Walking around Italy in Toms

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking around Italy in Toms

I'm in my lower 20's and have read that some girls my age would walk in TOM's. Has anyone else worn these for walking around? How comfortable are they?

Also, what other recommendations do you have for shoes that aren't too expensive.

Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How far do you intend to walk? Rome can be difficult - there are many cobbled streets.

I have just returned from the city, and was wearing trainers with reasonably thick soles, and yet the resulting blisters from walking moderate distances meant the trip was less pleasurable than I had hoped.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:31 PM

Check out Easy Spirit, especially the E S Traveller style.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:32 PM

Make that Easy Spirit Travel Time. The wind is playing havoc with my computer.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:39 PM

I don't those super flat shoes comfortable for serious walking. I don't know if I would have at your age.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What's a TOM?
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"What's a TOM?"

That's actually a question asked often when I visit Italy.

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

TOMs are shoes. buy a pair and a pair of shoes gets sent to a child in need

http://www.toms.com/womens/classics/...men-s-classics
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:00 PM

Hard to tell how thick the soles are, but looks like there's no support at all.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:09 PM

There is no support at all in Tom's, and the soles are not thick. I would not recommend them for a trip to Europe unless for just sitting around a cafe in the evening, etc.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM

No arch support = very sore feet (i.e. the dogs will be barking!)
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:21 PM

Stonefly, Merrell, Chaco, Keen, Dansko, Josef Seibel, Naot all make shoes good for walking. I also have some very well broken in Birkenstocks I'll sometimes wear if I am only going to be walking a mile or two, but they are not good for the all day, day after day walking you are going to be doing.

Look online at Sierra Trading Post and 6 pm to see if you can find anything you like. Both places have discontinued and close out models. Honestly, you will ruin your trip if your feet are killing you. Be sure to break in any new shoes before you leave. Also, take a second pair of shoes you can walk in just in case the first pair unexpectedly gives you a blister. That way you will have something to wear that is not going to irritate that same spot. I'm a lot older than you but still don't think I'd want to wear something like that with very thin soles and no support.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM

TOMS are a nice business model with fantastic intent, but they are NOT robust footwear.

If you want footwear that is "not too expensive" ($60 and under? $50 and under?) that will have some support, look for Columbia or Timberland, especially if you can get them at a Rack Room Shoes or Payless Outlet or their own outlet stores. For sandals, most Tevas will be thick enough to withstand the walking around so you don't have to shell out the money for a Merrell, Keen, Mephisto or similar.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:24 PM

What time of year are you going? I wore my Chacos in Italy in May and they did great for me. Not really a great option in the winter, though. I'd take a couple of different pairs, just to give your feet a switch. The Toms might be good for days when you're traveling from city to city, for example, and probably not doing much walking (more sitting on trains).
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 02:34 PM

I wore toms and did quite a bit of walking, Paris, Milan, small villages throughout Provence with no problems at all. For me comfort is a shoe I can slip on with no socks. Now I have moved on to Sperry's, which offer a little more support but still slip on and no socks. Obviously if you plan on hiking these type of shoes would not be a good option, but touring around cities and small towns I find them perfectly suited. Anything to keep my feet out of socks!
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your input! I am going in either May or June and I'm doing a guided tour through Europe. I think i'll buy a pair but I'll also look out for other shoes to bring
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 03:29 PM

I can't imagine 10 minutes in Toms in my home town, let alone 10 hours a day anywhere on vacation. They offer very little support for the arches, no ankle stability, and no protection from impact for toes that may get bumped or jammed by the uneven cobblestone sidewalks. "Not Too Expensive" can be relative... and frankly if you're spending all that money getting yourself to Italy, invest in a $100 pair of Easy Spirits or Eccos or Naturalizers or Lifestride, or Borns, or some other comfort shoe. You can always pack the Toms for a quick outing or an easy stroll, but for all day comfort and stabiity, it's worth finding something a bit more sturdy. I'm the first to admit, I have recently developed achilles tendonitis and some plantar fascitis, so I look at shoes entirely differently now. Good luck, and have fun on your trip.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 03:30 PM

I wore Eccos casual flats and Ecco sneakers, and Sperries top siders. 6 weeks and about 8 to 10KM a day (give or take). Had no trouble at all and am in the 8th decade. I personally like the Sperry best for all round wear. Walking not hiking however, in Spain.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 06:27 PM

I always wear black leather shoes. I am bringing ballet flats but also a pair of comfy prada loafers that I bought on ebay. You must look good. Since my ballet flats don't take much room I am packing my converse black on black high tops for hiking Cinque terre. You are very young, I can't see you in old lady shoes. I am almost 60 and wouldn't wear old lady looking shoes to Italy. I wore hiking boots to Ireland and Normandy but we were hiking not walking and they were over kill but I could walk for miles in flip flops. Tory Burch makes very cute flats as well as french sole. Check out ebay.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 06:36 PM

I think Toms are comfy and would definitely wear them if I were your age. But yes, bring another pair of shoes or two. Nice thing about Toms: they take up almost no room in luggage and they're very light.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -