Search

When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part

Hello
Please let me know if Christmas markets in Tirol are similar or comparable with markets in Germany, like in Munchen, Rottenburg ob der Tauber, Heidelberg etc.
When these markets start in Tirol.
At this moment I have a great offer of inexpensive flights from my place to Munchen, Would Munchen airport be the good starting point to access Tirol by train in possibly cheap way.
I am a little in hurry because that offer of cheap tickets lasts only 24 hours.
Plaese give me some orientation if 7 days will be sufficient to visit few markets.
Annacouvert
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 09:26 PM

Hi annacouvert,

Thank you for direting my attention to this new topic of yours -- it sounds like a great trip!

Unfortunately, though, I don't have any experience with Austrian Christmas markets, lol, even though I live so close! I've decided to see the one in Seefeld this year, just to see that town because so many people enoy it.

I will say that my impression is that they would be similar to German Christmas markets, yes. In my experience, the only ones that were significantly different were those in the French-speaking part of Switzerland (Montreux), where you find foie gras and fondue instead of Wurst.

I think the plan to start in Munich and train down to the Tirol is excellent. When I travel to Switzerland, I try to go via Innsbruck through the Tyrolian Alps, and I think it's a wonderful, scenic route (the Austrians ought to market it as a scenic train as the Swiss do!!).

Which markets are you thinking of? I would definitely hit Salzburg and then a smaller place like Zell-am-See, or similar.

Oh, to find the start dates, I would just google them.

Sorry I can't help more!

s
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Swandav2000.
I am not sure which markets I am thinking of, Did not research it that deeply, but the area of Tirol is probably the last one where I did not see them, and yet may be northern Germany.
For French speaking markets I have seen on in Strassburg and have to say that it is not as charming as German markets are, to that point that they serve mulled wine in a plastic cup and you can not warm your hand like in case of holding a ceramic cup.
As you know I should not even think about it at the moment ending my assingments andbeing in the middle of packing for another trip. I heard the market in Innsbruck is very nice but this is info from advertisements not necessary the truth in real life.
Perhaps you know if towns are heavily decorated before Christmas with lights decorations.
If you think Munchen is the right starting point I will buy tickets and do the rest after I come back from Switzerland
A.
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 12:13 AM

I am pretty sure they are comparable to average German markets.

A quick search on the internet would come up with dates and times. Like this one (Innsbruck):

http://www.christkindlmarkt.cc/

Starts 15 November (which is too early for a true Christmas market lover like me.)
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 01:02 AM

I realize that Tirol is closer to Munich than other parts of Austria, but the markets there can be VERY crowded, esp Salzburg. Have you thought of checking out Graz instead? Lovely city, very nice market, far fewer tourists.

http://www.graztourismus.at/advent/e...istmas-markets

There are direct trains (5 hours, so this means an overnight stay) or direct flights (one hour), so you could do it in a single day -- catch the first direct flight out in the morning and the last one back in the afternoon/evening. Although, IMO, Graz is worth an overnight.
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Ingo, I am happy to hear from Christmas market lover, isn't this kind of market the best treat for the soul?
When I come back from my trip, I go tomorrow and come back on 19th, I hope we can exchange more infos about markets.

Yes, I realize the markets will be crowded but with the fragrance of gingerbread and mulled wine and sausages, with the peaks of mountains covered in snow I can survive crowds. BTW, I understand that Christmas markets in Austria are every day not weekends only?
Graz, thank you WeisserTee for suggestion, is very well worth longer stay than 1 night and may be next year I go there, I think I would have better access from Wien and to Wien I have convenient overnight train.
Thank you
Annacouvert
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 03:00 AM

The market in Innsbruck begins on 15th November.

I've been to the market in Innsbruck, and also to a few in the Italian Tyrol (Bressanone/Brixen and Bolzano/Bozen). I'm not a huge fan of Christmas markets, but my daughter wanted to go. They were all very similar, so that in my memory I can't distinguish one from the other.

They all have too many scented candles for my taste, as well as wooden Christmas ornaments, potholders, aprons,wooden toys, etc. There are indeed local products, which is the best part, but I think those can be found year round.

The thing I liked best about Bolzano was the Archaeological Museum, where Ötzi, the prehistoric man found in a glacier, is preserved, along with very interesting exhibits about the research on his life and his death.
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 03:04 AM

The market in Innsbruck is every day; I imagine the others are as well. Those in Alto Adige begin later in November, but are also every day.

I just remembered that I bought a year's supply of oatmeal in Bolzano, because it's very hard to find here (Le Marche).
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 04:35 PM

Hi,

We visited the Christmas markets in Austria in 2010 and 2013.
Innsbruck (our favorite) and Salzburg are open every day. Towns such as Zell am See, St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgang, Strobl, Hallein and Rattenberg are not open every day, but are open only Thursday through Sunday. We also liked visiting Sterzing/Vipiteno and Brixen/Bressanone in Italy, not far from Innsbruck. Yes, they are similar, but we just loved the lights, decorations, the smells of food and chestnuts and the incredible festive atmosphere of each. Next time we need to include New Years Eve in maybe Innsbruck!

We have some photo's at:

www.flickr.com/photos/pjbassplyr/sets/

Paul
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 04:43 PM

Here is a link to a site that lists dates of christmas markets in Germany, Annacouverte. http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/ My Son runs several, but they are in Aachen, Cologne, etc., not in the Tirol.
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 07:03 AM

I have been to a few Christmas Markets in Germany and Austria. I just love to soak up the atmosphere!

I find the more charming the town (Rothenburg, Garmish, Innsbruck) the better the Christmas Market experience.

Munich would be a great base to cover Bavaria.

If you can, try and visit Neuschwanstein castle which I feel is beyond beautiful in winter.
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Hello
I very much appreciate all responses and advice.

I just came back from my trip to Switzerland and I can put all my efforts into planning Christmas markets for December.

You mentioned Rothenburg, which Rothenburg is it, is it Rothenburg ob Der Tauber in Germany?
I also found some info about a town of Rattenberg organizing a traditional medieval Christmas market. I also read in an old folder about towns: Hall and Kufstein having interesting markets. Do you know anything about markets in these towns?

I have Innsbruck and Salzburg in my plans for sure but would like to add some other places to it.
In Bavaria I have been to Augsburg and Landshut and of course Munich which I will visit with a pleasure again.

Annacouvert
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 06:23 PM

Hi,

innsbruck is incredible during the markets. Hall in Tirol has a much more local feel to it. We went to both in 2010 and 2013. Rattenberg has a very medieval atmosphere to it. I don't think it is open for long though. We went on opening night in 2010 and it was incredible! In addition to Salzburg, look at nearby Berchtesgaden, which has a very nice market Thurs. - Sunday. Also, in the Salzkammergut, St. Gilgen and especially St. Wolfgang, are very nice, again Thurs. - Sunday.

We have plenty of pic's at:

www.flickr.com/photos/pjbassplyr/sets

Paul
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 09:25 PM

Hi again,

Well, Munich has a wonderful Medieval market held in the courtyard of one of its medieval churches. It's my favorite one there -- folks dressed in medieval costumes, some medieval grog, and handcrafts on offer, etc.

s
Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Paul, great photos! I will research all markets you suggested and see which I can attend.
I Wonder if the little village In Austrian mountains where the "Silent Night" as Reba sings was born really exists. If so I would like to visit, but can not find any info. Do you know anything about it?

Swandav2000, Switzerland was beautiful, actually I can not even express it in words how much I liked it. I have seen all I wanted, although did not visit Gruyeres but the cheese came to me in Luzern in the form of cheese festiwal with cheese makers from Switzerland, music, tasting, fondue, and even artificial cow to experience milking a cow procedure! And in Zermatt and Gornergrat I have seen Matterhorn in all its stunning beauty!

I went to Munich markets few years ago but I do not remeber seeing one in the courtyard of the church. Do you remember what church?
I will also need to find the most scenic and inexpensive at the same time way of travelling in Austria.
Annacouvert
Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 03:52 AM

Hi again,

Here's some info on the Silent Night chapel, near Austria:

http://www.austria.info/us/vacation-...f-1471614.html

I visited a few decades ago, and even then it was mobbed . . . but definitely magical.

Here's information on the Munich medieval market:

http://www.mittelaltermarkt-muenchen.../start_en.html

s
Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 03:55 AM

ok, I'm typing on my tablet and copying & pasting urls on the tablet is verrry difficult. I was so focused on getting them in there that I made a few errors --

First of all, hoory! So glad you enjoyed Switzerland. It is lovely; I think it's hard not to have a good time there.

Secondly, the Silent Night chapel is IN Austria but NEAR Salzburg. Sorry for the error.

s
Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 07:20 AM

The Rothenburg I was referring to is the one on the Tauber (Romantic Road). It is extremely popular all year long. Worth at least an overnight (Try the Nightwatchmans tour!) But it is a bit of a trip from Munich.

-john
Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 10:22 AM

We went to the Silent Night Church in 2010, but it was too crowded, so we passed on it.
Old Oct 24th, 2014, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Thank you everyone for the very valuable advice.

I can see that I will have plenty to do during my first visit in Tirol and revisiting Bavaria.
I have been to Rottenburg ob Der Tauber Christmas Market, I stayed overnight and the town itself and the market are unforgetabble indeed.

I hope for a fresh snow during my visit.

Thank you everyone

Annacouvert