Search

Italy tours

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not assume they would have anything like the problems of the Grand circle saga. In that case the OP knew her energy levels and desires were NOT a match for the tour (she specifically wanted a slow pace to do masses of photos and tours just aren't set up that way) - and went ahead anyway, even after being advised not to.

The thing one must accept about any tour is that everything is predicated on the needs of the group - and individuals requiring a lot of extra attention or a different itinerary will not be able to get what they need.
Old Sep 17th, 2014, 07:18 PM

IM-Have your "clients" consulted guide books?
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 07:32 AM

IMD - I'm reading the Perillo itinerary and it doesn't look like the trip for your sister and friend. I'm almost certain that they get left at the train station to find their train car and get their luggage on board.

In Venice there's a further problem as the train station is Santa Lucia but their driver picks them up at Piazzale Roma, the bus station. They have to get themselves and luggage from the train station to where they meet the driver. It's not far but unless they have light luggage and it's a good walking day there will be problems.

Lots of leisure time. They will need to figure out how to get around by themselves and plan activities. They might as well be traveling on their own.

The time on this tour is so short they will hardly have time to see anything. They would be so much better off booking their own trip and using a guided company, such as Context, to take them around to certain spots. For some sightseeing they can use taxis in Rome, book a very central hotel in Florence and Venice.

The Perillo tour is not cheap - minimum $2,600 per person for 8 days. They could get private guides, book their own flights and hotels and probably come out ahead. And have a better time and more time in Italy.
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

My clients, from which I will paid in agita, just have general ideas of what they want to see. I have mentioned guide books to my sister in the past. My sister is more the shopper than the museum goer, more the people watcher than the antiquities tourist. Additionally she is a fussy eater and intimidated by the fact she doesn't speak Italian. That is why I think a tour might be right for her. A controlled environment would suit her well, now she must settle on which controlled environment.
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 10:09 AM

<< I will paid in agita >>

LOL I haven't heard that word in many years.

What do you mean by fussy?

It sounds like the Perillo is not right for her but the Road Scholar would not be right either as it focuses on the more scholarly aspect of travel and has university lecturers. Not much focus on shopping.

How will your sister shop if she is intimidated by her lack of Italian.
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

My sister has placed well in the shopping Olympics over the years:

3rd in Credit cards
4th in Cash
5th in haggling

I suggested she get either a crib sheet or an app that has a calculator. She will some how overcome all her fears to shop.

Fussy eater means she is not adventurous and likes her food prepared exactly like she likes it. I explained to her that food tastes very different in Italy and in Italy there are regional dishes and rarely do you encounter dishes that resemble Italian-American food. Theoretically, I think she understands but she always compares places and food to what she knows and likes.

OK, I will eliminate Roads Scholars as well. Thanks.

This will be her only trip to Italy and something she has longed dreamed of, so I want to her to have the best trip possible.
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 05:10 PM

I would be more specific in giving her info about Italian food and restaurants so she knows how much to order (ie the fish or meat course is just that - doensn't come with veggies, pasta, rice or potatoes and salad) and portions are a lot smaller than most places in the US. Also clue her in on areas with pasta or rice, olive oil or butter, sea food versus meat/chicken (and not to bother with beef except in a steak restaurant).

She really needs a detailed menu reader so she can understand not just that she is getting chicken or whatever - but how the dish is prepared. (She doesn't sound like one of those people intent on pizzaing her way across Italy.)
Old Sep 18th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Good idea.

Sounds like she will just hit the biggies Venice-Florence-Rome where they are used to tourists and most of the tours offer some combination of meals. But still she needs to know the usual customs.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 10:26 AM

She should know that in Tuscany the bread doesn't have salt and is tasteless to me. The common noodle is pici which is a very thick spaghetti (think of the extreme other end of the scale from cappellini). Again, it's distasteful to me.
Old Sep 19th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

I sent her some basics of Italian eating.

There was a restaurant in our neighborhood that cooked Tuscan style and had a wood burning oven where they made their own bread without salt. I prefer salt as an ingredient but the texture was terrific. Their store made pasta was spectacular. Now if they just had paid their taxes.....

My sister is a soda drinker and I already explained that the price will be substantially higher.
Old Sep 20th, 2014, 09:09 PM

We've been on 3 Grand Circle Tours and never had any problems. They usually are a group of 40 or so on a bus. Hotels have been fine and meals were good, when included. We enjoyed the home hosted meal included in each tour. Most travelers were seniors or thereabouts. We also had enough free time to explore on our own, but they usually had an optional tour you could take instead. Maybe we were lucky, but we would consider GCT again in the future.

I don't know what they offer in Italy, but we're going on our own in Oct and if it were up to me, we'd be on a tour!
Old Sep 20th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Granny.