Family friendly New Jersey Beaches

Old May 1st, 2013, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family friendly New Jersey Beaches

I am trying to find a convenient location for a beach vacation that is convenient to both DC , where we live, and New York City, where our kids and grandkids live. Proximity for them is more important, preferably within a 1-2 hour drive. Looking for a location with a good beach, interesting shops and restaurants and rentals that can accommodate 10 people. The children are 4 years and 2 years old. I've never been to the Jersey shore, so I don't know where to start this search. Any help is appreciated.
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:21 AM

My first instinct was to recommend Point Pleasant for its family-friendly vibe, location relative to NY and the boardwalk amusements which the little kids will love....however I have no clue how Point Pleasant fared with Hurricane Sandy.

Hopefully some else can give you good info.
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:35 AM

The beach towns along the northern shore are great for families,but the rental for 10 people may be a problem...do you mean a house or a hotel. If hotel, then I can give you some suggestions. Most houses in the nicer areas rent for the whole summer or at least half.
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:33 AM

With kids that age I would suggest Stone Harbor. The ratio of housing blocks to beach frontage is small, so the beaches are less crowded. There is not a boardwalk, but there is a main street with a tree-lined sidewalks, great for strollers.

Another choice would be Ocean City (NJ) which is bigger, with a big boardwalk, also fun. It is a dry town (no alcohol in restaurants) so I think there is a more ``family style'' vibe than other shore towns. Ocean City had some damage from Sandy but everything suggests the town is rebuilding and plans to be ready for summer.

Both towns have plenty of rental options--its what they do. Just find a realtor for the town on the web and click on their ``summer rentals'' link. Narrow it down to a few choices then speak to a realty agent about details and such.
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was going to suggest Wildwood because it has that huge beach and the amusement piers but of course, there is probably a certain amount of reverse snobbery about it and about "the people" who actually go there. Stone Harbor is a lot quieter; Wildwood is very much the "trashy beach town" in some people's, estimation. Have you considered Cape May?
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:00 PM
Amy

I would definitely recommend Ocean City! It is purportedly in really good shape and it's pretty much the definition of "family friendly." Rental places for ten are no problem.
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:17 PM

I'm surprised that no one has recoemmended Cape May! Great beaches, good food. And, it's close to Wildwood for the kids.
Incidentally, you say you want something that's within an hour or two drive. Cape May comes pretty close to matching, I think.
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:21 PM

PS: After check the exact mileage, on reality, it is impossible to find a beach that is within a 1-2-hour drive from both DC and NYC. It just can't be. Cape May is about a 2 1/2-hour drive from NYC and about 3 1/2 from DC.
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:45 PM

I think they just want 1 - 2 hrs from the NY people
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:54 PM

I would recommend Avon-By-the-Sea. It is a very small family town. All the streets,houses, etc are well kept. The beach is big,clean and beautiful. Growing up that is where I spent my summers.
Old May 1st, 2013, 06:54 PM

Spring Lake=nice beach and nice pool in the pavilion
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:00 AM

Ocean Grove is right next to Asbury Park. Great beach, and a very cute town with some decent eats and shops. The homes are all (or mostly all) Victorian in style and very fun to look at.