Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London, Paris and Rome- 15 days

Search

London, Paris and Rome- 15 days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<<the Musee D'Orsay sounds like an amazing place, I am going to check into that. should I do that instead of the Lourve?>>

I would try to visit both museums, with my first choice being the Musee D'Orsay.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 10:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Rachie - here's another vote for the musee D'orsay. you can get a combined ticket with the Orangerie which gets you into see Monet's lillies which might also interest you.

the louvre is very big and it's quite possible to get lost. [we did!]
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 03:27 PM

Hi...Glad you started a new post...the old one was getting ridiculous. I think you made the right decision narrowing your trip down to London-Paris-Rome. Here are some thoughts on London.

If you're into history I suggest:

The Tower - the can't miss historical sight in London

British Library - We've been to London 4 times (from US) and always go to it. It's hard to convince most folks that this is cool, since it sounds like just a library, but the "museum" part of it has some of the most amazing things...go to their website for a taste:
http://www.bl.uk/whatson/permgall/treasures/index.html

For art, everyone goes to the National Gallery. It's great and it's free. However, I don't care for the Tate Modern...too much blank wall space and not enough good art [no flaming, please, just an opinion]...but the Courtauld Gallery is a hidden gem...including a truly great collection of early 20th c. art - fauves, blue rider expressionists, etc.
http://www.courtauld.ac.uk/gallery/ Caveat-this might not be an appropriate stop for most first-timers in London, given the many other well-known, top-line places, but you said you were into art, so I thought I'd mention it.

I second the motion on the Churchill War Rooms, and you really should not miss Westminster Abbey.

The London History Museum is another place we love to go:
http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/london-wall/

If you're going solo, the 2-for-1 coupons that are available won't be of much help, but if that changes, don't miss them:
http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

That's all for now...Paris is my favorite city, and I'll post some ideas in a day or so on that and on Rome.

SS
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 03:29 PM

One more thing...I may be wrong, but I'm not sure Buckingham Palace is open to the public in March...isn't it only open when the family is away in the summer?

Someone from London can check me on that.

SS
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 05:09 PM

I visited the interior of Buckingham Palace late last September and was under the impression that its only open in August and September when the family is away. I LOVED it.

Ann Marie
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 05:26 PM

Yes to D'Orsay, Ste Chapelle and LOrangerie! The climb to the top of Notre Dame towers will work off a croissant and reward you with great views of the city and those gargoyles.

Rome- i have to say that we didn't love Ostia Antica but the trip was so full of great sites, it's hard to top our list. A short train ride from Rome is Tivoli and Villa dEste...gorgeous fountains! Hadrian's Villa is also there (Tivoli) and worth a visit. The Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel is a must...we went with a small group tour through Context and were very happy with it . You might enjoy the Scavi tour that you book through the Vatican that takes you through the necropolis and gives history and perspective on how today's Vatican started out and ended up in its current state.

It's been too long since I have been to London to suggest anything.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 10:02 PM

Buckingham palace is only open a few months in the summer, not in march. This year it is open till the end of sept http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/vi...lan-your-visit
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 01:28 AM

Hi...about Paris...

Ditto to the usual places mentioned. For history buffs, the Carnavalet Museum (in the Marais) is great...it's the City Museum...another place we've visited all our times (4) in Paris.

http://www.carnavalet.paris.fr/en/museum-carnavalet

Seine Cruise is always nice...we use Vedettes du Pont Neuf. Unless this has changed, they're the only cruise company that lets you buy a discounted ticket online that does not require you to specify your date and time in advance...very important in March weather...just present your printed voucher at the ticket booth to get the "real" ticket before you board.

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/home/

My favorite thing to tell people going to Paris: You can never get lost. If you think you can't find your way back to your hotel, just hop on the first bus you see. Keep looking out the window, within a few blocks you'll see a metro sign. Get off there, from where it's easy to get back to your home Metro stop.

