Search

7 days in nicaragua, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2014, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 days in nicaragua, HELP!

Hello Everyone,
My brother and I- 30ish active outdoorsy people are traveling to Nicaragua for 7 days, Friday to Friday, and need help with the itinerary. I've been reading a lot of information of these and other boards, and I just keep finding more and more things to do and I'm not sure how to fit them all in. We fly into Managua and get there around noon on Friday, and leave the following Friday early in the AM. Forgive my ignorance here, but my research had led to me to some conclusions. Sounds like things not to miss are the Corn Islands, Granada, and the volcanos. Other things I've read that would be fun: beach, fishing trip (where you get to eat what you catch), kayaking (the pearl islands?), zip line, snorkel. Although the historic sites are interesting, we prefer the outdoorsy active things, with a good dose of beach. I read some of these that said that San Juan del Sur is great, other people said skip it.

How long should we stay in Managua before branching out? Any suggestions on how long and what order to go to different places (considering ease of travel (flights, boats, driving) etc)? Some sights better with a tour v going it alone? I'll take any and all advice!

Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 07:10 AM
RAC

General consensus seems to be to not even set foot in Managua--land at the airport and head south to Masaya or Granada. We spent three full days in Granada and were able to do quite a bit of outdoorsy stuff--boat tour of Las Isletas, bird watching at Montibelli private reserve, Masaya and Mombacho volcanoes. I just posted a trip report in the past couple of days.

I don't think you'll have time for Corn Islands and the Pacific, though. Good rule for trip planning is to assume you'll be back.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

OK thanks, that's very helpful. I was getting overwhelmed with all the options and trying to pack in as much as possible. I did read your trip report, it was very helpful too. Thank you!
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 02:19 PM

With a solid week I would say don't divide your time between the Pacific and Caribbean, rather, stay on one side or the other.

My suggestion is to pick the Caribbean side.

You can easily pass a week snorkeling, beaching, fishing (and eating what you catch right on the beach) with the friendliest locals in the country, the English-speaking creole people.

Plus, this time of year the prices have dropped to lure more visitors and you will have beaches all to yourself. On the pacific side you will find tourists everywhere you go (San Juan, Granada, even Managua).

Check out rightsideguide.com for more info about the Caribbean side. Have a good trip!