First road trip from Tulsa to New Orleans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am not a frequent forum writer but I will try my best. Planning to travel from Puerto Rico to Tulsa Oklahoma on family matters. Not really spending much time in Tulsa unless there is anything attractive. Me and my family of 5 would like to take a road trip from Tulsa to New Orleans and back. Have about approximately 10 days for this trip spending Christmas and new years around this area. I would like some help in place to visit along the way, places to stay in New Orleans for New years eve and good places to eat. My budget is not high but not so restricted (not sure if this is helpful). Any advise is helpful for first timers. Thank you
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 07:15 AM

Last December, our family spent the 3 days before New Years Eve in New Orleans. There's lots to see and do in the area and you could easily spend much more time there than we did. We stayed at the SpringHill Suites New Orleans Downtown and found it to be a nice hotel at an affordable (for NOLA) price. We were able to walk or take the trolley to all the sights.

Two of our favorite places to eat were quite affordable--Mother's and Deanie's.

As far as your road trip, it's hard to recommend where to stop and what to see without knowing your interests. If I were to make that trip, I'd be stopping in all the places with Civil War and Civil Rights historical sites, e.g. Little Rock, Vicksburg, Natchez and Jackson.
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Traveling with a toddler but also adults running between 20,30,40 and 50s. Difficult to answer what are our interest. We all like historical sites, "must see" places, distinctive place which difficult to see any were else. Like to have fun, like parties but not so wild These descriptions are way more difficult to recommend something specific but anything would be of help.
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 09:17 AM

The Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock should appeal across ages.
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 02:33 PM

Little rock is not on your route. It's a ten hour drive from Tulsa to New Orleans, how much time along the way do you want to take? Will you be in Tulsa for Christmas or will you be somewhere else?

There's also the Sugar Bowl on January 1st which will men lots of people in town for the long weekend.
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 07:28 PM

Little Rock is on the route from Tulsa to New Orleans if the OP is taking the eastern route through Arkansas and Mississippi to NOLA.

Actually, for the sake of diversity, the OP might want to take the eastern route one way and the western route (through East Texas and Louisiana) one way.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 09:07 AM

I'm not sure the Clinton Library will be of interest to those from out of the country. I live in Arkansas and have been two times and am not impressed. Crystal Bridges and the Amazeuem ( for the kiddos) would I think be much more appealing... Driving through the Delta though of SE Arkansas is quite the experience, stopping at hole in the walls to eat.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 06:38 PM

The OP is not a foreign visitor. Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 07:56 AM

<<I'm not sure the Clinton Library will be of interest to those from out of the country.>>

What country? PR is a US commonwealth. Geez, every four years, PR has a primary in the presidential race and sends reps to the national conventions.

<<Little Rock is on the route from Tulsa to New Orleans if the OP is taking the eastern route through Arkansas and Mississippi to NOLA.>>

All the routes from Tulsa to New Orleans are eastern. The question is whether she's going to take the more NORTHERN route or the more SOUTHERN route.

All that said, the OP's descriptions are not good guidelines for advice. This means little: <i>Difficult to answer what are our interest. We all like historical sites, "must see" places, distinctive place which difficult to see any were else. Like to have fun, like parties but not so wild.</i>

No such thing as a must see because everyone's interests differ. There are plenty of historical sites, but what part of history - pre-Louisiana Purchase, civil war battlefields, civil rights era, Old South plantations (there are a ton in Louisiana and SW Mississippi)?

And speak in dollars for your budget. Your statement that "My budget is not high but not so restricted (not sure if this is helpful)" is useless. Remember that New Orleans will be more expensive than your stopovers.
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Would like to stay where we can see the fireworks on new years. Any suggestions on where to stay?
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Hello, would like to update my plans. We are staying at OKC for Christmas because we want to go to OKC Zoo on the 26 of Dec. After that we will be on our way to NO on the 26 pm. Would like any suggestions on where to go on our way through Texas. Planning to stop at Houston The Galleria. We reserve in NO Dec 29-1.
Old Nov 22nd, 2015, 07:48 AM

Why the Houston Galleria??

That route will be probably the longest and most boring of the routes if you go.
Old Nov 27th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to stop somewhere for shopping and read it was one of the largest malls. WickedGood any suggestions in routes?