Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taxis in munich from trains station to accommodation

Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling into munich from Paris by train, and was wondering what the taxi service is like in munich?
Once we arrive in munich, we will need to get to our accomodation from the station, there are five of us, what's the best option? Will taxi be o.k?
Or are there shuttle buses that will take us to our hotel? ; )

Thanks guys!
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 09:33 PM

The taxi service is top notch but so are the trains (plus train will be cheaper and there is a Ubahn station at the airport).

Where is your hotel located?
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 09:34 PM

Scratch what I just said. I misread you were flying in.

The taxi service at the Munich Hauptbahnhof is good. Taking public transit will be cheaper but I can understand your not wanting to do that if you have a lot of luggage.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Ok great, I just thought it might be easier when we arrive in munich just to catch a taxi to our accommodation. We are looking at staying at the hotel prinzregent am friedensengel or brunnenhof city center.

Any other recommendations? We have three adults and two children. ; )
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 10:09 PM

From the Hauptbahnhof, it's 20 min by streetcar (and a small bit of walking) to get to the Prinzregent, but only an 8 min walk to the Brunnenhof.

I think a taxi driver would not be happy with you if he only drove 3-4 min with a fare.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Ok so the brunnenhof it should be then, especially if we can walk! ; )
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 01:09 PM

Just a few comments-
The Brunnenhof might not be what you expect. I don't believe it has AC or an elevator. In the summer it sometimes gets pretty warm in Munich. Also, the area is a little "seedy" for 2 children. Have you read any reviews of this hotel? If you have a lot of luggage, walking the 5-6 blocks from the Bahnhof might not be too easy.
As for a taxi from the Bahnhof, you may have trouble finding one van in the taxi ranks that can handle 5 people plus their luggage. You may need two vehicles. I once used a taxi for only 5 blocks because I was coming off a long flight and had an excess of luggage. After a short discussion, I convinced the driver it was worthwhile by giving him a tip that exceeded the normal fare.
Have a good trip!!!

Old Jan 26th, 2014, 02:06 AM

The Brunnenhof is located past the tiny (not really) red light district which is S of central station.
Actually it's already in the block of the downtown university hospital campus, so you need not to worry about the immediate neighborhood. It is more boring than exciting. Plus you get immediate medical attention in case of a beer or sausage overdose - just kidding.

Legally, taxi drivers must not decline any ride within the city limits, regardless how short or long the ride is. Every cabby knows that he/she will face severe penalities if they decline a ride, but I can also understand that no tourist has an interest in engaging into such a discussion after a long flight or train trip. If I wanted to get to the Brunnenhof and luggage was not too hard to handle, I'd walk, though.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Would anyone have any suggestions of where to stay in munich, either hotel or apartment for a family of five? Somewhere with one room.

Any recommendations would be appreciated ; )
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 12:07 AM

How many days?
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 12:08 AM

In Germany, a one room apartment is just that: one room. Not a living room and a bedroom, but a combined living room and bedroom. The kitchen may be its own tiny room or it may be part of the one big room.

You also need to provide some dates.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 12:11 PM

Here is a short list- I cannot vouch for any of these.

airbnb.com (highly recommended)
VRBO.com
Rent4days.com
www.checkin-muenchen.de

http://www.munich-appartments.com/
(These are another poster's comments) In May 2011, a party of 5 adults stayed in the apartment called D'Alex New York. There were 2 bedrooms with doors and one person slept on the sofa in the living room. The apartment was very clean, in a nice neighborhood, a 5 minute walk to the U-bahn station, and there was a very good restaurant literally right across the street. The apartment was well-equipped, including a laundry machine, and ran us (including the cleaning fee) jut over 100 Euro a night. I found the company owner, Alex, to be very easy to deal with and quite prompt to reply to inquiries.
We appreciated being in a residential neighborhood without a lot of tourist commotion, but it may not be what you are looking for. I didn't have an opportunity to look at any of the owner's other properties. Once you're on the main page of his website, if you scroll to the bottom & click the Apartments link, it will show you all the choices.

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, 2 adults , 1 teenager, and 2 children, even hotel recommendations would be great, I have researched and only found a few, but I will try those sites travelforbeer. Thanks for your help ; )
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

And for 5 nights ; )
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Looking at June/ July 2015. I've had to research early, as I know summertime in Europe is quiet busy, and bookings go very quickly from here in Australia. Better to know some knowledge then travel blind folded, especially with kids! ; )
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 08:00 PM

I may be wrong, but it is probably too early to book summer of 2015- put in some earlier dates to get a feel then start looking in earnest in about 9 to 12 months.

Old Jan 28th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Great! Will do, thanks for the help : )
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 02:12 PM

This may or may not be the quality you are looking for but the Uhland Hotel (I think it's 3*s) has some rooms for families. You might want to check them out. They are next to the Oktoberfest grounds and about at 10 minute walk from the train station. With kids I would join you in thinking about getting a taxi to save the hassle. There is a taxi stand right in front of the Hauptbahnhof.