Search

Advice needed: Caribbean island / beaches for small children/toddlers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed: Caribbean island / beaches for small children/toddlers

Hello All,

I'm trying to book a beach trip to the Caribbean in Jan/Feb for around 10 days, and am looking for advice on traveling with a 3 1/2 year old and 1 1/2 year old. St Thomas has come up on my searches, but I'm open any any island.

Any parents with advice on easy-access beaches, areas that are kid-friendly with restaurants nearby would be really appreciated!

Thank you in advance
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 12:25 PM

What type of budget do you have? Knowing how much you are willing to spend on accommodations will help us narrow down suggestions. Keep in mind that January/February is "High Season" in the Caribbean so expect to see the most expensive room rates of the year no matter where you go.

Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas might be a good choice if it's in your budget - very nice beach and close to restaurants.

If you are willing to take a ferry from St. Thomas look at Caneel Bay on St. John - 7 calm water beaches right on the property and a nice "family" atmosphere.

The Bahamas, especially the northern ones in the chain, could be cool in January/February could be cool
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response.

I'd like to keep the entire trip under 10k. I was thinking a beachfront condo may be better with small kids (meals, etc..). Is Sapphire Beach a tourist trap, or are there other beaches on St Thomas you'd recommend staying at?
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 07:28 AM

What about the Westin on St John?
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

The Westin looks nice, thank you. We could stay a week there and then move somewhere else for a week. Any other kid-friendly St Thomas / St John recommendations?
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 02:34 PM
WWK

I'm not trying to be rude, but we didn't think much of The Westin when we stayed there a few years ago. The hotel is on a very small bay, and we had to take taxis to get downtown. We enjoyed St. John, but would not go back there.

Have you thought about Grand Cayman? We used to go there all the time with our kids when they were small. There are tons of condos on Seven Mile Beach, most of them within easy walking distance to a big American style supermarket ( less to bring for your child!) and restaurants.

The only downside may be pricing, since it's one of the more expensive islands. Take a look at VILLAS OF THE GALLEON, which is where we always stayed. It's on what I think is the best part of the beach, very close to everything mentioned above.

Good luck!
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 03:28 PM

There are scores of "condo resorts" on Providenciales' Grace Bay (Turks & Caicos) that are perfect for families with young children. Check out Ocean Club & Ocean Club West.
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 05:13 PM
WWK

I was going to suggest T&C, but for ten days in season that budget might be tight for most of the condos on Grace Bay.
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 08:22 AM

I sound like a broken record, as I always recommend The Buccaneer on St Croix. They have a variety of types of lodging, from which you could choose. I recommend a double queen oceanfront room, which has a small private patio, and is directly on the beach.

It's not an AI, but a wonderful breakfast buffet is included, in an open air restaurant with gorgeous views. There's also a snack bar by the pool, with good food. And another open air restaurant by the beach, with better food.

It is very reasonably priced, and customer service is excellent.

We stayed on property for the most part, because snorkeling and scuba can be done from there. Both beaches are gentle enough for children.

We rented a car one day to tour the island, visit the rain forest, the eastern point, the beer drinking pigs, etc. The car was delivered and picked up again at the resort.

You can find more information on a couple of threads I have about it.

http://www.thebuccaneer.com/
Old Dec 10th, 2014, 01:16 PM

The east end of St. Thomas has plenty of condominiums. Besides the ones at Sapphire, there is the Elysian, Cowpet East and West, the Anchorage, Secret Harbour Beach and Secret Harbour Villas.
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 02:12 AM

Thanks for this. I also think West coast in Barbados could have been a nice addition. Believe me you will love this place (and its people).
Old Dec 11th, 2014, 10:06 AM

You might want to check out VRBO for condos. I know there are some on the Ritz STT property though they are expensive high season.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 08:49 AM

Would suggest renting a condo on 7 mile beach on Grand Cayman. Lots to do as well besides the beach including botanical garndens, turtle farm which the kids will love and dolphin discover (not our thing). Agree with one of the above poster that overall it is a pricey island so you may want to consider that in your plans. My second choice would be Turks with little ones. Turks also is one of the more expensive islands to visit however the beaches are great, especially Sapodilla bay and Taylor bay for the little ones.
Lastly, if you decide to go with St Thomas then consider the ?Marriott resort (there are two sections to this resort but one is right on a gorgeous calm beach). We were only there one night but it was a good exp for us.