Search

Hapuna beach, big island

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hapuna beach, big island

Hi all,
I'm going to be in Hapuna Beach Prince hotel in the month of july for a week.
Looking for fun things to do (hiking, biking, adventure) and really cool places to eat. I'm more interested in ethnic cuisine, great food rather than fancy..but don't mind that either.
Do I need to rent a car?
I was planning on flying to Kuaui for 3 days and hike there after spending 6 days in big island..good idea???
Thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 11:29 AM
Uma

We stayed in their sister property, the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, which has a smaller but equally lovely beach. You can take a shuttle between the two hotels. Suggest you rent a car.
Enjoyed Bamboo Restaurant in the town of Hawi. If you want to splurge, we had a great dinner at the restaurant at the Four Seasons Resort Hualalai. Kauai is stunning; was our favorite of the Hawaiian islands.
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 12:41 PM

This thread might be of interest:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...big-island.cfm
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 02:02 PM

You will definitely want a car, both on the Big Island and Kaua'i.

Hapuna Beach Prince is in the island's beach zone, which IMO is the best area to stay, as that coastline has some of the best snorkeling in the entire state. But it's at least 10 miles from the nearest town of any size, so your dining options will be limited to a few places in the community of Kawaihae, and/or restaurants in the Mauna Kea or Mauna Lani Resort properties. I don't know much about those in the Mauna Kea, but there are some good ones at the Mauna Lani Shops. If you're interested in local dishes, look for poke, plate lunch, spam musubi, and loco moco. Yum!! Usually lots of ethic options, though most are Asian.

Much of that side of the island is lava beds, so you'd have to drive to find good hiking too. Pololu and Waipio Valleys are both popular, then beyond those is the Hamakua Coast, and eventually Volcano National Park. If you're interested in that, consider nixing Kaua'i and spending a couple nights near the park. Or, defer the hiking to Kaua'i and spending your time on the Big Island exploring underwater. Either way, you've picked my two favorite islands.
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 04:18 AM

A car is essential. Book one asap as they do sell out. The Big Island simply demands a rental car. There is no real public transportation (what there is, is designed more for workers at the hotels) and cabs would be outrageously expensive. It is also huge. You must have a car.

In terms of restaurants. Nearby, we like Da Fish House in Kawaihee, Blue Dragon, Village Burger and Merrimans in Waimea, the poke bar at Foodland at the Mauna Lani, Napua at the Beach Club at Mauna Lani, Lava Lava at Waikoloa Beach Resort (fun Happy Hour), the Beach Tree and Ulu at the Four Seasons. Tommy Bahamas at the Mauna Lani has a good Happy Hour.

The Big Island is the best for snorkeling. My favorite spot is the Beach Club. (Makaiwa).

Do a Manta Ray night snorkel or dive.

Face In the Crowd gave you good ideas for hikes.

Have a great trip.
Old May 25th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I think I like the idea of skipping Kuaui and going to Hilo for hiking!
Any fav long hikes or tours that I can join for 2-3 day hiking adventure?