Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sleep in Italy- Specific Apartment Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2013, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

After spending an entire Saturday searching for hotels, it's quite obvious to me that if we aren't going to break the bank, we better get apartments. I found this company: Sleep in Italy that looks easy enough to deal with. I can't handle too many choices (like some of the other companies seem to have on their websites!).

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a specific apartment in the below areas (family of 5):
Rome, Florence, Venice, Sorrento ?
Also, can anyone recommend anything in the Cinque Terre?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 07:42 AM

There are many rental agencies, but it you are most interested in Sleep In Italy reviews below is a link to the Slow Trav Rome rental review page. It should be sorted alphabetically by Agency (the third column from the left) - if you scroll down there are many Sleep in Italy reviews

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/lis...wnumber&r=Rome
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 08:59 AM

For Venice, take a look at venicerentals.com. It's a husband/wife team -- he's from Venice and she's American. They have a pretty wide selection of good apts. all over the city.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both you've been very helpful !
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 11:37 AM

layan- I've used SleepInItaly many times. They've always been very good to work with; I've had no issues.

If you fill in the "filter" information (A/C, WiFi, etc),then once properties come up, you will see on the left hand side of the photo gallery a "Guest Book" icon if there have been any reviews of that particular apartment.

You should probably tell us when you are going and for how many days. And if this is 2 adults and 3 kids (ages too), as this helps to determine what kind of sleeping arrangements you would require (sharing of beds, etc).

Good luck!
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 11:41 AM

PS The apartments I've stayed in would all be too small for your needs. However, the owner of the apartment I always rent in Venice happens to have another apartment that might fit your needs: http://www.vrbo.com/222660. While I have not seen this apartment in person, I can tell you her smaller apartment is wonderful. She speaks perfect English and she leaves you a binder with all kinds of useful info on local stores/restaurants; how to use the internet, etc. So, as an owner, I highly recommend her.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 12:36 PM

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/rome/pia...o-borghese?r=s

We have booked this for the end of May, they seem pretty straight in their dealings.

After 25 years of renting in Italy we have arrived at the conclusion that many Italians do not have the Anglo Saxon approach to business dealings. Private individuals landlords frequently do not regard a paid deposit and signed contract as a binding agreement, just an indication that they may rent to you if they feel like it. Our final straw came prior to booking with S in I. We booked, signed and paid up with another private rental in Rome, 3 months later the landlord returned our deposit as he had a better offer of a longer rental during May.

Agencies at least have a reputation to maintain.

S in I have had good reviews both here and on TA.
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 01:06 PM

I have rented apartments from sleepinitaly before and was always satisfied with that company.

The apartment that I have rented for few days for this September is in Via del Corso, not too far from Piazza Venezia.Is on the third floor with a lift ..

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/rome/nav...rso-yellow?r=s
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

@ Dickie_G: I just reserved the same apartment you got It looks lovely and the location is near a metro so really a plus for us! Thank you so much for making the Rome reservation so easy.

I also made our Sorrento reservations. I had to "compromise" with hubby who for some odd reason enjoys standard American hotels so I got the Hilton in Sorrento. It was really odd how the price changed dramatically throughout the day! Luckily, I got it at a fair price (though, admittedly, I paid more than what we would pay if staying somewhere else).

Now I'm off to researching apartments for Florence and Venice. Please keep the specific recommendations coming and thank you so much in advance! I also need reservations for Monterroso (Cinque Terre-- I know I'm spelling that town's name wrong). I checked out the Hotel Margherita (as someone suggested) and it was all booked Any suggestions?
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 08:03 PM

We had a good experience with Sleep in Italy just this past May (Rome, the Seminario apartment with three bedrooms).
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Texas. Seminario looked very nice but it's booked for our stay.

Did you by any chance use Sleep in Italy for Venice? I got something for Florence, but I'm still looking for Venice (and Monterroso too).
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 09:44 PM

This one looks really good for Venice: http://www.sleepinitaly.com/venice/c...=s#prettyPhoto
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Sarge- you are right it does look fantastic. Unfortunately, it's not available for our stay. We will be there 6/29, 30 and July 1 . I'm still looking.

Now I'm confused as to which area in Venice would be most convenient to get to from the train station. I'll start a new thread for that...
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 07:25 AM

Hi again,
We didn't visit Venice on our last trip but plan to do so next year. As we will need a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment on one level (youngest child will be 16 months), I need to start looking...
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 08:11 AM

Why are you confused about which area is most convenient to the train station? Not being snarky, but it seems a map would clear that up pretty quickly.

But since Venice isn't very big, getting to the train station from almost any area isn't a big deal, especially if you're within reasonable distance to a vaporetto stop.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 08:56 AM

I agree - getting to the train station from almost anywhere in Venice proper isn't a big deal. There are vaporetto stops within an easy stroll of the entire city. Focus instead on finding a place in a charming and inviting neighborhood.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:20 PM

Great news!

The apartment is also very close to the park and so you can get a little peace and quiet from the city. It looks great, when are you going?

Our Italian friends, who live in Turin are joining us, they said they will feel like Italian royalty. They also despair about the ethical standards on show in the midst of the current recession. Just be careful with private individual contracts.

That being said, I have had problems in Spain, The Bahamas and the US over the past 3 years with rentals from individuals simply not being as described.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 01:14 PM

For Venice, try this place. We are staying there right now.
http://www.vrbo.com/149494