Using phone as a GPS

Search

Using phone as a GPS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2014, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using phone as a GPS

My car has dashboard GPS. When traveling I usually bring a spare GPS we have just for that purpose, but know that many people just use an app or website on their phone. Would prefer not to bring a GPS on trips where I am doing little driving, but using the "Maps" on my phone - Apple 5S - has not gone well. I know it is user error, but I can't get it to put me in the correct state - I think I have to do something with turning on the locator thing on my phone which I probably turned off since I prefer not to have people tracking me.

I have used Mapquest as a website, not sure if there is an app. So what works well as an app or other on smartphone for GPS. (And first paragraph indicates how technology-impaired I am, so keep that in mind)
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 03:44 AM

In order to use your iPhone as a GPS, you have to enable location services (at least for the maps app). To do so, go to Settings, Privacy, Location Services, Maps. If you don't like the Apple Maps app, you can download the Google Maps app for free. But you have to enable location services for that app, too.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 03:52 AM

I use Siri as my GPS when I am driving a rental or the like.

I ask Siri "Give me directions to Joe's Diner" or "123 Main Street" or the like and she takes it from there.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 04:19 AM

Download the maps for the area you will be visiting, so you don't end up with a huge data bill, turn on GPS and away you go.

I use Here maps on my Windows Phone. I am intending to use it in California when we visit too. I have downloaded the map already.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 04:51 AM

I use google maps, which works well.
My phone does not have Siri or I would ask her.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

I asked Siri when I was trying to find a local market. Gave her address. She sent me to South Carolina (I am in Boston). That is probably the location thing.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 05:37 AM
J62

I too use google maps on my iPhone. I prefer it over the Apple maps app.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 07:05 AM

I also use Google maps. You must enable location services, though. GPS uses your location to route you and it will have a heck of a time if it can't figure out where you are to start with.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Siri won't do a thing for you if you don't have location services turned on. I like Google maps best.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 09:04 AM

I use the free app "WAZE", on my iPhone 5. It has never failed me, even in Los Angeles where I can get lost in a heartbeat (I have no sense of direction!).

WAZE has a voice, so you don't have to be concerned about using it without a passenger navigating. It alerts you to speed traps and traffic cameras. It alerts you to traffic problems ahead, and re-routes you. If you make a wrong turn, it automatically resets and gets you back on track.

I highly recommend it.

I think I heard that Google is buying WAZE, which may or may not be a good thing!
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 09:08 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
My GF uses Waze. I use google maps and INRIX to see traffic problems. You have to turn on your location.

What people are tracking you?
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 01:14 PM

The NSA could be tracking you, but they don't need location services to be turned on to do so. They don't even need your phone to be turned on to do so! So there's really no point in worrying about this, it's a fact of modern life.

(Women escaping serious abusers are also advised to leave Location services off, btw, but that's another topic. )

Turn on location services, use Maps (on iPhone, much improved) or Google Maps and don't worry, be happy ��
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

I know if the NSA wants to find me they can. And I have no serious present or past abuser. I just don't like the apps and Facebook when they start posting where you are. Like saying "hey - I'm in California. Come rob my house"

But I guess for next trip (to San Antonio in late September - come rob my house - but first you will have to deal with husband and son who are staying home) I will turn it on and use phone as GPS.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 04:57 PM

By definition turning on the "location" feature enables the GPS for that app on your phone. Needless to say, if you aren't willing to do that, then no maps app is going to work. I use the Google maps app almost exclusively now for my car nav. We simply didn't get an in-car GPS this time, and I've found that Google is actually superior in most ways. It accounts for traffic congestion in real time.

FYI if the NSA wants to find you, your car's navigation system will work quite nicely. It's "location" feature is always on by default.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 06:34 PM

"and Facebook when they start posting where you are"
Delete the location.
If you see the location showing up, click on location and choose to x it out (at the bottom of the screen). You can opt not to have your location show up - or you can even set the location to Timbuktu if you want. You're in control, not the phone.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 07:03 PM

"and Facebook when they start posting where you are"
Delete the location.
If you see the location showing up, click on location and choose to x it out (at the bottom of the screen). You can opt not to have your location show up - or you can even set the location to Timbuktu if you want. You're in control, not the phone.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 07:17 PM

gail, believe me, I understand there are many good reasons for not wishing to be tracked. I meant only that I have accepted it as a fact of life, not that everyone should.

Doug's right--cars with OnStar or similar have built-in tracking, no phone necessary. When we bought our car the dealer told us about a customer who went off the road into a ditch, unconscious, and might have died had his car not called for help and given his location. So--there are plusses and minuses.

As for Facebook, you can specify which apps use location services on your phone--you can allow Maps but not Facebook.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 06:13 AM

We also use our iPhone maps app as a GPS. This drains the phone of complete power faster than anticipated. Now, we just keep the phone plugged into the car charger as we use it while driving. I have no idea if this practice could potentially harm the phone but it seems to be ok after a long summer of road trips.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 07:04 AM

Charging the phone in the car will not harm it.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

I used the phone for work today as my car was in the shop and had husband's car. I used MapQuest App and was happy with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -