Three Countries, 21 days and 4 kids???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip for next year (summer 2014) for my husband, myself and 4 kids (ages next year 11 yrs, 11 yrs, 9 years and 8years) to Europe. We would like to go for 3 weeks and I've planned a detailed itinerary which includes 4 1/2 days in London, 4 1/2 days in Paris, and 12 days traveling through Italy. On paper it seems like it would be a wonderful trip, but I know traveling with kids, sometimes things are more than what you've planned for. We've not traveled to Europe as a family...just myself and the two older kids have been to Paris a couple years ago to visit friends.

We plan on traveling by EuroStar, plane from Paris to Naples and train through Italy.

Do you think it would be better to shorten the trip to only 2 weeks and only do London and Paris? Then do Italy another time? OR do you think that we would be fine doing the whole 3 weeks?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:17 PM

I'm no expert on traveling with kids, but it sounds like too much to me. But one thing I was wondering, have you ever traveled anywhere together as a family for 3 weeks, on a trip that involved moving around a lot? Have you even been anywhere together 3 weeks on a vacation? I now 3 weeks in a cabin on the lake isn't the same thing, but you don't mention your experience traveling together at all, and that could make a difference. I mean if you had done something in other continents, just not Europe, for long times, that could matter.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your 4.5 days in London is probably more like 3.5 days since some or all of you are bound to suffer some (or a LOT) of jet lag on arrival.

If it was me -- I'd stay a week in London (rent an apartment), a week in Paris (another apartment), and the other week in one or two cities in Italy . . . OR . . . Italy and <i>either</i> Paris or London . . . OR . . . Just Italy
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:29 PM

Just from my experience taking nephews (10 and 12 and the next two were 11 and 14). We did two weeks--first pair London and English/Welsh countryside; second pair Scottish countryside). On the next to last day, I asked the boys if we were given another week, how would they like it? All four said that they had had a great time, but they were ready for their own beds, food, pets,and routines and were missing the two brothers who were at home.

So to answer your question I think a week each in London and Paris would be fine. However, your kids will all be together and with you their parent, so it might be different.
There is so much to see and do in both those cities, and you could do a day trip into the countryside. A week in each city would also mean you could rent an apartment instead of staying in a hotel--find one with laundry facilities, you could fix an occasional meal "in" with perhaps some familiar food mixed in, more room to spread out.

But this is very subjective. You know your own kids and what their take might be.

Whatever you decide, involve the kids in the planning. Let them look at some guidebooks and choose some things they would like to see or do.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:35 PM

Our first trip to Europe with the kids was when they were 9 & 11. It is a fantastic age to take them!

We, too, spent 3 weeks, started in Paris for 4.5 days, then traveled throughout Italy for the remainder of the time. We went to Venice for a few days, then spent a week in an apartment in Lucca, then Sorrento and Rome. We took the train from Paris to Venice, then rented a car when we left Venice and turned it in when we hit Rome.

The biggest lesson we learned is to not move too much and to spend more time in each place. We really regret the short time we had in every place but Lucca.

So my advice is to either cut it to 2 weeks and just do London and Paris (and do a day trip or two from each city) OR keep the three weeks, but either spend one week in three places, or at least limit how many places you visit. Not only do London and Paris have so many things to see on their own, but the moving process gets to be stressful and tiring over three weeks.

We also found that by staying in one place, when the weather or other things do not cooperate (ie someone gets sick), it is easy to just switch some things around, whereas if you only have a few days in one spot, all your wishes become must-dos and you are stuck if there is a glitch.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Indebell,

we learnt from bitter experience that the sorts of holidays that DH and i liked [touring round, moving on every 2-4 days or so] were not so popular with our kids. THey much preferred the sort where we stayed still for a week or so in an apartment or hotel, got to know the area, could come "home" every night and have a swim, etc. etc.

we also found that giving them the opportunity to have some exercise made us all a lot happier.

with 3 weeks in summer, i think that i would try to mix it up between city and country and /or beach. London, Brittany/Dordogne, Paris would work, or Venice, a lake, Florence/Rome, or ...

you know your kids better than I do but i think that 2 cities followed by a "tour" of Italy is unlikely to keep 4 kids happy for the whole trip.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:39 PM

We would like to go for 3 weeks and I've planned a detailed itinerary which includes 4 1/2 days in London, 4 1/2 days in Paris, and 12 days traveling through Italy>

I think that could be sweet, even with kids in tow -I may even suggest shortening down Italy and going via Switzerland and spending a few days in the high Alps - like the wondrous Jungfrua Region around Interlaken - on a main rail route between France and Italy - think kids would love seeing glaciers, riding thrilling aerial gondolas, taking toylike mountain trains, etc as much as anything.

Fly into London, fly out of Rome, of course.

