Southeast Asian help

Old Aug 12th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southeast Asian help

Hello,

Planning my vacation for next year and I came for some advise from fellow travelers. I am planning to go to southeast Asia, but still haven't decided on the places. So I was wondering. With 1 month would you recommend only doing 1 country like Thailand for the entire time? or best of say 3 or 4 countries (maybe Vietnam, Thailand, Myamar and and Cambidia)

My interests are very broad but mainly history, culture, food and a couple of days of beach at most.

My budget would be around 10k for the entire trip for me in my wife. We are in our early 30s.

Also, how soon would you recommend of buying tickets. We are planning to go by the end of May 2015.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 06:24 PM

With one month I'd advise one or two countries, three at most. If you are interested in Myanmar, go soon, as it is changing rapidly. Three weeks in Myanmar and a few days in Bangkok would make a great trip, for instance.
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Kathie, that's what i get from a lot people, to only do 2 countries in the amount of time. Since it's my first time in Asia. I got recommended Thailand and Cambodia. Myanmar sounds awesome, but do you think it's a good idea for a first trip to Asia?
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 09:13 PM

Do some reading. The whole of north east Thailand has history and culture off the beaten path if you want something diff to mainstream.

http://www.travelfish.org/trip_plann...northeast-tour
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 11:48 PM

Generally speaking, the sooner you buy tickets the better. Although some airlines do operate sales from time to time when significant discounts can be available. As you are not travelling until next May I would be inclined to set up an alert for flight with kayak.com or Skyscanner.com (both have great apps available). I would also be inclined to register on a few airline websites as they sometimes have sales available direct. You don't say where you are travelling from so it is difficult to suggest which airlines.

As for where to go? May - June is low season in much of SE Asia so hotel rates etc. Will be lower, the downside is that there will be a lot of rain in many places. No big deal as it tends to rain in short sharp bursts in many places and you will get sunshine as well. The countryside will be greener and places less crowded. You need to pick your beach location carefully if wether is a big factor for you.

Thailand is a terrific country for a first time visit with a huge amount to see and do and many flights to SE Asia from Europe and North America will arrive in Bangkok so it makes sense to spend at least a few days there. You could spend all your time there but I do fee a month would be too long at that time of year. Beach time would be better spent on the East ( gulf) coast.

For me, an ideal month long trip would be to combine Vietnam and Cambodia with Bankok. 20 days spent travelling from north Vietnam to the South and then on to. Cambodia for Angkor for a few days.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

@prachuap. I will check that out. Thank you!

@crellston. I'm traveling from the Washington DC. I will definitely use the alerts. So, would you recommend Vietnam as a country more than Thailand? and just stopping at Bangkok?
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 07:43 AM

for airlines I might suggest the following: ANA, Korean, United, Swiss, Singapore, Emerites, Luftansa, Finn.. My current fav is Korean, but next month I am trying swiss from boston.

I think for 1 month I would consider Thailand as my primary stop with one other place for a few days (siem reap, Cambodia or luang prabang, laos or Singapore).

Bkk is a fabulous city with very nice affordable hotels, fabulous food, lovely sightseeing opportunities, an execiting river and much more. your hotel choice or choices is very important to your over-all enjoyment of your trip, imo. many of us prefer riverside hotels: anantara riverside, peninsula, chatrium riverside, royal orchid Sheraton, Shangri-La, Hilton to name a few. I like to start my SEA trips in bkk and end them there as well.

there are very nice beach locations within an hours flight of bkk too.

many people like to go up country to chiang mai and chiang rai areas as well...

let us help you plan.

I'm one who usually buys my air tickets first, about a year in advance, having watched prices for a while.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much @rhkkmk! I think I'm inclining more towards Thailand and Siem Reap. No I will read as much as i can in both!
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 07:03 PM

Thailand/Cambodia is a great combination for a first trip.
Old Aug 13th, 2014, 10:01 PM

Dsauana - Vietnam -v- Thailand? Both are wonderful places to visit and bath have therir pros and cons. I have boosted both countries many times but for me Vietnam has the edge ( but only just).

I suppose it really depends on what interests YOU. Thailand is certainly the country to go to if you are looking for luxury hotels as it has some of the best hotels in Asia at bargains prices, particularly at that time of year. However, it is not as inexpensive as it was even a few years ago. The tourism infrastructure is well developed so you will find it easy to get about and many people in the tourism industry will speak English. If beaches are important to you, then Thailand has them in abundance ( but do check the weather for the right locations).

If you are comfortable with a less developed infrastructure and want to experience the roads less travelled, then , I would suggest you would be well rewarded with amazing landscapes, interesting cultural experience in unspoiled ethnic minority villages. It sees far fewer tourists than Thailand so, in some place places English is not spoken widely. Hanoi is an incredible city in which to spend a few days and whilst it is not on a par with Bangkok, I would still put it in my top five cities in the world.

Wherever you decide, I am sure you will have a wonderful time. It is difficult not to in tha part of the world
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your kind replies!
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your kind replies!