Spain in 8 Days with kids in their 20s

Old Jan 8th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain in 8 Days with kids in their 20s

Hey folks, I'm starting to play a quick trip to Spain in late May, with our college aged sons. For some reason I am completely daunted by where to begin, given that we only have 8 days and Spain is so diverse. I'm not sure if its best to limit our time to either the northern or southern coasts or do a triangle such as Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla or Bilboa, Madrid and Barcelona? We are interested in food, culture and outdoor activities…figuring my husband and I can do some museums/churches while the boys do their own thing…We are comfortable renting a car or the train….Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated….Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 05:35 PM

My quick comment would be that with 8 days (and I'm assuming you mean 8 full days) you limit yourself to two cities, such as Madrid and Barcelona. You can always do one or a couple of day trips out of Madrid to Toledo and/or Segovia.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 07:12 PM

"Kids in their 20s". I would take this as a socialital issue. But in response to your inquiry, and as already noted by cruiseluv, you only have time to visit two major locations, unless you want to spend all of your time on the road.

Based on your interest, I would stick to Madrid and Barcelona.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 05:12 AM

Um - are these "kids" also inputting on designing the trip. I would leave most of the work up to them so they are fully invested. On their first trip (1 week London and 1 Paris) we had out 11 and 14 DDs do a lot of work on sights, restaurants and shopping - so they could look forward to it - and we didn;t have to spend the whole time joined at the hip.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 06:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Struggling with "socialital" which is something in the feminist enviro. Cannot get a definition, can you help?

Madrid and Barcelona or
Madrid and the Balearic Islands
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Hah I didn't know what socialital meant either.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 07:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
In May 2014 we went to Spain,(for 8 nights) our "kids in their 20's" went to London and Paris.

We rented a car and did Oropesa (1 night), Seville (2 nights) Merida (2 nights) and Madrid near the airport (3 nights. We had not interest in Madrid itself but did Toledo and Pedraza as day trips.

We also managed to visit Guadalupe, Trujillo, little towns in between and do some hikes.

My suggestion would be to wish each other a good time upon landing and meet again on departure day.

Mark
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 07:47 AM

Robert, Did you mean Societal?
I think lots of people call their sons and daughters "kids" forever. It does not mean they think of them as children. It is just a manner of speaking. I know, without thinking about it, we might say, "the kids are coming for christmas," said "kids" being in their 40s. Not at all an unusual figure of speech.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 08:10 AM

Societal it is. No autocorrect!
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 08:55 AM

Off topic, but our kids (16 and 19) notice this problem. They dislike being called the children or the kids, but there's no separate e word in English to refer to one's adult offspring.

On the destination question, I agree that 2 cities would be the best. We and our kids liked each of Madrid and Barcelona very much, and they each have a different feel and different things to do. Highlights of Madrid for us were the Prado and the tapas bars. Highlights of Barcelona were Sagrada Familia and the rest of the Gaudi stuff.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 09:01 AM

Nothing wrong with the word "kids" - it's treating adults like luggage or little ones, rather than making sure they take a large part of the responsibility that's the problem.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 09:02 AM

They are children forever, that is the correct word. What else are you going to call them. Kids is just slang for children, that's all.

I'd pick only two places in 8 days, like Madrid and Seville or Madrid and Barcelona. That's it. So 4 and 4, you could do one day trip i Seville, such as to Cordoba, by train.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 09:54 AM

Christins's suggestion of splitting your time between Madrid and Seville with a day trip to Cordoba and perhaps going on to Granada on the way back to Madrid is a good one. Three days in Madrid, five days for the rest of the trip. No need to shunt off the kids, as some people here seem to like to do. You all can spend some time together, some time apart.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 10:19 AM

How about discussing it with the young adults:
Are they interested in night life and beaches?
Or would they enjoy small towns and hiking?
Or....whatever

Both Barcelona an Madrid have a great night life ,
food, things to see, possibility for day trips..
The two cities are well connected by fast train ( 2.5 hours)
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... I like the suggestion of two cites and think we will focus on two places....Madrid and Seville. With some day trips thrown in, Toledo, cordoba, Granada etc....

I didn't mean to start a fire storm with the use of "kids". On a personal note, my mother law law refers to us as kids, and my 91 year old father still refers to me as his baby, which I appreciate even being in my 50's!!! My sons will always be my kids - and I call my 6'7" youngest son, MY baby, and he gets a big kick out of it. Different strokes I guess....
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 02:01 PM

Toledo is a short, easy day trip from Madrid. Do not miss the mind-blowing cathedral.
Cordoba is an easy day trip from Seville, definitely worth it for the mosque.
Granada is not a good day trip from Seville. You need a whole day and night to see the Alhambra.

With 8 days, if you are landing in Madrid, here is a possible plan.

Head straight to Seville.
Seville 3 nights
Stop in Cordoba on the way to Granada, stashing luggage at the train station.
Granada 2 nights
Madrid 3 nights
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 04:03 PM

Yes, too much territory, meaning less time to enjoy. You should concentrate on one area such as Andalucia or Barcelone (with Madrid perhaps an arrival place). And yes, do consult your sons about their interests, something more than just free time while you are in a museum. Truth is I'd encourage them just to see Goya in the Prado, then Picasso's Guernica in nearby Cason del Buen Retiro. Certainly they will tire easily...don't we all!

College age is hard to gauge...they might actually find being with parents OK. Or they might indeed want to be on their own. You'll know best. But I'd have some concern about safety such as pickpockets in Madrid or Barcelona. Might search out a flamenco performance...right now after our Spain trip it's been a new interest for me. And do search out comments in the various Fodors trip report on Spain...lots of clues.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 01:30 AM

Robert started the fire on this thread with his comment.

skiobx for your information here in Spain the word niños (children) is used for all off spring. Even when they are over 30. It still confuses us when the Spanish say this and refer to older children. What one has to remember it is the family bond. But you will fit in well, please keep using the term.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 02:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is possible to do the Alhambra from Seville in a loooong day . Remember to book the timed tickets for access online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -