Sand Fleas (noseeums) on West Coast of FL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of taking a trip to the West coast of FL this summer. We prefer the Sanibel area. My concerns are the sand fleas. Are they abundant in the summer? Is it so bad you can't relax on the beach? Tell me all about them! I would hate to plan a trip there with our young boys and be miserable because everyone is being bitten up all day.

Also, would the fleas be the same in Sanibel as in -- let's say Marco Island? Are they bad all along the SW coast?

Thank you!
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 05:00 PM

To answer your questions, yes, yes and ?. The sand fleas are more abundant in the later summer - which is about where we are now (Europe's already had midsummer celebrations). And yes, Sanibel and Marco Island would be equally affected. Are they bad all along the SW coast. I don't know that one. I grew up in St. Pete and I don't remember them there. The worst I've run into them was on Sanibel. And I LOVE Sanibel. It is definitely the place for young boys. I hope someone chimes in and gives you a remedy. Possibly some repellant works. There is a lot around the island(s) and Ft Myers for young boys to enjoy after beach time.
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM

I have heard various preventatives work...Deet, Skin so Soft, Vitamin B12. But the noseeums, like mosquitos, don't seem to bite during the day and choose their victims. If I don't use any protection, I can eaten alive while my husband has yet to get a bite.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

So then you'd think I'd be fairly safe on the beach as long as the sun is out -- just dont hang out there at night? I too get eaten alive with mosquitos, but they dont touch my hubby. I think his hairy legs prevent them from finding his skin!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Avon Skin So Soft is an excellent preventative for no-seeums.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Had to smile when I saw your post...to us, sand fleas are small crustaceans we use for bait (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX7MWyZtZq8).

Now no-see-ums, on the other hand, are miserable little bugs that can make the beach very unpleasant for me! You don't know they're on you until you get bit. I'm allergic and welt up horribly when bitten. They seem to prefer light colors, and I'm pale, so I must be a walking buffet to them. Luckily, both Cutters and Deep Woods Off seem to be a pretty good defense against them! Also agree that they are worse early in the morning and late in the afternoon.

We were just at Sanibel Island on Monday, and Marco Island on Tuesday. I didn't have any problems with no-see-ums on any of the beaches, and that was without bugspray. Now venturing into the Everglades without it was a whole other story-the misquitos were awful!

It was a great time to visit both places-it was the least crowded we've ever seen them. Not sure if its the economy, or people worried about the oil spill, but either way, traffic was light and there was plenty of open beach.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Oh wow! Now I don't know WHAT to do. Mmmm, should I go, or shouldn't I go? Oh my gosh. I am surprised to hear you had no problems considering what the other folks said. May I ask where you stayed in both areas, or were they just day trips?

Anyone else have any opinions on how bad or NOT so bad these little beasts are right now?

Thanks everyone for replying!
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM

The no-seeums are usually there to some degree in the summer, not usually as bad in cooler weather. They can be on one beach and not another. Sometimes you can avoid them if you stay off the beach in the early morning and as the sun starts to set.

Then the main thing is whether you have an allergic reaction to them ... I went with three other people last year (when they were especially horrible for some reason), and we all got bitten. I'm the only one who re-acted and itched for a week after I got home! No one can tell you if they'll be bad enough to bother you or not. (My first three trips to Sanibel, I barely noticed them except for a couple of times at dusk on the beach ... they sent me running!) Insect repellants work for some, not for others ... nothing worked for me (don't know about the Skin So Soft ..I found it so greasy that it was unbearable.)

No one can give you a guarantee. Sanibel is the only place they've bothered me. I've been to beaches in the Tampa/St. Pete area several times, and never had a problem there. If you go, just know that you might need to stay off the beach at certain times.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 05:26 AM

We were staying in Naples, so both were day trips for us.

I can't remember the name of the beach on Sanibel, but it was a small park as you headed north. Just remember that we turned left at the firehouse. We were there from 2:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m.

On Marco Island, we used the public access closest to the Marriott Resort & Spa. We were there late morning into the early afternoon.

As elsiemoo says, conditions can change from day to day, and beach to beach. We usually walk on Playlinda Beach on the east coast. Most of the time I'm fine, but every now and then, the no-see-ums are on the rampage, and I'm out of there! The kicker is that no matter how much they go after me, they've never bothered my DH once!
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Isn't it bizarre, rascat, how the little pests will feast on one person, and barely have any interest in another? I'm a magnet for both no see-ums and mosquitoes. My husband is the opposite. If I try to stand and have a glass of wine with him (here in Raleigh,) while he's cooking on the grill in the evening, forget it ... the mosquitoes will eat me alive! He never gets bitten, I swear!
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:00 AM

I have been to Sanibel the past 2 summers for vacation, going back on July 31, Yahoo!!! can't wait. I have never had a no-see-um bite me. I don't venture out to the beach after dark, it is REALLY dark out there and I don't want to disturb the turtles, so we stay in. My son goes fishing though at night and I have not heard him complain. We stay at Kings Crown, a nice condo, covered parking, great pool, not a bad walk to the beach, love it!!

Side note to rascat: yes, the sand fleas I know are the ones I used to catch for my Dad to fish with, great memories!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM

Sand fleas are great bait, and, pretty good to eat. No see-ums are a pain, at dusk and night, anywhere in Fl, just use Skin So Soft and you can fish all night, or, whatever.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 03:44 PM

We just wanted folk to know that if you are in an area or hotel where the sand fleas are a problem......beware! My husband is in his fourth month of medical intervention....along with the recommended possibilities.....antibiotics......and major drug expectations....the infestation caused horrific complications for him.....and if you research the viruses they can carry including major plagues.....be wise. If you live in another part of the U.S. it will takeweeks to diagnos.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Rascat has it--apples and oranges. No seeums=midges. Sand fleas you dig up on the beach. Whatever.
If you are having a beach vacation make do with what "happens". Otherwise, just stay home in your high rise with AC on and "enjoy" it. WOW
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 05:17 PM

I NOW see this is a VERY old thread--and Jhopkins is a troll. Sorry to add to it. Reported
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 04:57 AM

My wife swears by B-12 shots.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Etaner,

I have lived in Florida for over 40 years and have been to the beaches hundreds of times on the east and west coast (of Florida). I can honestly tell you that there was only one time when I remember noseeums being really bad. That was during a wedding at dusk in New Smyrna Beach. Do NOT let this ruin your vacation.