For lots of info on trains I always recommend these IMO fantastic sites - www.seat61.com (great info on discounted tickets that could save you a lot of money if you do not desire flexibility to chose which trains you will take once there - those tickets are sold in limited numbers and typically must be booked months in advance and often are impossible to change but can save you a ton of money - and also check out www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - download the latter's free and superb IMO European Planning & Rail Guide for suggested rail itineraries in various countries, rail maps, etc.
For Eurostar London to Paris trains definitely book early on www.eurostar.com - the official site - walk up tickets can cost hundreds of dollars more for your group than booking in advance - far in advance as possible.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 02:06 PM

Haven ot taken kids that young - started when DDS were 11 and 14 and we did mostly 2 weeks and a couple of 17 days. Mostly two cities per trip - or a city and a 5/6 day car trip with another city at the end. I think more than 5 or 6 days in a car with kids - even tween/young teen is enough for anyone's sanity.

Sometimes less is more.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 02:13 PM

As I travel with my two children I feel 21days is great but really tray to have 5-6days min in each place... The day you arrive and the day you leave are lost days! I had in my head that I would be able to do stuff but you can't so with 5 days its like having 3 full days to see things ... Now with London and Paris I don't think you can have too much time here ... Amazing cities! But the south of France is incredible ... I can't wait to return and the lake como in Italy is also amazing ... I would do a week in London, week in Paris and then decide to do a week either in Sarlat in France or Luca in Italy or even somewhere in lake como ...I could go on and on but I know what this stage is like fr you ... Are the advice from those on here ... They do know what they are talking about! I have had a dream holiday and I ae a lot of these people to thank! Good luck!
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great responses. It's great to get insight from experience travelers. I think I will change up my itinerary to stay a week in 3 places...London, Paris and "somewhere else"..love the Switzerland suggestion. Never even considered it but that is exactly what my kids would love. Also crazyfamilyof4 had great ones too. Back to the research!!

So much to see...not enough time!!!
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 11:43 PM

Unless you have time to take a vacation from your vacation, my advice is to slow down your pace and just see 2 or 3 cities.

If it were me, my choice would be a week in London because even though it's expensive, there really is a lot to see and do and since there will be no real language barrier, it's a great place to recover from jet lag before heading to Italy for the remainder of your trip and basing at a "centrally" located agroturismo with a swimming pool so you and the kids can enjoy a day or two of downtime from all of the day trips you will be taking in Italy. Paris should wait until everyone is a bit older and can appreciate the sights more.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 01:26 AM

I just wanted to say that if it works out in the end that you want to spend less than a full week somewhere, you can still find apartments that rent for less than a week.

Regarding Italy vs. other places, part of the issue in summer is how well your family tolerates heat. And while it can sound great to go to the countryside and have a pool, the reality for many families is that the kids are bored in the Italian countryside, or that the parents really don't enjoy renting a car. Scenic places with moderate temps and excellent train access -- the Italian Riviera or the Swiss mountains -- sometimes work better for everybody.

However, I do know plenty of kids who love Paris, including Parisian kids. Paris is one of the most kid friendly travel destinations around, with delicious eats, parks, towers to climb, boat rides. If the issue is whether your kids are old enough to "appreciate" the sights of Paris, if they aren't, I doubt they will "appreciate" the sights of London or Italy either.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 01:40 AM

Point taken. My comments were merely a reflection of recent experience with an 11 year old and three weeks in Germany/Austria/Czech Republic.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 04:06 AM

ttt
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 05:00 AM

click on indy_dad who just recently reported on a trip to Switz. with wife and two kids (11 and 14). Great pictures and narrative.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 05:12 AM

Your kids are great ages for a trip to Europe. I travel with 3 kids and we spend no less than a week in each location. Rent houses or apartments for more space, kitchen, washing machine, etc.

We also are spending 3 weeks next summer traveling but it will exclusively be France. One week each in Dordogne, Normandy and Paris. For your interest I think a week each in London, Paris and Rome would work. Or save Italy for another trip and spend a week either in England or France at a country location where you can visit smaller villages, have a house with a pool for some downtime, etc. We have really enjoyed the Cotswolds in England and Brittany in France. So many things for a family to do.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 06:06 AM

all kids are different - many travel well - when I was that age my parents took us all over the U.S. every summer and we loved it - they were teachers with summers off - but other kids may not travel well so it depends on the kids IMO too.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM

However, I do know plenty of kids who love Paris, including Parisian kids. Paris is one of the most kid friendly travel destinations around, with delicious eats, parks, towers to climb, boat rides. If the issue is whether your kids are old enough to "appreciate" the sights of Paris>

I,m with stevewith on this - I took my son to Paris several times when he was 7, 8, 9 , 10 and he always loved it - we camped in Joinville-le-Pont and he just loved walking around - taking the metro, especially the RER doubles as he called them - eating croissants and hot chocolate from sidewalk cafes - did not do many museums but just wandering around was fun - kids that age can certainly enjoy places like Paris or as
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks, irishface. It was one of our favorite trips.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-oberland.cfm