Reload this Page >

BEWARE OF AVIS CAR HIRE

Search

BEWARE OF AVIS CAR HIRE

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two things everyone should do when renting a car:

(1) Use a credit card that provides rental car insurance. The credit card will then reimburse you for the deductible.

(2) If you see a scratch... at the minimum, take a picture of it, or - better - a series of pictures showing that you're in the rental company's lot. Make sure the picture is time stamped. This will be evidence enough to win any case.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ONE thing that everyone who rents a car should do is:

remember that they are the ones who rented the car and nobody really cares that they had some bad experience because they were too lazy to do their homework/due diligence/whatever you want to call it.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 05:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We just had a great experience with a one-week Avis rental in France.

I dealt with Avis directly and got a rate lower than what I found on Autoeurope. Not a lot lower but lower.

We were given a car which IMO was nicer than the type/category I had reserved. GPS was included at no charge, and there was no charge for pick-up/drop-off in different locations. The car was in good shape, both interior and exterior, and very clean.

The tank was nearly 1/2 full when we picked up the car and not quite full when we turned it in. Avis gave us a very generous credit for about 1/3 tank of gas.

No complaints with Avis from me.
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 04:54 AM

I have seen that many people have had the same problem.
As many, I refused to pay the all risks insurance, I had never had an accident before and it was the worst moment to have one.
So that I rented my car in London, and I have an accident in Dover's ferry port, a bit more than an hour away.

A polish lorry driver crashed my car when I was stopped. It was last May.
They not only charged me the 800 pounds for the insurance excess, but also the full fuel tank, what is obviously not fair, because i had the accident just 2 hours after I pick it up.

They didn't want to give me back the amount of money that they took unfairly. I didn't want the full amount, because I understand that I didn't return the car with the tank full of fuel, but just because I had an accident, and even the police said my car was not able to drive anymore, so I went to the closest AVIS store, instead of going to the petrol station. I understand if they charge me some money for that, but not the full tank. After claiming by phone and email, they didn't want to give me back my money. I was so upset for this unfairly thing, that I went to the office where I picked up the car, and fortunately, the kind man working in the office, the only fair worker from avis I have ever met, give me back the money charged for the fuel tank.

But I am still waiting, after 8 months, for getting back my money charged because of the accident. I know the fault was not mine. But after emailing them 20 times, they always say they are not able to reach the responsible, the insurance companies don't respond and so on. They always give me excuses.

And yes, I read the contract, which says that in case of accident they would charge me 800 pounds, and later, if the insurances companies decide that it is was not my fault, they will give me back, but in the contract they dont say that they lack of professionalism to help the customers, or keep the customer inform when they have paid a unfair amount of money.

I know people who have had the same problem than me in EUROPACAR, and they are really happy with the resolution of the problems. So I would never rent a car in AVIS, and I recommend not doing so.
Cheers
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 05:48 AM

>>>I refused to pay the all risks insurance, I had never had an accident before<<<

You don't seem to understand the concept of insurance. The point is it protects you from FUTURE events, not ones in the past.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 02:40 AM

I know I took the risk. Anyway the fault was not mine. there was a policeman who witnessed the accident. but the problem is that the lorry driver is from Poland, and I rented the car in London and the accident was in Dover's port. And they say they cannot find the lorry driver nor the insurance company. I filled all the required documentation with all the details required after the accident, the policeman helped to do so. I am almost one year waiting for an answer. It is sad that a big company like AVIS struggle to find a lorry driver or an insurance company, even if it is out of England. They have offices and stores in everywhere. It should be easier for them. And it is not just that. They didn't take a copy of any document I filled. I have had to send them twice the documents with the driver and company details. and I email them every month to know about my case, otherwise, I wouldn't know how the case is going on, because they never contact me to let me know about it. I am starting to be tired of emailing them and not been informed. It is like they dont care about my situation, the 800 pounds they took from me and being not my fault, they still don't email me to inform me. If i dont email them in 2 months, they dont give me information about the case. That is not professional for a big company like them. NEVER AVIS.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 02:44 AM

And what about the fuel? they charged me for the whole tank, even having the accident 2 hours after I picked up the car. You think that is fair? At least there was a nice guy in the store who sorted it out for me, giving me back the money of the full tank. However, after calling and emailing them some times, they just said that they couldn't give me back my money that they charged for the full tank, even if I just used a quarter or even less of the tank, and that I couldn't fill it up because the car was not able to drive. NEVER AVIS.
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 05:44 AM

Neveravis, once foreign vehicles leave the UK the drivers are very hard to track down, and many get away without paying fines for traffic offences. How much trouble and expense do you think Avis will expend trying to get back the £800 for you? You took a chance, and now you are paying for it. Live and learn. ;-)
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 06:57 AM

I dont see how it is not your fault...you didnt take the extra insurance therefore when you have an accident, even when it is not your fault, you will pay. That is why you pay for the extra insurance.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 07:53 PM

This all sounds pretty fishy to me. If you are an experienced renter you already know what the rules are with insurance. In Australia and New Zealand the excess is about $3,000, this being reduced right down if you pay the extra. You need to access if it is worth it and in an area that is likely to have other tourists driving in unfamiliar areas let alone any bad local drivers then obviously it is worth the extra. I recently had a few days in my own country at a crowded tourist spot and took out the extra insurance, felt so much more relaxed about driving in the area. I only rent from the 'top four' including Avis and Budget and have never had a problem. Also if you don't return the car with the tank filled up they will charge a premium so it's your fault if you didn't do that. Try posting something positive about your trip and next time remember to read the small print before driving off..
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 09:09 PM

To drscheel and others
I experienced a similar situation with Hertz in Australia. There was pre existing damage on a black car, a missing drivers side door lock cover exposing bare metal. The damage was so obvious that I wrongly assumed they knew about it .

Many times in the next six months I would kick myself for not taking a photo of the damage.

The company claimed I caused the damage and duly debited my credit card for several thousand dollars.

It took about six months and many emails, but I got reimbursed for every cent.

I pointed out to them that either; they didn't check the vehicle after the last hirer, or (and I suspect this is more likely) that the last hirer had the extra insurance.

Don't give up
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 03:41 PM

I totally agree that one should STAY AWAY FROM AVIS.
I rented a car with Avis last July in Tenerife, Spain. Although my pre-paid rental included local taxes and surcharges, Avis added a total of $720 in "additional insurance, taxes, fuel and other optional products/services" that were never mentioned at the time of rental or in my confirmation certificate. I tried to dispute the charges, but to no avail. Avis insisted that since I had signed the contract, I had to pay all the charges mentioned in it. So, beware.
Unfortunately, Avis uses such tactics regularly and not just in Europe, but everywhere - just read online reviews.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 04:56 PM

I have no particular love or dislike of Avis but I find it strange, Nikolai, that you seem to have registered just to post to this old thread.
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 08:26 AM

Hmmm

Yes, car rental companies often have obtuse contracts and try to hose the customer every chance possible. People who rent regularly are aware of this and know how to protect themselves. But, this kind of victim blaming is beneath us all. A bit of sympathy with the useful information would perhaps be more appropriate?

(snarkiness for the GREEK driver being fully warranted )

To the posters who have had a bad time with car rentals :
Unfortunately, every car rental company is the same.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 09:49 AM

I am unhappy with Avis as well. I would NEVER recommend this company for car hire.

Flew into San Diego Airport in August 2014 for a vacation with my wife. The car hire had all been arranged before we travelled. I had also arranged and paid for additional insurance, so I wouldn't need to take out any once there. However, when uplifting the car I was asked to 'sign' (using small PDA's) the contracts. This I did. I did notice mention on one of them regarding insurance, but thought this was part of the package I had paid for. However, when I received my credit card statement weeks later, I found I'd been charged hundred's of pounds for insurance, which I never asked for.

Whilst signing the contract, the member of staff never made mention of insurance. If he had, I would have declined it. This is either poor training or business practice. Any other company I have hired from ask whether you wish to take out insurance. They don't just raid your credit card. In my opinion this money was obtained fraudulently.

I contacted my travel agent, who wasn't able to assist. I also contacted my credit card Company, but as they said I had signed for this, there was nothing they could do to help me. I then contacted Avis in America. They have subsequently given me a "goodwill" payment, which is less than half of what they took from me. Their opinion is I, as a customer, should read the documents prior to signing !! I understand that, but when you arrive late at night, after a very long flight, and are faced with 2 A4 sheets full of small print, it's easier said than done. I believe they should have made mention of insurance, not just make me sign the contracts. Considering there was a queue behind us, I'm sure tempers would be frayed if we spent 15 minutes or so reading them in detail.

It may be that this would only happen at San Diego Airport, I don't know, but the member of staff gave me the option of a Mazda 3 or VW Passat. I chose the Passat. However, when I went out to the lot I found the car was actually a VW Jetta (a not great looking one at that!). How he can have the keys and documentation in his hand and still get the car wrong, I don't know. Also, compared to the car I'd hired in Florida the year before (a different Company), this one handled like a tank. In short, service is abysmal, staff poorly trained/incompetent, and the vehicles pitiful.

As a result, I am recommending to my friends, family work colleagues, and everyone else, NOT to hire from Avis. If you do decide to, put the member of staff on the spot regarding insurance, even if this causes a delay behind you.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 09:18 AM

I'm glad to have read this, as I plan a trip to Greece (to/from Athens airport) & Italy (arriving at Naples, leaving from Pisa) I will need to book car hire in both countries, and we may book twice in Italy, depending on the extra charge for dropping off at different location.

Thanks for all the warnings. I will read documents very carefully and make sure any damage to cars is noted .
I am wondering, though, why such different prices?
For 6 days in late May in Athens, Greece skyscanner gives (compact 2-3 doors) rent.it charging 85 euro, next cheapest is autoescape - 144 euro, rentalcars.com 177 euro, sixt 308 euro! All seem to be the same kind of deals.

I have hired cars about 8 times. They usually offer you the full tank to full tank option, or full to empty. I reversed into a nasty concrete bollard once in a car park in Nice. The hire car parking guy was unnecessarily rude to me about it, but I had the insurance so they didn't charge me.

But I do need to book again for May. Am I best booking now or waiting? Or is that impossible to know? It seems to be a minefield out there. I've never had a car-hire problem, but I have been reading some horror stories on reviewcentre.com
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 06:56 PM

I booked a car in Athens through EconomyCarrentals.com The car was supplied by Avis. There was a strike on when I returned the car to the airport after a week. There was no gas to be had... all the service stations had run out. The lady at the Avis desk charged me 60 euros for gas which, since the car was running on fumes, is about what it would have cost elsewhere. She could have charged me 100 euros per the contract if I failed to fill it but she didn't. I wouldn't hesitate to use Economy and/or Avis again. I've often heard it said that budget.gr has excellent prices too. .GR not .com
Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 12:18 AM

Avis has been my go-to place whenever I wanna rent a car for my trip. I recently hired from Avis through carrentalsmarket.com and the service was ok. Booked through the app i downloaded, after comparing rates and then payed when i got to the counter. I've never had issues with them .
Old Apr 24th, 2015, 10:23 AM

i have used Avis plenty of times, never had any problems. in Greece, i have rent from Avis 3 times. 2 in Athens and one in Katakolon (near Ancient Olympia). all the times, i had no problem, no over charging or anything else. unfortunately, the second time i rented from Athens airport, i had a small accident (my fault), but i had extra insurance, so they didnt charge me anything. if you are not sure what you are signing, READ the contract before you sign and add the extra insurance if you are still not sure. in Katakolon, i was there just for few hours as part of my cruise, the service was more "personal" than in big cities, had great recommendations of what to do while there from Avis staff. have also rented from Avis in UK and in Italy, no problems there as well.
keep in mind that avis.gr has fixed prices, not the same for avis.co.uk though.
what i mean is that if i want to book a car for June, whenever i book it (now or a day earlier) it will be tha same in .gr but not the same in .co.uk
As for Katakolon there is an Avis site katakolo-rentacar.com just for the cruise ship passengers with the same prices all year.
now, i have booked a car with Avis in Valencia-Spain, hopefully the service will be great there too.
I have also used Budget once in London, great service too. Not happy with Europcar again in London, but this is my personal opinion at that time.
Old Dec 28th, 2015, 03:16 AM

Ricardo_215, there are not only horror stories about car hire on the review centre, but also on other travel forums like Lonelyplanet, Tripadvisor or here on Fodors.

Often the problem is, that people book a car without reading the rental conditions carefully. When the car is collected they face all kinds of charges for services which are not included in the basic rental price.

This is not only the case with Avis in Greece, it happens with a lot of other companies in many popular travel destinations. Here is an interesting article about car hire in Spain without financial surprises: http://www.hispacar.com/blogs/en/use...ial-surprises/

Doing some research and knowing what exactly you are booking, e.g. reading the small print, are important things to bear in mind if you want to avoid unpleasant situations during your holidays. So do your homework before you book