Best Beach Resort For Snorkeling Mexicos West Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We only have a few days for vacation in December. We want to go to Mexico's west coast as it is cheapest & closest to where we live (don't want to waste time on flying & can't afford the expense). I have read that there are no resorts to stay at that have beaches with decent snorkeling near Cabo because the waters are way to rough. Can anybody give me any insight? Please don't tell me to go to the Caribbean side because it's better (stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace in June & it was FAB but can't afford another costly vacation. It's either cheap or stay home). I just want info on a (preferably all inclusive) resort with snorkeling right out our back door. Also, if there are some areas that are better to not get harassed by timeshare offers & other vendors, that would be great. Thanks so much!!!!
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 03:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think there is good snorkeling right off the beach much of anywhere on the Pacific side coast of Mexico. For sure not in Cabo San Lucas or Puerto Vallarta (the two I am personally most familiar with).

How about La Paz, on the Baja, over the Sea of Cortez side?
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
True, many of the beaches are un swimmable. The main snorkeling areas: Cabo Pulmo is far from any resorts. But Chileano and Santa Maria beaches are handy to many resorts along The Corridor in Cabo. Be aware that Cabo does not have the warmer water as in the Carribean or Hawaii.
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 05:10 PM

Go to puerto Morelos in riviera Maya
Great snorkeling
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 08:19 AM

Huatulco is on the Pacific side, south of Acapulco, and the snorkeling was awesome! The coral wasn't spectacular, but there were large schools of varied and colorful fish. You can get tours that take you from beach to beach, put your toes in the sand at a little beach place, eat fresh fish and have a tasty, cold beverage. If you can't get direct flight from where you are, you can try flying through mexico city and changing planes there. The mountains are a backdrop, and there are large boulders that add interest to the beaches. We stayed in a villa with a private chef (villa pacific), which turned out to be a fantastic value, but we felt totally spoiled. Then a $5 cab to get into the nice little town. Safe and clean here.
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 09:22 PM

I stayed at the Barcelo Puerto Vallarta (a few miles south of the city in Mismaloya) a few years ago in January, and the snorkeling there was very good on the days when the water was calm. However, through the course of the week, it went from being a pool on the first day to unswimmable over the next few days.