Search

Lake Como

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Como

Hi everyone, my girlfriend and I are planning on spending a few nights at lake como next week. We do not want to rent a car and just want to stay somewhere where we can relax and go for scenic walks. Does anyone have any suggestions of where around lake como is a good spot for that? I don't want to wind up somewhere where we need to travel to get to the "good walks". Also, since we won't have a car we need to be able to get to where we're going by public transport. Any advice would be much appreciated!! Cheers, James
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 12:42 PM

Hi James,

My husband and I stayed in Bellagio and took the ferry to visit around. But there are good walks from the ferry side to the back side of the town where we stayed (Pergola--has a restaurant). Also in Bellagio is Melzi Gardens (they were closed when we were there.)

http://www.giardinidivillamelzi.it/

Varrenna is also wonderful and I believe a place for hiking. Train station there, FYI. We took ferry to either Tremezzo or Mennagio (can't recall which) to visit the lovely Villa Carlotta. We saw some gorgeous hotels on that side.

If you google those places, you should get an idea of the scenery. Other Fodorites will certainly give good advice about hiking/walking. I always wanted to visit the city of Como--fabric history and also on the lake so you could travel by boat around.

Also do a search above for Lake Como and you'll find some good stuff! Have a great time and please report about your trip.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are possibilities for hiking from many towns on the lake, so as you're late for booking lodging (esp. if you'll be there over a weekend) I would focus on that first. You definitely want to be in/near a town with a ferry stop.

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/c_illago.html

And where will you be coming from? Getting to some towns would require more time and effort than a stay of only a couple of nights would be worth.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 04:07 AM

You don't say from where you are coming from but if it is Milan, you have a rail link to Varenna from Milano Centrale.
Using Varenna as a base, you have two principal walking routes - Sentiero del Viandante and the Lake Como Greenway.
The first walk passes close to Varenna, giving you the option of a one-way walk to Bellano with either a return by train or ferry. A shorter circular walk takes you up to Vezio Castle and on to Fiumelatte, then back by footpath along the main road.
While the Sentiero is an old mule track, the Greenway walk is less strenuous, running along the far shore of the lake. We took the ferry from Varenna to Sala Comancina and walked as far as Villa Carlotta, taking the ferry back from there. The walk is well marked with both signposts and circular plaques embedded in the footpath.
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - yes we're coming from Milan
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 12:06 PM

When we went there by train, we had to change in Como city, then took the train marked Varenna-Esino. It was unmanned when we were there so I heartily recommend that you get your return tickets when you go. There was a travel agency on the right as you walk into Varenna that sold tickets but it was closed on holidays so beware!

There is a bus from Como city to Bellagio but we never looked into it.

Can other Fodorites help from Milan to the western part of the lake? There was a commuter run at one time but it has been too many years for me to give any facts now.

Again, James, have a great time!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Can other Fodorites help from Milan to the western part of the lake? There was a commuter run at one time but it has been too many years for me to give any facts now>

Well there once was a bus direct from Malpensa Airport but I think it's been scrapped - I took it several years ago - but you can reach Como Nord train station, smack by the boat dock from Malpensa airport by taking the Nord de Milano train and changing once end up at the terminus station at Como Nord - very cheap and takes about an hour. I've done that route as well.

Do not take the airport train into Milan Centrale because then you take mainline trains to Como S Giovanni (name?) - its mainline station but at least one mile from the boat dock -
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 01:19 PM

<Do not take the airport train into Milan Centrale because then you take mainline trains to Como S Giovanni (name?) - its mainline station but at least one mile from the boat dock ->

True for going western but not for going to Varenna-Esina. Right?
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get to the Como Nord Lago train station from Milano Centrale with one connection. Bovisa, I believe. Just search on Trenitalia.

For Varenna-Esino, you must start from Milano Centrale. Some options involve a connection at Lecco.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

To go from Como Lago to Varenna-Esino by train involves either returning to Milan or making a couple of connections. The whole thing would take a couple of hours which is probably what the ferry would take, but the ferry would be a more pleasant ride.

http://www.trenord.it/IT/servizi/motore-orario.aspx

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/c_orari.asp