Help picking an island!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted on here previously and thought I'd found our match. I was set on Jamaica but the more I hear about the people on the beach constantly trying to sell you things, the less appealing it sounds. We're flexible on dates (either November/NYE this year or March/May of next year) and would like to spend no more than $3-4k total. We don't need clubbing nightlife but a few cool beach bars would be nice! Other than that, water to swim/snorkel in and a pool with a bar would be wonderful. We're not too picky Just want to relax and enjoy ourselves but have the option to "go out" if we want.
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 03:21 PM

swimup pool bars can be creepy. There's often the bar rat that pounds a 6 pack of beer in the afternoon, never leaving his seat. Just sayin'
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

I didn't specifically mean a bar IN the pool - a bar by the pool would do

Thanks!
Old Oct 14th, 2015, 05:04 AM

Do you mean 3-4k total ( food, hotel, flights)? or just 3-4k for hotel? NYE will be the most expensive & probably booked. May would be the least expensive. How long are you planning to be away? 7 nights?
We have been to all that you mention-Turks & Caicos would be my choice . Food is great, most resorts are condos which can save $$ by eating breakfast in & making your own drinks.
Old Oct 14th, 2015, 10:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Jamaica. Negril in particular is a favorite place of mine. I think it's a shame to dismiss such a beautiful island because someone might try to sell you something on the beach.
Old Oct 14th, 2015, 12:10 PM

Stay Away!
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 05:41 AM

Try Aruba--they are not allowed 0t sell on the beach and to some people that can become very annoying day after day. Aruba has fabulous restaurants, and is not a depressing island by any stretch of the imagination. Driving is easy. Your needs match about every island out there. We stay at Divi Links in Aruba, and they have a wonderful pool it is gorgeous. You do have to walk across the street to the beach however. There are many hotels on the beach the high rise section. A very friendly happy island with lovely people.
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 06:15 AM

We were in Turks and Caicos last year... lovely, lovey beaches, great snorkeling.. Not much going on at night. Beach bar closed at 10 pm.. Great place if you want to just relax. We did this after traveling thru Europe for 3 weeks so just wanted to chill.

BVI - omg the islands are close enough to island jump, very cool places. Bath's to snorkel.. Soggy Bottom - hee

You may want to look at St.Marteen.. just wow, night life, great beaches.. Lots to do and lots of beaches. French side GREAT FOOD... Dutch side.. shopping.. clubs.

this is just my opinion heee I like to get out and about
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Lucia
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 04:45 AM

Bookmarking for later - we're set on Jamaica too for our next trip there.

I've heard or read so many horror stories about such petty things like people trying to sell you stuff ... or petition girls in Paris that I just ignore those.

We've been to Guadeloupe, Cuba, Saint-Martin (mostly french side) Dominican Republic.

We'd happily return anytime to St Martin - like Broncett says : great food, also great people, great sights, great walks, great beaches, great weather. And they speak french ! We didn't like the dutch side - btw we didn't encounter anybody speaking dutch...

We would also return anytime to Cuba : great people, great sights, great cities, great weather, great beaches.

we would NOT go back to Guadeloupe - some very nice people and some not at all and only country I've felt some racism directed towards me - guess it is interesting to feel at a low level what some have to endure their whole life, but I didn't like it.

mvg
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 07:15 PM

I agree with Starrs. Seriously consider St. Lucia.

Check out my personal travel blog on the island. It will give you lots of good information and a perspective you will not see in travel brochures.

I should know. I live in Canada but was born there and travel there regularly.

Go to:

https://www.travelblog.org/Central-A...og-788144.html

Good luck.
Old Oct 25th, 2015, 07:04 PM

Hi!
If you want all those amenities and have a short budget i suggest coming to Belize. Get a vacation package for San Pedro. Let me know if you're interested.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 02:13 AM

Hi there. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation then I think you should consider going to the Bahamas. The beaches out there are really amazing. Last year I took my family for a vacation there and it was awesome. Also had great fun in the cocktail party organised with our cruise friends. We are really looking forward for another trip out there. You could easily take the small cruise ships to the Bahamas & Caicos Islands. Check out the availability and packages offered.
http://www.blountsmallshipadventures...view=itinerary