Netherlands Delta Works

Old Jul 24th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Netherlands Delta Works

Named one of the 7 wonders of the modern world, we are considering visiting this area during our upcoming visit to the Netherlands. We are having a tough time finding information on exactly where to go and if this trip will be worthwhile for us as part of a day trip from Amsterdam to the area of the Hague and Delft (we will have a rental car)

It appears that Neeltje Jans is probably not worth the trip.

Can anyone provide more details though about the Maeslant barrier (Maeslantkering), http://www.keringhuis.nl/index.php?id=37. Specifically,
1) Is this worth the trip to see it?
2) What is in the visitor center?
3) How are the English-speaking tours (they are offered once daily) and would it worthwhile for a family of four with a 12 and 15 year old?
4) Any other tips?

Any other recommendation(s) on the best way to appreciate this engineering marvel (the entire Delta Works project)l with our two teens?

Thanks!

Jeff
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 06:15 PM

We went there in May, as my wife always wanted to see it. But even she thought it was a bit of disappointment. I think it is more interesting in theory. There were English speakers at the visitor's desk but I have no idea about tours. There is also a chintzy water park.
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response and the helpful info.

It sounds like you may be referring to the "Neeltje Jans" which we know has the water park. We have heard that Neeltje Jans is NOT worth visiting due to the museum being run-down and the water park/museum being over-priced. It is also located further south than the Maeslant barrier.

Did you visit the Maeslant barrier as well? We were not aware of a water park at this site, but who knows.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 07:16 PM

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with Maeslant Barrier. There are so many worthwhile towns in Belgium and The Netherlands that I would bypass the Waterworks.

On the day we visited the Waterworks we started in Gent and would up in Antwerp both of which have much to offer. I would imagine teens would love the Antwerp rail station. It is a renovated Belle Epoque design with spectacular modern touches, so you can see the trains leave and depart above you.
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 12:12 AM

I have been to the Maeslant Barrier. I do not recall a visitors centre. One can drive along the port road to the barrier, then beyond to the car park at a point and watch the ships going in and out of the port.
I have been to the the exposition at Maasvlakte 2 (Futureland). Being of an engineering background I found it very interesting.
https://www.maasvlakte2.com/en/index...re+FutureLand+
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 07:37 AM

There are many areas of the Delta Works.

I visited several during my 12 day tour of the Netherlands in April of this year.

We drove over several of the 16 mile long dykes (dams).
I particularly found the one near Veere to be very nice.

We walked all over the place on these "storm barriers" both on top and inside.

We had a good tour guide who explained everything very nicely.

I read a lot about the Delta Works and its history of how the Netherlands had to conquer their constant battle with the sea.
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 07:38 AM

Oh yes the one very near Veere is Neeltj Jans.
Old Jul 26th, 2014, 07:05 AM

If you want to focus on the Deltawerken, and the why of them, I suggest you base yourself in Middelburg, or better still, Domburg, and drive up, along the barriers, to Rotterdam (or rather Krimpen a/d IJssel, where the earliest barrier was built, along the barriers, through Zeeland

The Watersnood Museum is definitely worth a visit if you want to know why billions were spent to build these water defenses:

http://www.watersnoodmuseum.nl/UK/

And if you want to take a second day for this, you might want to drive to Noordoostpolder and the Waterloopbos, which is the modelling area where engineers built models of the Zeeland islands and of the proposed defenses.

Additionally, Noordoostpolder is another feat of Dutch hydraulic engineering, and the island of Schokland, now landlocked, is also worth a visit.

http://www.waterloopbos.eu/

http://www.schokland.nl/pageid=23/EN.html