Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Oceanfront Location - where in the world?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tropical location has:
oceanfront, bungalow-type housing,
would be good for 2 toddlers,
a museum,
warm, calm water for swimming,
is remote, but safe,
has open-minded, generous people?

Thanks!!
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 03:20 AM

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of destinations all over the world that fit your description.

Where are you traveling from?

How long a trip are you planning?

How long a flight are you willing to take to reach your destination?

Are you willing to take two or more connecting flights and/or ferry rides to reach your destination?

What is your budget for airfare, accommodations, food and activities?
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

RoamsAround, Thanks!
We'd be traveling from LAX, we're actually looking to move but would start with a trip of probably a month. We'd fly anywhere and are open to multiple flights/ferry rides. Budget is open, but our preference is to live similar to what we are now or would like to cut expenses as we'd like to give back more.

If it's helpful, here are some of the places I've been and why we probably wouldn't do them:

St Thomas - crime apparently is growing
St John - oceanfront living in a condo isn't what we want and it's a little too remote
Puerto Rico - loved it, but it feels like a chapter I've closed
Greece - the present economics
Hawaii - feels way to American

Would love your thoughts!
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Oops - & Tobago: Honestly the food wasn't good, but it may have been that I was traveling on the cheap at that point in my life.
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 09:51 AM

If you are planning to move, you do realize that if you can't just show up in a foreign country and take up residence. You have to first find out what the immigration requirements for that country are. Most times, getting residency entails making a substantial investment in real estate. Getting "residency" usually doesn't give you the ability to work. For that you'll need a Work Permit which can be difficult to get.

If you are a US Citizen, you'll find it infinitely easier to relocate to Puerto rico, Vieques, Culebra, the US Virgin Islands, or other US territories as you'll already have residency/work status.

If you are looking to relocate you really have to research the immigration requirements for the countries you are considering to see if you are willing to and can meet those requirements.

Keep in mind, that living expenses in places like the Caribbean will generally higher, NOT LOWER, than where you live now. On average you can expect to spend anywhere from 25% to 35% more to maintain a lifestyle similar to the one you have now. If you have to work to support yourself you'll find wages in the tropics to be lower than they are for comparable jobs "back home". That's the Catch-22 of living/working in the tropics.

You are wise to consider visiting a number of different locations for "month long' stays BEFORE you decide on where you want to reside. For what it is worth we visited more than 20 different islands before we found the one that suited our particular needs.

Do your research - be very thorough - moving to and living in the tropics is far different than being their on vacation.
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 10:33 AM

Actually, I don't think ocean *front* (and not just nearby) *housing* (versus hotel/inn) that isn't a high rise or garden style condo development is that readily available anywhere. That seems to be the crux of the issue, to me.

Even in relatively under-developed parts of the coast in Mexico (like Oaxaca, for example), the ocean front consists of hotels/inns/B&Bs.

I am not familiar with Asia, though, and not very familiar with the Caribbean, though I do know that costs there will be high.
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggest you investigate these sites:

http://www.liveandinvestoverseas.com

https://internationalliving.com

Central America, South America and SE Asia are all likely to offer what you want (although perhaps not ocean front) at considerable savings and without too much difficulty with the paperwork. Europe may not be cheaper and the paperwork will be more difficut but I would not write off Greece, and consider Portugal's south coast, or the area around Sintra.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 09:16 AM

Look at The Buccaneer on St Croix. I have a couple of threads about our stay there, if you click on my name.

Museum? Hmmm. Not likely at an oceanfront location, but The Buccaneer has an interesting history and the owner takes guests on a walkabout to describe it all. She also invites guests to a complimentary cocktail hour every week.
Old Nov 18th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much.

RoamsAround - We work for ourselves, so that wouldn't be an issue. Happy to put in the legwork to get appropriate paperwork, etc. Also definitely planning to do month-long visits. Just with 2 toddlers, would prefer to make as few of those trips as possible

The non-hi rise oceanfront seems to be so tricky. For some reason I feel like I'd seen run-down bungalows in The Bahamas but can't find them now...

Also not in love with hurricane season in the Carribean.

Keep pondering Thailand and Bali in theory but not quite sure.

Off to check out your recommendations. Would love more, too!
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 03:59 AM

About 7 years ago we started travelling the world to look for a new place to settle down after a period of voluntary work in Sierra Leone - we are still looking. We have visited many different countries some of which we loved but, for a variety of reasons, were non starters for a wide variety of reasons.

