Help for London lodging and travel

Old Oct 15th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help for London lodging and travel

I am planning a trip for 3 (myself, daughter and husband) to Europe in June. We will arrive at London Heathrow on 27 Jun. We will spend two nights and then take the train to Paris on the morning of June 29. What suggestions for lodging would anyone have? I am not opposed to a B and B or similar and am thinking it would be good to be near the train station so as to lessen the public transportation planning! i know this is vague but i just started planning. all input is appreciated!
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 11:49 AM

There are no real traditional B&Bs in central London though some places trade on the name - not cheap anyway - Travel Lodges can have good rates for modern hotels:

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/uk/london/hotels-in-london - may be one near St Pancras International from where Eurostar trains to Paris depart.
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 01:14 PM

What is your lodging budget per night?

Also, is this your first trip to London? After you get through customs and find your hotel, you'll really only have a jet-lagged half day and one full day there. Is it possible for you to stay longer? Maybe, if you post your trip itinerary, people can suggest adjustments.

Lee Ann
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 04:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes -- no one can give you any sort of useful advice w/o knowing your budget . . .

(I do hope the rest of your trip isn't this quick)
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 05:20 PM

London is a very large, spread out city with dozens of major sights. Giving it just one day is VERY short shrift. For me 4 days would be the absolute minimum to see/do much of anything.

Since you haven't provided other info it's hard to make any recos. At least give us a nightly hotel budget - keeping in mind that London is not cheap.
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 05:25 PM

Hi BERNIEANN,

I agree as above, too short a time.

Do you expect to engage one room or two in a hotel?
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 03:03 AM

Bloomsbury would be a good location; close to St Pancras, nice area with plenty of hotels and restaurants.

Agree that it is very short for London.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 07:17 AM

We like the small "B&B inns and hotels," filtering by that, and "Bloomsbury" or "City Center" "Kensington" etc. in trip advisor. Then paying attention to the reviews, which I have found to be accurate.

You can get a triple room, and the breakfast room is one of our favorite parts: friendly start to the day. If you want somewhere sleek and standardized, this would not be your cup of tea.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 01:31 AM

We are right now at premier inn hotel saint pancras.
Very well located. Comfortable clean excellent breakfast large enough room
Expensive for me but not for London.
Mvg
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks. I only require clean, safe lodging! We basically are just staying two nights on way to Paris. Palen Q..Sounds like your post might be a good starting point. Really do wish we could stay longer but not possible this time. Stokebailey....I will check on your suggestion as there are three of us. THanks everyone.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 06:49 AM

The Princess is just down the block from St. Pancras. I stayed there last year in a cheap basic single and liked it a lot. (It's since been renovated, prices raised, and no longer offers breakfast.) Probably nicer, well reviewed but I've not peeked in there: Jesmond Dene. There are several small hotels on that block of Argyle Street and Argyle Square, but again I'd look carefully at reviews. Lots of public transport in that area, of course, and a pleasant walk to British Museum, a bit longer to Covent Garden.

The neighborhood is perfectly fine, as a woman on foot walking sometimes pretty late at night. Ditto Bloomsbury, where I think the King's Cross/St. Pancras area is included in tripadvisor dot com. Don't miss peeking into the British Library.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 06:51 AM

We stayed at the Ibis Blackfriars and liked it. It was close to a metro and the waterloo train station. Small, but clean and comfortable. Pretty walk to Westminster Abbey.