Verona and Venice with pre-teen children

Old Jul 7th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verona and Venice with pre-teen children

Hello, we are spending three days in each of Verona and Venice in July and are interested in some must-see's or must-do's, as well as restaurant recommendations. For Verona we already have a show at the amphitheatre. For Venice, we would love some advice on a canal ride (side canals). Generally we like do the more authentic things and stay away from too many tourist traps.... But that said, we appreciate that the incredible sites will have tourists, and it is unavoidable. We'd like to pick a few things to do or see and spend the rest of the time walking around and soaking it up.

I have learned so much from this site already and any advice would be much appreciated!!
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 12:13 PM

For me, Verona does not merit nearly as much time as Venice, but if you mean this July, then you must already have hotels, etc.

If not, take a day from Verona and add it to Venice. Take the kids out to Burano. Many people think the Lido is not as great as other beaches, but if your hotel does not have a pool, go to Burano in the morning and the beach on the way back in the afternoon.

My kids just loved walking around Venice and especially the gondola ride. If they have not seen any before, they would probably love a glass blowing show.

If your three days are set in Verona, on the way from Verona to Venice, stop for a few hours in Vicenza and at least see the Teatro Olympico - fantastic.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 12:52 PM

Maybe on one of three days in Verona you could hop the train or drive to nearby Lake Garda, one of the most gorgeous lakes in Europe - especially its fjord-like northern tip - buy a boat pass and skirt around to several lakeside towns and gems as I did - kids will love the boat rides more than anything else.

Sirmione, on the lake's southern trip, is a primo Roman archaeological site and modern Sirmione is one of Italy's most popular tourist towns.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 06:09 PM

How old are the kids and what are their intersts.

As for "canal ride" in Venice - a gondola trip is very expensive. I would just get tickets for the vaporetto (bus boat) and head down the grand canal. Kids of most any age will love to see all of the life on the canals - boats delivering flowers or produce or furniture, fire boats, police boats, ambulance boats - everything on the water - as well as the view of the glorious palazzos.

Many of the smaller canals are "romantic" - which kids won;t want - but can also be dark, dreary and even stinky (some of the very small side canals).
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. The children are 7, 10, 11, 12. I was thinking of doing St Girorbio Maggiore and going to the top of the bell tower.

Also spending half a day in Cannarefio.

Then the usual St Mark's, Rualto....

Is Santa Maria Della Salute worth going to??

I need restaurants!!! L'Anice Stellato is full on the nights we are there. Our children are adventurous and we don't want a touristy restaurant.

Venice is the last stop on a month-long trip so I want it to be special and not too taxing (they will be exhausted by then!)

Thank you!!!
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Oops lots of typos!

Cannaregio is on my list, as is St Mark's, Rialto, bell tower at St Giorgio Maggiore.

I would love some tips on where to start a gondola ride (not just Grande Canal, but also the smaller side canals) and whether 8 passengers would fit???
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 06:28 AM

You could book a table on the pontoon at the Terrazza del Casin dei Nobile on the Zattere overlooking Giudecca.

http://terrazzavenezia.com/

The view is spectacular, the food is interesting Venetian cuisine, and the prices are not expensive.

And dessert can be a gianduia gelato just a short stroll down the Zattere at Nico's.