Places that were high on our list included:

Argentina - fantastic, diverse country but politically and economically unstable
Ecuador - relatively easy for expats to gain permanent residence - like a South America in miniature, it has it all, jungle, beach, mountains
Vietnam - amazing country, wonderful people, great food, crap infrastructure but improving rapidly. Spent a round three months there this year and will definitely return
Peru - really easy place to travel, a wonderful country with a fascinating history Arequipa is a city I could easily live in.
New Zealand - of all the place we have travelled, this would be the place easiest to live. Unfortunately, it is becoming increasing difficult to get a residential visa

You mentioned Thailand, a place we have visited many times but it is no longer a place I would consider living. Way too many expats already, a military dictatorship runs the country but there are quiet nice places and it is well connected to the rest of the world. We visited Bali this year after an absence of 15 years and couldn't believe how crowded it had become. Lots of westerners do make there homes there and, as a result, property prices have shot up.

Of course, with children, you will no doubt have different priorities, like healthcare and education. These will vary widely in quality and availability in any country you may consider.

Good luck with your deliberations!
Old Nov 19th, 2015, 05:55 AM

Hi crellston - didn't realize that was why you were traveling. Do I gather the UK is off the list? I have been considering moving back.... Portugal is on my list too, notice you didn't include anywhere in Europe. NZ didn't seem to want anyone over 45.

Did you decide against Ecuador, and if so, why?
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 01:12 AM

Hi Thursdaysd,

That was one of the reasons, the other main one being a chronic addiction to travelling!

Nothing, including the UK is off the list at the moment. Impending grandparenthood has made decisions somewhat problematic as on son is in England and the other in Australia ( a good enough reason to continue travelling I suppose).

I forgot to mention that we spent a year in Spain in 2012/3 in a small town in Andalusia and loved it. I could live in parts of Spain and speak reasonable Spanish so there or South America would be comparatively easy choices. I friend is currently looking at Portugal and is quite enthused. I have only ever been for a long weekend in Lisbon so don't really comment - except that I don't think there is room in my head for another language!

Of course as UK citizens, we currently have the right of residence in any EU country ( I assume this applies to you as well with dual nationality?). Although I up have travelled extensively I really haven't spent much time around Europe - although my wife has expressed a desire to explore Croatia and that part of the world(I detect the influence of yours and everywhereonce's blogs, before we hit South America next year.

Re moving back to the UK - do you have anywhere specific in mind?

Haven't really decided against Ecuador as such and it is still on the agenda. It has great, mostly free, healthcare, a reasonable infrastructure and a huge amount of variety to offer. Also has the added advantage of a hard currency in the USD. When we visited in 2013 wee arrived at what may, or may not have been a property bubble. Prices were rising dramatically in the main expat centres like Cuenca and Cochabamba. imho property was way over valued. Ecuador sells its self as a retirement haven and indeed Cuenca has a large expat, mostly US population. Great. Permanent visas didn't seem to be as easy to get at the government made out! Maybe we will take another look.

I know hat you mean about NZ. When we looked at it we had nowhere near the required points. To get in would have meant retraining as a helicopter pilot or a hairdresser?? Or having more children - none of which were an option!!
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 05:33 AM

Hi Crellston,

Yes, dual national, born and grew up in England. Of course, if the referendum goes the wrong way, Europe will be a problem.

I have a TR on here called "Loving Lisbon" and I've been back two-three times since. I believe the expats tend to live in Cascais and Sintra, though. Or the Algarve - not my scene. No way I can afford London, so I was thinking one of the cathedral cities - Salisbury, Bath, York etc. - a university would be a plus. I am terrible at learning languages, and since I supposedly learned French (and Latin!) eons ago, and failed to learn Mandarin (can't hear the tones) more recently I find I'm resistant to putting in the effort to learn another, so France is a possibility too.

Highly recommend the Balkans, but not just Croatia - Slovenia, Macedonia, Montenegro... don't miss Sarajevo, and don't visit Dubrovnik without checking the cruise ship schedules, never mind what Everywhereonce says.

"Chronic addiction to traveling", ah yes. When I get home, I start planning the next trip, instead of working on where to move.
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 08:23 AM

Salisbury, Bath and York are all great choices but have you considered Wells? a really nice city and beautiful cathedral, but sadly no Uni.

I too "supposedly'' learned French and Latin at school enjoyed Latin - hated French! also took a couple of terms of Thai a few years ago thought I had forgotten it all but it a lot did come back when we visited this trip (I too had problems with tones).Unfortunately,it was time wasted as most Thais seem now to speak english!

Thanks for Balkans suggestions and for the heads up re cruise ships. it would not have occurred to me!
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 11:56 AM

Wells is lovely, but a bit on the small side. I also want a good rail link to London.

To check arrivals for Dubrovnik go here:
http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/girica1.php

Not sure about other ports in the area. I have encounterd cruise ship tours in quite surprising places recently - Pecs in Hungary, Salamanca in Spain...