Also, Look into a Navigo Card (electronic swiping card) with a one-week pass (zone 1-2) loaded onto it...unlimited metro & bus for "THE week" -- Mon-Sun -- i.e., not "A week" -- so this only makes sense if you going to be in Paris for about 4 days of a calendar week. If not, use carnets of ten tickets.

[NOTE: I forgot to mention that a 7-day (zone 1-2) pass in London is good to have, too, and it is for a real 7-day stretch starting on any day of the week. I guess you realize that my wife and I love to use public transit in European cities.]

SS
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 05:05 AM

For Rome, I recommend the Galleria Borghese, for which you must make a reservation. The palazzo, itself, is a work of art and it contains many outstanding paintings and sculptures: http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm Make sure you locate the Galleria Borghese and not just the entrance to the Villa Borghese, the name of the huge park that contains the Galleria Borghese. Besides the collection, it's a very pleasant place to visit because they limit the number of visitors and you have a specified time for your two-hour visit. From there, you can walk through the park to the Piazza del Popolo and visit a special church that doesn't look very special from the outside, especially when compared to the twin churches across the piazza. It's the Santa Maria del Popolo: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/i...ria-del-popolo Note that it's closed for several hours starting about 12:30 and doesn't reopen until about 4:30 pm. From there, it's a short walk to the Spanish Steps and the handsome little boat fountain near its base, done by Bernini and his father. (I recommend walking on Via Margutta between Piazza del Popolo and the Piazza di Spagna (at the base of the Spanish Steps.

Another favorite in Rome is the Capitoline Museums: http://en.museicapitolini.org/ The collection of paintings and sculptures is outstanding here, too. In addition, there is the famous piazza and steps designed by Michelangelo, the terrace area where you can look directly onto the Forum and a great walk to the Colosseum.

For all three cities, I recommend the Streetwise city maps. They are plasticized with an accordion fold so they are only 4" x 8" inch. They have a street index and scale drawings of the major attractions. You can find them in most bookstores and online.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 05:32 AM

Yup...the Streetwise maps are, indeed, very good...but don't forget to load some maps onto your smartphone (if you have one), too.

SS
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 06:51 AM

First off I am one who loves the Louvre and would never suggest skipping it , but then me recognizing the works from reproductions is hardly a selling point as it seems to be for some people. Also , frankly you won't have time to go out to Versailles so seeing inside Louvre will give you a taste of what inside a palace looks like, be sure to visit Napoleons apartments in Louvre..

Secondly , I also second another posters suggestion of the Carnavalet it is a museum that shows the hsitory of Paris and is free and has no crowds or line ups( guess everyone is looking at the original of their reproductions at the Orsay!) ... .( ps I do like Orsay but you can compare the two big museums in Paris.. they cover different time periods .

In London I go back to the Victoria and Albert Museum again and again, its amazing, as is the Tower .. I personally would skip Big Ben,,you will see it as you are out and about anyways.

In Rome the Vatican, Colisuem and ST Peters are so worth the crowds.. they just are , amazing history .

PAck rain gear and gloves,, I had snow and sleet in London in March the year I went, and if you can , time viist to be in london on March 17th for St Patrick Day, the pubs can be fun !

Old Aug 16th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Quick question....
with traveling to these 3 cities with 3-4 full days in each place, will $2,000-$3,000 work for the whole time? this does NOT include my hotel and air fare

Thanks!
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 06:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes. I spend considerably less than that and I don't suffer, by any means. I put most things on my credit card and just pay it when I get home.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 08:56 PM

12 days with a total of $2000= $166 or ~€124 or ~£106 per day. I don't spend anywhere near that much on a daily basis in food and entry fees and activity costs. You'll be in great shape with the budget.
Ann Marie
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

thats great to hear! I was hoping to keep my budget down from that, but wanted to make sure that I had enough. I would like to keep it in the $1,000-$1,500 range if possible.

thank you for your help! I'm having so much fun planning and looking up things to do!