Search

Moving from US to Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving from US to Toronto

Hi everyone!

My husband recently received a job offer in Markham that we are considering taking. We currently live in Indiana, US, we have two kids, eight and six years old. I have been doing some research online since I don't know much about Canada. Can you all suggest to me what would be the best areas to live? We will be renting, preferably a house since we have a big dog, so something with a yard would be great! My husband would like to keep his commute short, tops 40mins to work. What about schools? What are the best options?

Any information will be greatly appreciated! I would like to know as much as possible before we make any decisions.

Thank you
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 02:49 PM

Welcome to Ontario!

If DH's job will be in Markham, then it makes sense to live in Markham.

Why not contact a real estate agent in Markham & see if he/ she can help you narrow down the best neighborhood/best schools, etc. Two reputable real estate companies are Royal LePage and ReMax. You can Google fo more info and contact #'s

Hope this helps.

OB1
Old Jul 14th, 2013, 08:47 PM
BAK

Canadian geopolitics:
Toronto is a giant city, with most telephones in teh 416 area code. Toronto is surrounded by three "regions" each with their own 905 area code, and several cities in each region.
Markham is a city with York Region.

So Markham has two governments; The City of Markham and the Regional Municipality of York.

Schools are run by the region, following guidelines and standards set by the province. In my opinion, based on having three kids graduate from Ontario schools, the schools are good.

One of my clients has two kids in Jewish private schools in Markham, at $25,000 each.

As a general rule, think of Markham as pretty new. It was farmland not all that long ago.

So the streets are smooth and the shopping centers are not run down, but the trees have had some time to grow.

Lots of Chinese, fewer Korean and Japanese. We try to plan visits to a client with time that gets us to a Japanese buffet restaurant.

You will not find a lot of fully detached single family houses for rent in Markham; for rentals, row housing in various forms is more common.

There are developments run by developers, where every home is a rental, and there are condominium developments, where investors own some individual units that they rent out as investments.

Again, lots of these investor-landlords are Chinese, many still living in Hong Kong.

Depending where your husband works, you may find it's an easy commute to drive north in the morning from inside the City of Toronto.

You may find Toronto real estate to be expensive; think of San Francisco and Seattle in US terms, rather than Lincoln and Memphis.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 03:55 AM

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013...cs_canada.html

Agree with all the details provided by BAK.Having lived north west of Markham( in Schomberg) and commuted in the past, my vote would be to rent in Aurora or Newmarket and commute south to Markham.Both these areas are less congested and quieter. A real estate agent in either area would help.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 04:13 AM

Well, I'm not going to jump on the suburbs bandwagon.

I think it depends on what kind of area you're used to. If you live in a city now, the move to the suburbs of Toronto might not be your cup of tea. Toronto is a really liveable city. There are lots of lovely in-the-city neighbourhoods with big trees and houses that have backyards and good schools. Of course, they'll be more expensive and smaller than a suburban house but they'll be 'more Toronto' and within walking distance of nice main streets.

I can't speak about your husband's commute though. Will he be driving or taking the commuter train (the GO train)? If you lived in the city, he'd be going opposite to most rush hour traffic so it might not be too bad. The only way I can relate to this is that my dentist is in Pickering, a town just outside of Toronto, and even if my appointment is during rush hour I can get there pretty quickly.

I really think you should consider living in the city.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 08:19 AM

I don't think it is reasonable to expect to pick a place to live before you are there and can see the surroundings. I know I would not live in Markham if you paid me. Not because there is anything particularly wrong with it, I am just not into the cookie cutter suburban home and lifestyle. I shudder at the thought of having to live in a place like that.

I would far rather live in a city neighbourhood if affordable or in an actual small town (not a purpose built suburb).

My advice would be to simply get a real estate agent as suggested already and find a month by month rental to start with. Then you can take some time to look around and find a place that suits you long term.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 06:26 AM

You've received a lot of good info already. As you can see there's lots of choices on which area to live in. If at all possible, you may want to take a pre-move trip and drive through the areas yourself to get an idea of what each would be like.

I've relocated myself a number of times, and in my earlier moves, this type of trip was very worthwhile even if it was for just a weekend. Oftentimes, the company will include this as part of their offer or you can negotiate for it.

Keep in mind if you live and commute "in the opposite direction", traffic can be quite light even during rush hour; a phenomenon I found quite surprising given the population base. Also, you may want to map out the different demographics of each city/area.

Actually I moved to Greater Toronto Area from the USA late last year, and altho I anticipated it, I was still surprised to find our grocery bill a third higher; car insurance 50% more. I find prices in Canada to be significantly higher. You may want to do a cost of living comparison (lots of online resources for that) btwn your hometown and GTA to see if the compensation reflects of the local cost of living so you are not uprooting your family for a "better job" only to find you actually have less for travel, savings, etc.

As for renting first, we found our place just going through Craigslist. Of course, there are some scams but they are readily recognizable. You may find that unless you go to executive level type housing, month-to-month rentals are difficult to find, most places want you to sign a 1 year lease. If you work directly with a landlord (rather than a property mgmt company), you may find that you can negotiate it down to a 6-month lease, like we did.

Congrats on the relocation - enjoy-la!
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 06:53 AM

My Brother owned a condo at Harbourfront in Toronto which he rented out while away for 3 years. He used a property management company klam and they rented it out to people working on 'contracts' or other temporary types of jobs that required housing for a few months to a year or so. In 3 years he had 5 tenants I believe. The advantage for him was that the rent is higher.

For the OP the higher rent would of course be the downside but it does allow you to do that for a few months while you look around and not have to sign a longer term lease.

The advantage to the OP is that if you can rent furnished (my Brother's condo was furnished) you do not have to move all your furniture in and then move it out again when you find you want to move to another area. ie. pay to move twice. You can just pay for a couple of months storage of your goods.

I have lived in various places and found myself, as well as others in the same situation, moving from the first place I rented, every time. I grew up in Toronto and the reality is if someone offered me a job in Markham I would not know where I would choose to live. I'd need to look around for a bit first.

I do think an exploratory weekend is a good idea and also the 'opposite direction' or 'reverse flow' of traffic. I used to live in the east end of the city (Beach) and work to the northwest of the city and found the reverse flow of traffic much easier to deal with.

There are lots of websites to look at for short term rental including http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-real-esta...s-W0QQCatIdZ42 which is much the same as Craigslist.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 07:00 AM

I agree that you really need to plan a visit of maybe 3 days. Even if you don't want to live right in Toronto, you'll want to experience some of the downtown sights and attractions just to see what the region in general has to offer and help with the relocation decision. I know someone who moved to Toronto from your part of the U.S. several years ago and lives down in the city and commutes to the suburbs, and just loves it, safe, clean, lots to do (however divorced and no kids which makes a difference).

As much as the City Centre is vibrant, with kids I can understand preferring a suburban location and an easy commute. I was a Real Estate Agent for a number of years and I would agree with that recommendation, even if you will be renting initially. Phone and ask for the Manager of a ReMax office in Markham and tell him that you would like him/her to recommend his/her best agent for showing you around and giving you good data to help with your decision of where to rent initially, and possibly where to buy eventually.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 07:26 AM

A good website for short/long term rentals is sabbaticalhomes.com.

We rented a flat in London for four months in 2010 and we were very pleased with it and our landlord. One of the benefits of that website is that you can google the owner. Toronto has several universities and there are always profs going on sabbatical and who would like to rent out their homes.

You can check locations with us and we can give you a bit of the feeling of a neighbourhood.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 07:17 AM

40 minutes of comuting by car in downtown Toronto may not even move you 10 miles.Notorius as having the worst traffic in Canada, you seriously have to do a drive during rush hour to gage the daily toll it can take if that is the plan.Options like the Go train help. Toronto City living vs GTA suburbs are completely different.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 05:19 PM

My husband worked in Markham and we lived in Newmarket. It wasn't a bad commute and we loved living in a smaller community.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:49 PM

OP, you still here???
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 11:42 PM

One word: Unionville
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

Thank you for all the replies. I have read them all and am taking it all in! I am very nervous about moving to a different Country but am excited as well. The job my husband is taking will be a minimum of 5yrs, so we might be there longer, who knows we might just fall in love with the area! I am planning on taking a trip there, but I might not be able to. I would to narrow my options down to where my girls will be going to good schools, this is the most important to me. We have a monthly budget of $2,000/monthly, but would like to stay under that. Thank you again for any more info you can all provide
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 07:44 AM

Do you mean your monthly housing budget is $2000? I don't know about Markham or the other outside-the-city locations, but that's not a lot for Toronto. I have friends who live in a nice part of town, in the upstairs flat of a duplex, 4 bedrooms (1 large, 2 medium, 1 very small) and I believe they're paying $2400.

I'll look on sabbatical homes for you (that's always fun for me) to give you some kind of idea of what exists in your price range in decent neighbourhoods.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 09:40 AM

That is very kind of gtg to help you out with your search.

gtg,
$2400 seems really low for a 4 bedroom flat in a good TO neighborhood. That's amazing! I wonder how long your friends have lived there & if that number reflects current market values for such rentals.

$2000 is not very much for a home with a backyard for a family of 4 and a big dog.

julianah,
Are you looking at private schools or public?

It sounds as if it would be difficult for you to come to Toronto for a visit from Indiana but if there is any way that you coould do it that would be the best. Presumably you want to move before the 2013 school year starts in early September. So, you will also need to get your 2 daughters registered in their new school. Or, are you planning on moving at a later date? Has your DH already accepted this new job in Markham? If so, when does he start?

Another thought, please check to ensure that the breed of your big dog is acceptable in Toronto and Toronto area. There was a recent case of some US baseball player or basketball player (can't remember his sport, think it was baseball) who wanted to move his family and large dog to Toronto where he had signed a sport's contract. The breed of their dog was on the prohibited list of dogs in Toronto. His family ended up staying with the dog and not moving to Toronto with him.

All the best,
OB1
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM

I'm pretty sure that's what they're paying, OB. Maybe I'd better check again -- it might have gone up since we last spoke about it.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 10:18 AM

gtg,
I think it is very kind of you to help these people out. A sabbatical home sounds perfect. Wonderful idea. Do you search through U of T where I believe your SO works & you used to work. Are you still @ U of T?

OB1
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 10:23 AM

Here are some examples for you. I've only looked at houses because of the dog/kid aspect. There's only one here at $2000 but it looks ok. I haven't checked the whole website for Toronto homes and these are really just to give you an example of what's out there. I haven't looked at availability or anything like that. Hope this helps.

http://www.sabbaticalhomes.com/Home_...nada_79454.htm
(this is a very nice, family-oriented neighbourhood, good transportation, shops, parks)

http://www.sabbaticalhomes.com/Home_...nada_27336.htm
(looks small, 'beach' is a great neighbourhood but this says 'upper beach' so not that close, probably ok though)

http://www.sabbaticalhomes.com/Home_...nada_72666.htm
(interesting downtown neighbourhood, lots of amenties for kids, shopping)

http://www.sabbaticalhomes.com/Home_...nada_40177.htm
(nice looking house, great family neighbourhood -- my sister lives a block away!)

http://www.sabbaticalhomes.com/Home_...nada_75160.htm
(not downtown but near suburbs, big mall nearby, good transportation, your price)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -