Search

Paris to Venice on a budget

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris to Venice on a budget

Hi all,

I'll be travelling from Paris to Venice this December (from 20th december to 4h January) on a tight budget (some 2100 euros).

Does anyone have a suggested itinerary that would fit into that budget? Would Switzerland or southern Germany/Austria be way too expensive?

Specifically, that money should cover hotel bedrooms for 1 person (no hostels) plus train fare and food. Would I be able to fit all that?

Thanks!
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 02:21 PM
RJD

You need to do some internet research and your own calculations. Frankly I don't think it's possible
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 02:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you are talking 16 days- even IF you could find accommodations for €80 a night, that only leaves about €50 for trains/local buses/meals/drinks/sightseeing/entry charges.

Possible - yes. Easy - not at all.
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 02:59 PM

Assuming you have 14 nights and can deal with budget accommodations, I guess you could do it for about 90 euro per night. That's about 1260 for rooms.

I think the real problem comes in with transportation. If you buy cheap advance tickets, Paris > Venice, no stops, how much will it cost?

And then food. Even without transport, you're talking about 50 euro per day for food, attractions and local transportation.

Doesn't sound likely.

What's wrong with hostels?
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

I figured hostels wouldn't be quite acommodating on winter, am I too off-base?

As to transportation, I was thinking of reducing stops to a minimum, perhaps staying in just a couple os town for one week each. Still unlikely?

So, what would be an alternative way to spend these two weeks on that kind of budget and still get from Paris to Venice?

tuscanlifeedit, 50 euro a day for food and sightseeing is too low, you think?

Thanks again for all the answers!
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 04:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I figured hostels wouldn't be quite acommodating on winter, am I too off-base?<<

Generally (not always but in general) hostels cost the same year round. Plus - you are traveling over the Christmas/New Years holiday so, if anything, places will cost <B>MORE</B> at that time of year, not less. Now you are saying hostels - but your OP said hotels and <u>not</u> hostels.

€50 is not very much -- IF you want to do any sightseeing. All those museums, castles, galleries, even some churches charge admissions fees. If you did mean what you said in the OP - that you want hotels, then you won't have cooking facilities so you'll have to eat out most meals. And being in winter, the weather won't be nice enough to have many picnics.

Are you 'on the ground' from Dec 20 - Jan 4? If so that is either 15 or 16 nights (depending on if you are staying overnight Jan 4. Or is your whole trip is Dec 2- Jan 4? That would only be 14 night in Europe. That would make a bit of a difference for your budget.
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 05:00 PM

Actually, I don't think hostels are any less accommodating in the winter.

I thought 50 euro per day might be low because of the things mentioned above, namely admission fees.

So what if you limited it to two cities? Not bad, and if the budget stretches based on less moving around, you might be able to get a day trip in.

The thing now is to find what hostels or cheap apartments cost, and the fare between Paris and Venice.
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 05:06 PM

Definitely stay OUT of Switzerland - this would be way more expensive than Germany or austria.

I think your budget is too tight even for them - but look at the student backpacking guide books for el cheapo trips.
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 05:54 PM

The easiest way to save money, but not the most attractive if you want to see things on the ground between Paris and Venice, is to fly. If bought now, you can get a non-stop for about $100 each. www.skyscanner.com Inter-city rail prices in Italy are not too stiff so you could commute from Venice to another northern Italian city and fly home from there.
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 07:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with nyt. Switzerland is too expensive. Head to Germany/Austria for cheaper digs. I don't know if this site is still active, but it still lists a lot of budget places in Germany (cities and countryside).

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/

In Italy, including Venice, convents/monasteries are a cheap option. They usually have a 2 night minimum (something to do with the licensing of them). Convents sometimes have a curfew, but not always. Rooms can be private ensuite, shared bath down the hall or shared rooms. One of the hostels in Venice has private rooms, but sometimes convents will be cheaper.

http://www.ostellosantafosca.it/oste...Home_Page.html

I have a list of the convents somewhere if you want them.

Take a look at Timeout and Reids Guides for budget places to stay. Lonely Planet website has more budget travelers (a lot of backpackers) so check them out and their Thorn Tree forum.