Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time outside of the United States.....Where to go?

Search

First time outside of the United States.....Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2013, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the same sdtravels. It's a shame that when she came to fodors seeking advice mostly what she received was criticism.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 07:46 PM

I am sorry that moonbaby views her country in such a bad way. I also think that her views are based on her family. I am sure that people all over the world are trying to reduce energy consumption.It depends on the person. Japan has the cutting edge tech in clean air.I used to build catalytic converters for Cataler (as in Cataler Japan) in the USA. Our motto... Worlds Catalyst for a Greener Tomorrow.That was in 2001.I am also sure this person has never been to California.But then again New Jersey is the Garden State.Lots of fresh markets. I could go on ,but that may be construed as chest pumping.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 08:08 AM

Maybe OP was "dissing" her husband's attitudes? I don't think she's coming back.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 09:09 AM

I hear exactly what you are saying - we were a couple just like you guys. Our first trip overseas together I chose England. We flew directg into London, spent a few days orientating ourselves to the culture, visiting the British Museum,going to the Imperial War Museum, seeing a London show, travelling on the underground and vising pubs for meals and walking around, we also took the Hop-on-hop-off bus that goes around London and takes you to all the major sites, you can spend as much or as little time seeing what you want - all in all great exposure. Cheap accommodation can be found in London and you are always close to either a bus stop or an underground station all of which will get you to a train station where you can take small journeys or 1-2-3 days out of town to smaller villages or some of the other "tourist" sites. Travelling by train is a wonderful experience in itself - no need for 1st class as the view from the window is the same. Getting out of London gives you the experience of the actual countryside. A quick trip from London down to Portsmouth and you're in a different world, same goes for a train trip down to Dover or any of the south coast communities. My husband is 6'3" and never felt crowded or overwhelmed. He found the people very friendly and loves pub food. Depending on the time of year you travel - some places in the spring and fall will be less crowded than the middle of summer. I would say London is the best place or hub for a 1st time Europe traveller. You can also catch the Euro-train right into Paris for a short trip.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 09:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"Cheap accommodation can be found in London..."

For instance?
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 09:53 AM

<i>For instance?</i>

Travelodge London Central Aldgate East is around 45GBP per night. It's not the Ritz but it's also not a hostel or roach motel.

Also, I have a hookup on a normally 200GBP per night hotel for 70GBP.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 11:19 AM

Moonbaby needs a new husband ...
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 12:21 PM

You can't beat either Norway or Switzerland for beauty, culture, valued family ties, and concern for ecology. Have you ever thought of hiking? You experience a place in a whole different way when you walk its country trails, stay at little B&Bs. and make friends with the locals.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 01:15 PM

Tuscany with all it's lovely hill towns and Florence, Sienna, etc would be a good choice
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 01:17 PM

Oh I forgot
Danube river trip is fantastic.!
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:27 PM

Moonbaby is gone.

"The topic or member you're looking for is no longer available on Fodors.com."
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Sandyh, I know how she feels. I had to cut & run my first time around too. Too bad but I think it happens a lot or people just read and never post. It seems some feel it's a private club and it's their duty to run the interlopers off. Even some highly valued posters cannot resist talking down to what they apparently feel is the competition rather than the forums as conversation. You know who you are. Badly brought up as my grandmother would say.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 03:01 PM

Certainly sounds like the OP was a little bit upset when she posted her semi-rant about corporate America, but I can understand it gets very frustrating when some people around you [aka people around me] say things like,

"Why go anywhere? What's there in Europe that you can't find here?"

and perhaps the best one

"We live in the US, which is the best country in the world. We live in California, which is the best state in the US. And we live in Los Angeles, which is the best city in California."

I'm quoting verbatim. No hyperbole involved whatsoever. In some people's mind whatever they have here is perfect (which it very well might be), and there is no reason to go see the world as a result.

There will be people who live to work everywhere, and there will be recycling bins everywhere. But, I must say that when I went to Spain, I certainly feel a more relaxed pace than in the US, even in a big city like Barcelona (only Madrid remotely reminded me of the busy life in LA). Yes, I've been to places in the US where people enjoy good food, live life in a more relaxing pace, and value art and culture (San Diego ), but I was still shocked when I went to Spain because it was just so... different (in a pleasant way). I think if you just pick a country in Europe and go for 2 weeks without setting in any expectation, beside the fact that it will be beautiful anywhere you go, you'll have a great time. Heck I barely knew who Gaudí was, and Barcelona was my favorite Spanish city
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 08:44 PM

I've traveled 38 states and 9 countries (10 if you count Texas), but IRELAND, the Emerald Isle, green in more ways that you can count, best fits your bill and is the one to be savored. You can't find a bad meal or unfriendly host. Rest stops on the main motorways even cook fresh meals. Dublin is among the top cities of the world and Guinness really is better there. The south and west are gorgeous - Ring of Kerry, Dingle peninsula, the Cliffs, Burrens, and Aran Islands. Travel all of it and you'll find landscapes you thought you only knew from fairy tales. The closest they come to anything monolithic is Newgrange, a world heritage site that predates Stonehenge. With two weeks you could really take most all of it in, or even add a short excursion to the Second best place meeting your criteria, which would be Scotland.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 08:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's too bad moonbaby got mad and left. but if she had just asked her quesion(s) without all the editorializing (europe's great US sucks), I predict this thread might have gone down differently.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 09:02 AM

The weird part is that she says she has been to Europe before. Combine that with knowledge of her husbands likes and dislikes she should have been able to say "hey Mr. Moonbaby, let's go to England because you blah, blah, blah".
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 09:09 AM

Right, sparkchaser, which is why I never believed this was a serious request for help in the first place.

~Liz
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 09:42 AM

Moonbaby,
For the countryside I recommend a Tuscan farmhouse. There are many and you can travel to the many little nearby towns and bigger cities, ie. Florence and Sienna for day trips or overnights. We loved Spain, but I'm not sure it fits your criteria. Nafplio in Greece is also a delightful little town with tons of historical day trips available to you. As for bigger cities, I find Amsterdam and Paris to be wonderful. The Netherlands in general is also an area you may find interesting. Small towns abound. Once we centered in Leiden for 2 weeks and took trains to many small quaint towns (plus 4 days in delightful Amsterdam). It really depends on what you are looking for. We are drawn to the history of Europe and that certainly includes the art museums that abound. As for eating, we have had picnics in a park in Paris, fine dining atop a restaurant overlooking the Acropolis in Athens as well as one overlooking the Alhambra in Granada, and then eaten from food trucks all over. I must admit the later are not my favorites as I prefer to sit down after being on my feet sightseeing in a city, but they are there and provide tasty food. Enjoy planning and especially your time in Europe.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 05:05 PM

Our first trip to Europe was some 30 years ago and we did a London-Paris-London itinerary. London to get used to Europe while still understanding the language, Paris to see how important some command of a foreign language is, and London again to enjoy understanding English! I admit that I was most reluctant to take the trip, but my wife convinced me to go and boy, did I like it.

We have been back to Europe (and other parts of the world) a couple of dozen times since, and are planning 3 trips for 2014: Amsterdam/Rome in the spring, Israel in the summer and France in the fall.

My humble opinion is that travel is underrated; we love it and can't wait until our spring trip!
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 01:32 AM

Regardless of such a long-lasting discussion about Italy, Paris attractions and whatsoever, I'd recommended to several countries (of course if you have two weeks) Euro trip is a the best oprtion to fall in love with cooking exquisites of every country. There is no way of missing the ebauty of Paris Eifel Tower, or Amsterdam coffeeshops, or Barcelona stunning view. Tere are plenty of sites one can see if it is the first time in Europe. Just plan it the way it won't be overwhelmed with impressions and at the same time quite exciting.

Speaking of my personal choice, it would be Madrid. It is from here one can route elsewhere in Spain and explore the most outstanding travel attractions. The list is here - http://www.madrid.net/top-day-trips.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -