Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need advice on 16 day trip: Co. Clare, Ireland to Budapest, Hungary

Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am looking for the best itinerary from Ireland to Hungary. Including my first and last stops & travel time for those two, it will really be 10 days.
Spain, France, Portugal, Italy, Greece and Germany are all possible stops in between.

Any suggestions on an itinerary for Days 4-13?

Day 1: Travel
Day 2, 3: County Clare, Ireland

Day 4-13: ??

Day 14, 15: Budapest, Hungary
Day 16: Travel

Thanks!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 07:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Who can possibly answer that since you have listed half or western Europe in your 'maybe's'?

And do you actually only plan 1.5 days in Ireland?
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 10:09 AM

What kind of transport do you plan to use?
Also, where do you live & have you been to these parts of Europe before?
How adventurous are you? What kind of budget are you on?

The answers to these and many more would help fodorites to give you some suggestions
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

janisj - I have listed half of Europe, as I am open to travel anywhere between Ireland and Budapest (except London which I have already been to). I have been to Ireland a few times already, so yes - I don't plan on spending too much time there. Responding with questions that have already been answered in my initial post are not helpful. If you have some actual suggestions - those would be helpful.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Ricardo_215 - My family and I will be flying into Europe from the US. My plans are wide open for now. I am open to traveling anywhere (except London), as long as I start in Ireland and end up in Hungary. I should be able to squeeze about 3 major cities. So I need recommendations on 3 cities that I could cheaply travel to with a family.

I've heard RyanAir is a cheap airline to use, but that trains can be a cheaper option if traveling to a nearby country.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 11:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Responding with questions that have already been answered in my initial post <<

>> If you have some actual suggestions - those would be helpful.<<

You didn't give us anything to speak of in the OP so clarifying information/details are needed before anyone can offer any useful suggestions.

With low cost airlines and rails service you could actually go ANYWHERE but we know nothing about 1) time of year, 2) how many of you, 3) ages, 4) what sorts of things interest you, 5) what sorts of thing you want to avoid . . . or anything else.

There are soooooooo many interesting cities in Europe - you need to help at least a bit.

We really can't work out an itinerary out of thin air . . . but we <i>can</i> help you improve/refine your own plan.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

janisj- Perfect, some clarifying questions so that you can provide suggestions.
1) End of June into beginning of July
2) 6 people
3) 4 are 18 to 28-yr-olds, 2 adults in their 50s
4) Culture, food, major sites
5) overpriced, overrated areas

I don't have an itinerary yet, apart for my first and last destination. If the purpose of this site is not to aid with an itinerary, but rather to improve on an already set plan, then I will have to repost when I have a more finalized plan.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 02:03 PM

If you are flying out of Dublin we found Lufthansa to have best flying times to Frankfurt. Their rates are a little higher than ryan air but luggage and extras more than made up for it. Friends are doing Aer Lingus to Prague. Train it to Budapest from there. From Frankfurt you can see Cochem, Boppard, Rothenburg and other beautiful villages along the rivers. You could work fly to Vienna also and train it to Hungary.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 08:06 AM

How about flying from Ireland to Rome?

Then you could see Rome, Bologna and Verona (or any combination you wish) and fly from Venice (Treviso) to Budapest with Ryanair.