Here a few website that you might find useful
http://www.toronto.com/ tourist info
http://www.ttc.ca/ Toronto Transit
https://www.stm.info/en/info/networks/metro Montreal metro
www.where.ca/ontario/toronto/

Sites like yelp and tripadvior can also be helpful if looks for a place to eat or things to do.
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks Michael145. You have provided excellent advice and suggestions. I'm glad I checked the forum again!